Glass Carboy vs plastic bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickytan

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Brand new to home brewing. About to get the necessary materials to start brewing (reading The Joy of Home Brewing in the meantime). Quick question. The local home brew supply starter kit provides two 5 gallon plastic buckets among other things. As a newbie, would it be beneficial to have a glass Carboy over one of the plastic buckets? Any advice would be great.

Thanks

You will find lots of opinions, but I think the majority of us use buckets 90% of the time. I only use my glass carboy if I need to age something a long time and do not want to tie up a bucket. I never use it for "normal" beers. Plus, there are a lot of horror stories about the carboys breaking and doing serious damage to legs, hands, arms. If you get one, get a milk crate or the "carboy hauler" strap thingy. They are heavy and slippery.

Welcome to the obsession!

A 5 gallon class carboy will let you rack the beer out of the fermenting bucket and into the carboy for a secondary. If you are going to get a 5gal glass carboy get one in addition to both buckets. There is some debate amongst folks if a secondary is necessary. If you plan on bottling your brew you will want both buckets.

Good answers......I agree.
Glass is hard to work with, and so much heavier. I used them decades ago but quickly tired of glass. Now I use plastic buckets (Ale Pale's) and Better Bottles. My beers have only gotten better and it's not because of the fermenter I'm using. Keep things clean and you'd be surprised how hard it is to frack up beer.

Buy plastic carboys(better bottle), not glass ones...I don't understand the point of glass ones when we have plastic, then are so much safer to use and cheaper so you can get more. I understand glass is easier to clean, but honestly I've never had an issue cleaning one.

Buckets are fine for most stuff. For using a secondary (if you decide to do that) go with a carboy because you want as little surface area as possible because oxidation is a greater risk during secondary as your yeast won't be producing co2 and pushing the oxygen out.

I second the recommendation of better bottles!

Quoted from the "This vs. That" thread:
llazy_llama said:
Fermentation vessels: Buckets Vs. Better Bottles Vs. Glass Carboys Vs. Plastic Water Bottles Vs. Corney Kegs
(Please note that this list does not include conical fermenters. Odds are, if you are willing to invest that kind of money, you probably already know the sweeping benefits of a conical. That, and I'm poor, and can't afford a conical, so I have no experience there.)

Buckets:
Pros:
[*]Cheap
[*]Readily Available
[*]Opaque, which prevents skunking
[*]Easy to modify if they aren't pre-drilled for an airlock
[*]Light weight
[*]Built in handle
[*]Wide opening makes cleaning a breeze
[*]Wide opening also makes sanitation a breeze. Spray it with sanitizer, then just flip it upside down to drain
Cons:
[*]Unimpressive looking
[*]Lids often seal poorly. While this isn't a bad thing for people who know what they're doing, it often scares the new folk when they don't see their airlock bubbling
[*]Plastic scratches easily, which can harbor bacteria
[*]Opaque, so you can't see the beauty of fermentation
[*]Some use gaskets instead of drilled stoppers. These gaskets love to fall into the beer when an airlock is added.
[*]Can't use a wort wizard with a bucket
[*]Even with careful handling and proper care, a bucket won't last you a lifetime
[*]If you do get an infection (which is uncommon, borderline rare with proper sanitation) you'll most likely have to throw away any plastic equipment to prevent further batches from becoming infected.
[*]Generally they have a lot of headspace. This isn't a problem for primary fermentation, as CO2 will displace the air in your bucket. It can, however, pose a problem if you're using it for a secondary. You can boil a few thousand marbles to sanitize them, then rack your beer on top of that. Seems like more hassle than it's worth to me, but I don't usually secondary
Better Bottles:
Pros:
[*]Less expensive than glass carboys
[*]Transparent, so you can watch the fermentation
[*]Firm seal with a cheap stopper, so you can be sure to get that happy music out of your airlock
[*]Wider mouth than glass carboys. You can insert a seriously massive blowoff tube.
[*]Light weight. Easier to move and cheaper to ship than glass carboys. Also easier to sanitize than glass carboys if you use the Llama method of 1 gallon of water, Star San, and shaking the **** out of it for a few minutes
[*]Has a handy indentation on the underside. This makes aeration a breeze if you stick a tennis ball underneath and just spin it like mad
[*]Looks pretty cool compared to a bucket
[*]Can come with a built in racking set up
[*]Easier to drain Star San out of. If you fear the foam, you can flip it upside down over the sink and give it a few gentle squeezes. That puffs most of the foam out
[*]Nearly indestructible. Edwort made a nice video on Youtube about how tough they are. Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP6ZEenvRho
Cons:
[*]The racking modification easily doubles the price
[*]More expensive than buckets
[*]Transparent, which can allow light in. Easily remedied by draping a dark t-shirt over the BB
[*]Cannot handle negative pressure. You can still use a wort wizard with them, but you have to burp them a few times
[*]Made of plastic, which can become scratched if you try to use a carboy brush on them
[*]Only available in 3, 5, and 6 gallon sizes. If you're making a big beer, and using a 6 gallon primary BB, you can expect a decent blow off. If you're using a 5 gallon BB for primary for just about any beer, you can bet on blow off 90% of the time
[*]If you make a post about how much you love better bottles on HBT, someone will inevitably chime in about oxygen permeability
[*]If you do get an infection (which is uncommon, borderline rare with proper sanitation) you'll most likely have to throw away any plastic equipment to prevent further batches from becoming infected.
[*]Any plastic gear you use will eventually need to be replaced. Sorry, but it just won't last forever
Plastic Water Bottles:
Pros:
[*]You can find them anywhere
[*]Cheap
[*]Less expensive than glass carboys
[*]Translucent, so you can watch the fermentation
[*]Firm seal with a cheap stopper, so you can be sure to get that happy music out of your airlock
[*]Light weight. Easier to move and cheaper to ship than glass carboys. Also easier to sanitize than glass carboys if you use the Llama method of 1 gallon of water, Star San, and shaking the **** out of it for a few minutes
[*]You can drill a hole and install a bulkhead to create a racking modification similar to that used with better bottles
[*]Some of them have built in handles
Cons:
[*]Some aren't made of #1 or #2 plastic, making them unsuitable for our purposes
[*]IMHO, they look cheaper than the buckets
[*]Translucent, which can allow light in. Easily remedied by draping a dark t-shirt over the bottle
[*]Made of plastic, which can become scratched if you try to use a carboy brush on them
[*]Cannot handle negative pressure. You might still be able to get away with a wort wizard if you burp it as with a BB
[*]Any plastic gear you use will eventually need to be replaced. Sorry, but it just won't last forever
[*]Does have higher oxygen permeability, so you might not want to bulk age in a water bottle for more than a few months
Glass Carboys:
Pros:
[*]They just plain look awesome. If you're going for the mad scientist look, glass is the way to go
[*]They can be cleaned with a carboy brush. You can scrub the crap out of them without fear
[*]Can handle negative pressure, if you use a wort wizard
[*]With proper care, they can outlive you
[*]Transparent, so you can watch the fermentation
[*]You get a great seal, so your airlock will bubble away happily
[*]Most any homebrew store will have tubing that fits straight into the neck for a pretty big blowoff tube
[*]Most any homebrew store will sell accessories specifically made for glass carboys. Carriers, caps, blow off tubes, etc...
Cons:
[*]Drop it once, and it's a dead carboy
[*]Many people have had to go to the hospital because of glass carboys. Gotta be careful with these things
[*]Most expensive fermenter on this list
[*]Heaviest fermenter on this list. Makes cleaning and aeration harder, and makes shipping much more expensive
[*]Recently glass carboys have seen a huge degradation in manufacturing quality. We've seen a few break for what seemed like no reason

Cornelius Keg
Pros:
1. No glass carboys to break.
2. No delicate plastic surfaces to scratch and consequently harbor bacteria.
3. No UV worries.
4. Very tolerant to temperature.
5. Convenient carry handles.
6. Interchangeable vessels/ streamlined process. I can ferment, age, bottle and serve from all the same containers.
7. Not finicky to sanitize, I can use whatever product I want.
8. Dented cornies can be hammered back out with a rubber mallet.
9. Can be stored sanitized and pressed with a little CO2 more or less indefinitely, thus I can brew anytime without having to check if the primary is clean.
10. All one container type. I usually wait until I have three or four (used, rinsed) backed up before I bother breaking out the OxyClean.
11. Since I can harvest yeast out of cornies I am somewhat less interested even in conicals.
12. Can tolerate spunding valves/ pressurized primary ferments.
13. Carboy brush is quaint reminder of bygone era.
14. Cornies tolerate sharpie marker labels directly on bare steel, cleans up easily with hot water, OxyClean, green scrubber. Just to the side of the black post in case of drips...

Cons:

1. More expensive than buckets, more expensive than carboys. Cheaper than conicals though ;-)
2. O-rings are less durable than glass.
3. Several parts to keep track of, organizational skills required.
4. Multiple surfaces means cornies are less forgiving of marginal sanitation pratices.

Where's Revvy? :)

Everyone uses what they want to use. A fermentation can happen in any vessel. I think glass carboys look better but I am afraid for my safety every time I bump it against the sink while cleaning.

I agree, I just thought that piece of info was worth sharing...I should have linked to it, but my app wouldn't let me

adamjackson said:
"Guys, there's no activity in the airlock of this kangaroo's pouch. did I do something wrong?"

:mug:

The mental image I got from this was all too precious!

Very few people give any real credence to the whole glass vs plastic idiocy. Most of us laugh when we hear those arguments bandied about. It's usually from the extremely noobish, and/or unscrupulous (or just plain ignorant) LHBS people trying to pimp an expensive glass carboy to the unsuspecting, rather than a cheaper (and just as fine) better bottle or plastic bucket.

The yeast don't care what they do their job in....In reality a fermenter is a fermenter is a fermenter.....glass, plastic, carboy, bucket, jerry can, keg, milk jug, ceramic crock, glass hurricane jar, stainless steel or plastic conicals, pet food storage vessels (vittle vaults), HD or Lowe's buckets, frosting buckets, water jugs, the old Mr Beer jug...All of those and anything you can think of, all work perfectly fine, and have been used by hundreds if not thousands of brewers...

No one type is better or worse than any other...good beer or crappy beer can be made in all of them, dependant onthe brewer, NOT what it's fermented in...

It's really just a matter of preference, nothing more....

It really isn't rocket science, it's really about using what works for you.

It won't have an "impact" on the beer one bit.

I used buckets, and they worked, but they started to get stinky even with regular cleaning and sanitizing, so I got a carboy and I like to be able to look inside of it. It's pretty neat. :)

ahaley said:
I used buckets, and they worked, but they started to get stinky even with regular cleaning and sanitizing, so I got a carboy and I like to be able to look inside of it. It's pretty neat. :)

Let me guess, they started smelling like... Beer.

My kit kit came with a glass 5 gal carboy and plastic bottling bucket. I soon after my first batch bought a 6.5 bucket fermenter. The bucket is now my number one fermentor. Its nice to have the glass carboy as a secondary "although i hardly use it". This is coming from a one batch at a time brewer. Come winter i may just make use of that glass carboy for longer fermentation of big brews.

bottlebomber said:
Let me guess, they started smelling like... Beer.

Exactly ;)
No the heat from the garage made them smell like... Musty almost

I always use glass because I like to watch the beer ferment. I can sit and watch it for hours. lol

Revvy said:
Which doesn't affect the next batch, and is easily gotten rid of by leaving the bucket in the sun for a couple hours.
Huh I haven't heard that. It makes sense though. I usually give my buckets a low dose oxyclean soak on the sunny side of the garage for a day. Even one of the buckets I made sauerkraut in smelled fine and didn't cause me any problems.
ahaley said:
Exactly ;)
No the heat from the garage made them smell like... Musty almost

It seems like it would be any easy fix. Plus, just having an odor doesn't mean that it is going to effect the next batch. I'll bet the brew kettle would smell kind of funky too if you put your head in there.

With enough Starsan/Iodophor you can ferment in a kangaroo's pouch.

That pretty well says it all! I agree completely. The beer does not care what kind of bucket/carboy/vessel you use to make it in. The process and sanitation is WAY more important than the material used to make the fermenter.

Not to kick a old thread.. but since this is the beginners forum.. why isn't this thing stickied :)

I meant a thread titles carboy vs plastic or something like that.. maybe sticky the best of them.

That would probably cut down on the duplicate threads of this nature :)

I meant a thread titles carboy vs plastic or something like that.. maybe sticky the best of them.

That would probably cut down on the duplicate threads of this nature :)

In all my time here I've found that there's absolutely NOTHING that will cut down on duplicate threads on here. Stickeys don't do it. Neither does have a whole bunch of threads with the same title active at the same time.

In all my time here I've found that there's absolutely NOTHING that will cut down on duplicate threads on here. Stickeys don't do it. Neither does have a whole bunch of threads with the same title active at the same time.

Coming from someone who owns and runs a forum for 9 years now this is so correct.

You can't fix stupid and many users simply can't use a search option....:drunk:

as for the original question I have both and my input is this.

Buckets are SOOOOO Much easier to deal with and get the job done.

Glass Carboys are cool looking but a PITA to deal with.

I have 6 glass carboys based on guidance from a professional brewer. However, based on the notes above I will do this weekend's batch in a bucket. I plan to brew BierMunchers SWMBO Slayer (Belgian Blonde), so it won't be in primary for an extended period.

I see so many experienced brewers using buckets, and it would be a heck of a lot safer and easier to move / clean / store equipment. (I will miss watching the kreusen...that's about all I will miss)

I do try to use the search function.. often the questions aren't asked in the title (Which makes it hard to find) or the threads are either too long or go off topic, so the answer your looking for is hard to find or are confusing or lastly sometimes the thread I find is so old I feel bad about kicking an old one.

I also usually go through the stickys first.. and if I dont see ti there then I go search.

Also if I find a recent enough, I will try to piggy back on it.

If it is old and the best thread I have found and still have questions not clear in that thread. I will try to add to that thread. (But then sometimes you have people ask "Why did you wake this old thread..?")

That said, ic an see how this hobby would be hard to corral everyone, at least in a car forum the cars are the same for the most part each time.

I have 6 glass carboys based on guidance from a professional brewer. However, based on the notes above I will do this weekend's batch in a bucket. I plan to brew BierMunchers SWMBO Slayer (Belgian Blonde), so it won't be in primary for an extended period.

I see so many experienced brewers using buckets, and it would be a heck of a lot safer and easier to move / clean / store equipment. (I will miss watching the kreusen...that's about all I will miss)

<<<< --- See my avatar :)

Its like having both.. I got it from a friend. I REALLY wish I could find out where it came from, so I could better find it online (haven't found another copy of it yet).

Light, (Actually lighter than a bucket)

I can see through it.

All the measurements are on it (Both English and Metric)

Fits my sink :)

As for my secondary.. decided on this:

http://www.dwbrewproducts.com/shop/index.php/carboys-c-16

Also going to be getting their SS growlers to condition in.

Back