barley wine in wrong bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
ok guys, I have a year old barley wine, which is great. I already drank 20 bottles, and now I have just 10 more left.

I made a mistake with it because I bottled it in really ugly bottles, with different caps on....

My friends are coming soon and I'd like to serve this barley wine to them, but it would be much cooler if I could serve it from a nicer bottles.

I have some reeeally cool grolsch type bottles from Fisher tradition french beer that I had some time ago.

they look like this:

imag0065z.jpg

I'd like to transfer my already aged barley wine from ugly bottles to these nice ones - is it smart to do it, and is there a way to do it at all?

It's quite carbonated, I'd say that it's even way too much carbonated, but I like it like this....

If I put it in the freezer and keep it there almost until it freezes, and then transfer quickly, would it be a good idea?

Do you want to ruin the last few bottles of it? It's just like those people who post that they want to enter a contest but all they have are 22's and the rules require 12 ouncers, so they ask if they could just pour the beer from the old bottles to the new ones. And would trained judges who are trying to pick pout every little hint of oxygenation and other off flavors notice?

Remember oxygen + Already Fermented Beer = Liquid cardboard.

If they're planning to drink it the day you present it, than MAYBE...but if they plan on storing it? Do you want to give the oxygenated beer? And if they're going to drink the beer today, does it really matter if it's going to be in a plain bottle, or a mason jar?

Rather than do that, why don't you just put a nice gift tag on the other bottles. They're going to be more excited about what's inside than the outside anyway.

Use my Hanging Bottle Gift Tags, and a ribbon around the neck and forget about it.

I wouldn't do it. Your gonna serve them the barley wine in a glass right? Just do the pouring yourself and they will hardly care about the bottle.

You could always makes bottle cap labels and/or true bottle labels and make your current bottles look better...

ok, just wanted to check it with you. I wouldn't do it anyway unless there is a safe way to do it. Now I see that it's not worth it.

Instead of bringing the bottles to them, I'll just bring it in cool glasses :)

thank you all!

BTW, the only time I let someone else pour me one of my own bottles, I got the entire amount of settled yeast in my glass. So, unless your buddies also make homebrew, you should be the one pouring anyway.

yeah, not worth ruining something that you put so much time and effort into.
That said, I like those new bottles - maybe time to get a new barleywine batch going so you can use them!

Back