BeerSmith 2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now believe the new version is totally not worth moving to, long live old version! I use the old one solely now, it's so much less confusing and easy to see the important stuff that you need to see. Like finding your potential ABV: why should I EVER need to shift to another tab for that? That's a key thing I want to know when composing a recipe, every single time.

Old version = wintastic, new version = lots of fluff and confusion.

Estimated ABV is on the Recipe Design tab, as well as the default view if you just click on the recipe in it's list (on the left)...

IMO, the changes under the hood made the move an easy one. Having it change the estimated FG to match the mash profile (IMO) is a big plus. It's actually hit my actual FG for the last few batches (when I entered the correct info so that it matched actual temps of the day)... ABV calculations are still a hair off, but far closer than in 1.x...

I do wish that the sort order of the ingredients on the classic recipe sheet would match up the order in the Recipe Design tab... Would make it a bit easier come brew day. BUT, since I take BeerSmith with me, on either a tablet or laptop, it's not much of an issue at all.

IME, the color estimation is a bit off in it's visual representation. At least in my darker brews.

Color estimation, even if handled perfectly by the software, would always tend to look way off anyways unless you have an expensive, perfectly calibrated IPS-panel monitor, the kind that cost graphic designers and editors about triple the cost of an otherwise similar TN-panel ("normal") monitor.

So... perfect color estimation is pretty much pointless, and for all most people know, the software could even have it!

Even though I do color calibrate my screens (via a hardware unit) it's not always as close as I would like it. It probably doesn't help that I'm color blind too. I am due to calibrate my screens again, which could help.

It does appear to be a closer guestimation than the previous release.

Of course, the software (I don't think) can take into account kettle caramelization... At least I have a fairly decent idea of the color the brew should be... I do wish I could locate a good (pre-printed) color chart for the entire range of colors. With clear bands often enough that I could find the color the brew should be (per my recipe)...

emjay said:
BeerSmith always assumes the exact same 75% attenuation no matter which yeast strain(s) you specify, so using it to get an idea of the final ABV is pretty useless

Does it? I notice that if I change my yeast from wlp001 to wlp007 it shows a change in FG due to the difference in attenuation between the two strains

teddy4xp said:
Does it? I notice that if I change my yeast from wlp001 to wlp007 it shows a change in FG due to the difference in attenuation between the two strains

2.0? I'm not sure about the new one. I don't think it did originally, but with the new automatic updating feature, and (as a result) the constant incremental updates, it may very well have been fixed.

BeerSmith 1.4 always figures the same attenuation though, making it a bit pointless to revert to just because you can "see it more easily", because the number it calculates is pretty much useless.

2.0? I'm not sure about the new one. I don't think it did originally, but with the new automatic updating feature, and (as a result) the constant incremental updates, it may very well have been fixed.

BeerSmith 1.4 always figures the same attenuation though, making it a bit pointless to revert to just because you can "see it more easily", because the number it calculates is pretty much useless.

Different yeasts have different attenuation percentages in 1.4...but I use all of three different kinds of yeast that all happen to be around 75% anyways. For me this works out fine.

But really I'm not looking for some exact .001 ABV accuracy. I'm looking for "Gee did that swing it over 6% or am I still around 4%?", that's it.

For me though, 1.4 is laid out in a much cleaner manner and doesn't succumb to the fluff that is modern marketing tells us we all need (tabs, fancy colors, information overload).

Nice... gonna get this soon... I thought there was a timer option available or something... Did that get nixed? In any case, good stuff.. thanx

Maybe I missed it and I can't find it in the help file.Where is the efficiency calculator where you can input your numbers from you batch and get your brewhouse efficiency?

Thanks

How many of you delete most of the Mash profiles? I just cant stand looking through that list to find the two I routinely use. Also, is there a way to turn off "Top of to X gallons" on the brew sheet. The volumes of sparge water change depending on which mash profile you use. I'd rather it just tell me to dough in with X gallons and sparge with the balance that would equal my pre-boil volume.

saving a recipe in BS2.... Id like the little beer glass to be saved along with my recipe, yeah when printing it might not turn out,but if emailing recipe to sharing it would be a nice touch to have it.

I know 1.4 had the little color swatch

-=Jason=-

Does anyone know how to add ingredients to BeerSmith? I want to use Orange Blossom Honey and it isnt already in the Misc. Ingredients section...

I finally found the "add misc. item" button... Nevermind. I though it would allow me to enter its sugar contents but it looks like it only allows for the title and reccomended amount for a batch of brew.

I finally found the "add misc. item" button... Nevermind. I though it would allow me to enter its sugar contents but it looks like it only allows for the title and reccomended amount for a batch of brew.

Right. You should add honey under Grain ingredients, even though it is not a malt extract or grain. You will find that Honey (not Orange Blossom, just generic) is already listed there. This is another weird holdover from the previous version of Beersmith.

20 minutes to figure out how to add items? Wow.

Has Brad been emailed about all these PIBKAC errors? I heard he fixes things.

20 minutes to figure out how to add items? Wow.

Has Brad been emailed about all these PIBKAC errors? I heard he fixes things.

It may be partly user error, but its far an intuitive layout. There is simply too much redundant crap being displayed at once.

So far as Brad fixing things I will wait and see. For whatever reason he decided it was necessary to stop updating the 1.0 version and make this new one, and then not release any updates at all for the next 5 years.

I thought if he spent 5 damn years on it he would have addressed some of these issues, but apparently not. Also, it shouldn't take 5 years to write 50k lines of what appears to me to be poorly designed code. He could have literally written the damn application, scrapped all the work, redesigned, and written it again several times in that period. So maybe that's what he did. But I think there are still major design issues in this application and it drives me nuts.

I am seriously considering writing my own damn program at this point.

So far as Brad fixing things I will wait and see. For whatever reason he decided it was necessary to stop updating the 1.0 version and make this new one, and then not release any updates at all for the next 5 years.

I thought if he spent 5 damn years on it he would have addressed some of these issues, but apparently not. Also, it shouldn't take 5 years to write 50k lines of what appears to me to be poorly designed code. He could have literally written the damn application, scrapped all the work, redesigned, and written it again several times in that period. So maybe that's what he did. But I think there are still major design issues in this application and it drives me nuts.

I am seriously considering writing my own damn program at this point.

Ummm, so if it's that bad then I'd suggest using something different. Or maybe contribute to the development of Brewtarget or Q-Brew. Or take the code and use that as a starting point for something new.

Bottom line: If you are disappointed in the software, don't use it. If you like the software, use it. If you like 1.4 better than 2.0, use 1.4. If you pre-ordered an upgrade to 2.0 and are that disappointed then ask Brad for a refund.

Just my $.02...

P.S. If you decide to write your own software I'll volunteer to beta test.

I am already doing those things. I keep trying to use 2.0 because I did preorder it and feel like maybe I am just not used to it, but there's a bunch of little things that are just not very well designed.

I am not sure what you're getting at. I have sent emails and posted some bugs and suggestions on the forum there. I have gotten absolutely zero responses. I would like to give Brad a chance to redeem himself by actually making 2.0 a better program.

I am not sure what you're getting at.

He might be a bit defensive. He WAS one of the beta testers.

FWIW, I agree with most of the complaints here. I write code as well and keep asking myself how I would better lay out the screen. Not sure. I do know that I'd get rid of at least one layer of menus at the top, and the folder view on the left.

My biggest issue is that I would not be able to recommend this to new brewers.

passedpawn said:
He might be a bit defensive. He WAS one of the beta testers.

FWIW, I agree with most of the complaints here. I write code as well and keep asking myself how I would better lay out the screen. Not sure. I do know that I'd get rid of at least one layer of menus at the top, and the folder view on the left.

I'm sure though, as someone with some knowledge of programming (and this is ASSUMING you're significantly beyond, "Hello World"), that you'd also have a bit more understanding and patience with its current status than most of the complaints here, no?

Not defensive, insomuch as I like the software better than any other brewing software I've used. I do agree the interface is a bit cluttered but overall an improvement over the previous version. And yes, I was one of the many beta testers.

The point I was making was that if you really dislike it that much then don't use it, or use something else, or write something else.

While there are issues with Beersmith 2.0, as there were with Beersmith 1.4, it is probably the best brewing software out at the moment. I use it & like it.

Not trying to start a fight, just stating my opinion.

The point I was making was that if you really dislike it that much then don't use it, or use something else, or write something else.

I don't get how that is making any point at all since I had already said I was doing that.

It may be partly user error, but its far an intuitive layout. There is simply too much redundant crap being displayed at once.

I don't think it's user error in my case. It's just confusingly laid out. It still baffles me why the bar with all the buttons you need on it feels like it's not even related to the window you're currently working on.

Sorry guys, I don't have time to read the whole tread, I apologize if this has been answered here before, but I have version 1.4 I think in my PC and now would like to install version 2.0 in my Mac since it has finally become available for Macs!!!

Do I have to buy a new program for the upgrade? Is there a discount for current 1.4 users?

Sorry guys, I don't have time to read the whole tread, I apologize if this has been answered here before, but I have version 1.4 I think in my PC and now would like to install version 2.0 in my Mac since it has finally become available for Macs!!!

Do I have to buy a new program for the upgrade? Is there a discount for current 1.4 users?

The upgrade discount is only available until 31 August 2011, so please upgrade early to avoid paying full price. The upgrade price will be $19.95 until 31 August 2011 and full price for users who choose to upgrade after that date.

LINKY

Probably too late but my experience is...

1.4 is a great program. Almost perfect and with a few slight changes it would be perfect. The ONLY issue I had was I had to run Parallels on my Mac to run the program in Windows. I've been using Macs for more than 20 years so my entire reason for upgrading to 2.0 was the Mac version. I have tried *all* the Mac software out there and I still found Beersmith 1.4 to be far far superior.

I am now back to 1.4!!! 2.0 was not just a port to Mac, it was a whole new program and it frankly is IMHO far far inferior to the original version: a cluttered ugly interface, bug after bug after bug, and weird seemingly quite arbitrary changes (like the new awful calendar view.) I paid for the upgrade but I consider it a total waste of money. I'll wait for 2.5 for the myriad bugs to be dealt with and then re-evaluate but I suspect I will still prefer 1.4. How an almost perfect piece of Brewing software was "revised" to a buggy convoluted nightmare is beyond me but that is what happened.

To wit: I am resigned to running Windows on my Mac for a long time to come...!

God how I wish this software was simply ported, unchanged to Mac OS instead of being rewritten. Oh well.

YMMV and WTF
Steve da sleeve

I just go with what Mr. Malty says for my starters... I'm using a stirplate now, so I get to make smaller ones than before. :rockin: Plus, I have two flasks (2L and 3L) to use on the plate... I made a 1.75L starter on the stirplate for my last batch... It was close enough to what I needed for cell count (according to Mr. Malty)... Took off like mad in the 8-18 hour range (while no one was there to check on it)... Of course, I also hit it with pure O2 via the stone wand and O2 tank.

I have to say that I'm loving having the stirplate... SO much easier to make starters now. Plus, I don't need to worry about making monster starters. 95% of my brews won't need more than a 3L starter with the stirplate. Of course, having two flasks also means I can make two starters for a batch if I need to. :rockin:

At this point, I would trust Mr. Malty for starter size... As much as I like BeerSmith 2.0, I think there's something wrong with the math in the starter section... Hopefully a patch/update will be released (sooner rather than later) to address this...

Something else that would be nice to have... Proper carbonation calculations. I'm kegging 2.5-3 gallons of each batch, bottling the balance. Right now, BeerSmith is useless for figuring out how much sugar to add/use... Luckily, there are enough online tools that I can get the amount easily, and quickly. It would just be nice to have the option to call out that you're kegging part and bottling the rest...

I didn't see where anyone else answered this, but I did find that you can change the options for using a stir plate if you think the growth factor is too high. I did. I think default is something like 2.66, which is why it seems it is so high. You can change it so that you get results closer to Mr Malty and then just use this for starters.

I'm a 1.4 user from way back. Then I got a mac and downloaded Beer Alchemy. Good program except it lacks some features that Beersmith had. I just had a chance to download the new 2.0 recently since it's available for my Mac. Boy am I dissapointed. I mean, it has a lot of great features but the user interface is complete garbage. The screen is so cluttered and there's a lot of redundant information. For the amount of time that Mac users waited, its time wasted. I will NOT be purchasing this program. I love Beersmith 1.4, but I'm waiting for a newer version than 2.0 for my Mac.

Explain this away? I've been hesitant to actually brew a beer with this shaky upgrade, although technically accurate, WTF!!

Capture-14.png

wildwest450 said:
Explain this away? I've been hesitant to actually brew a beer with this shaky upgrade, although technically accurate, WTF!!

The 750ml bottle of Double Dead Guy I just finished off the night with probably isn't helping, but I'm having difficulty spotting anything wrong with that screenshot :eek:

Yep, agreed - pounds + ounces is much easier on the brain!

I'm sure the 8lb 16oz is just an internal rounding thing; maybe the recipe contents were automatically adjusted for some reason, and instead of the original 9.000 lbs, internally it's now 8.999 lbs. Rounding poundage down yields 8 pounds, and rounding ounces up yields 16 ounces.

Latest posts

Back