first kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorBoyBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys just thought i would post some pics of my first kegerator build. Picked up the frig on craigslist for 200. Wanted a freezer frig combo so i can store cold mugs in the freezer. I picked up the cabinet doors at the cabinet shop i work at. They were off color so i picked them up for 20 bucks. Gonna insert a dry erase board in the center of the freezer one. So i will be able to write whats in each tap. Plans are for three taps on the frig door with a drip tray that drains back inside to a catch can. Frig will hold 6 cornies and the co2 tank. Plans are to have 3 on tap and 3 in a nice holding pattern! Lol! Feel free to let me know what u think and offer any suggestions!

2010-12-28 14.56.38.jpg

2010-12-28 14.56.46.jpg

No no no no! A dry erase board will compromise how cool the cabinet boards and black fridge look... They make tap handles both chalkboard, dry erase, and generic that you can print and stick into small holders on the handle. I think it'll match the overall design of the kegerator whereas a dry erase board will throw it off. Take a look at this and that and this

Oh yeah one more thing. Am I missing something because you said it fits 6 cornies and a co2 tank, but in your pic it looks like you have 3 cornies and it's almost full inside. You plan on putting a keg or tank in the door?

I'm really looking forward to your finished piece too. Good luck, I'm looking to learn a few things before my first builds.

The frig actually is bigger then it looks. It will fit 3 cornies from side to side. I only have five right now but they all fit with the co2 laying down in the bottom of the door.....well if i dont do the dry erase does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with the freezer door???? Those chalk board taps are nice!........ How do guys that have the long tap handles open their freezer door? Def dont want mine to stick up that high.

2010-12-28 17.29.33.jpg

The frig actually is bigger then it looks.
You weren't kidding. WOW.

How do guys that have the long tap handles open their freezer door? Def dont want mine to stick up that high.

Great question. I didn't realize that those tap handles I recommended were 7-12in tall. Smaller tap handles would be your only option. I'm sure they have those chalkboard ones smaller, or hell, you could even make your own, or modify existing ones. They make chalkboard spray paint that you can pick up at the local hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes).

I'd recommend against laying your tank on its side as well. You need to remember, the CO2 in the tank is compressed into a liquid state, and you'll have liquid CO2 trying to run through your regulator. Won't work.

I realize that bout the co2. So im either gonna notch out the second shelf in the door so it will stand upright. Or just simply store 5 kegs instead of 6 and stand it up in the main chamber. I wonder how good that chalkboard pant works? And i used locktight grab tight to hold the doors along with the gold ceramic coated lags from lows. They stick thru the cabinet doors and into the frig bout 3/8 of and inch. Wish u could see these doors they are knotty alder with heirloom distressing that we do at work they really look cool.

Well it looks awesome. Have you thought about putting the taps on the side?

Might look kinda funny but they will be out of the way and you can have the larger chalkboard ones.

If you have designed your own home brewery logo, have a smallish plaque mounted in the centre of the freezer door. Maintains the beauty of the wood, adds class and looks cool.

B

i have the exact same fridge and turned it into a kegerator. i put my taps on the side because i too was worried about freezer door clearance. i am 6'1" and didnt want to have to squat to poor a beer off a low tap on the door. i also wanted to make custom tap handles that would be too long for the freezer door to clear. see pic.
DSC_0395.jpg

That thing looks great. +1 to leaving the cabinet doors alone. Buy a seperate chalkboard to write on.

The inside of your fridge looks similar to mine. I only have 2 kegs, but was/am worried about the weight of 10 galons of beer on that glass. Think it will be okay, or should I put a piece of wood on it and set the kegs on that? I'll have to pull out the top shelf so the kegs will fit, but I'll have more space than leaving the top shelf and pulling out the drawrers.

My 1st 'kegged' batch gets starts cold crashing on Saturday, assuming the gravity holds steady between to day and then. I can't freakin' wait !

The kegerators I've seen with the same issue of long tap handles, have had the two doors attached so that you can't open one without the other. One that I've seen showed that the fridge door could be opened by itself or both opened if the freezer door was opened. I haven't run across the thread yet.

Feel free to let me know what u think and offer any suggestions!

I think it looks great, and agree with the others who recommend an option other than the white board. If you really want to go the white board route, I'd suggest just using magnets, and putting it on the side of the fridge ;)

Also, I think you should build a shelf to replace the bottom drawer - I do not trust glass and plastic to support the weight of that much beer.

I am anxious to see the final result!

P.S. I am a side-tap guy too... but I think front taps would look great with the wood work.

ETA: it was already covered, but don't leave the co2 on it's side like that :)

i have my kegs sitting on the glass drawers. the most weight i have had on them is 2 full 5 gallon kegs and 1 half full 5 gallon keg along with my 5 lb CO2 tank. i was worried about the weight but it appears they can support a good bit of weight as long as you dont slam a keg down on them it should be fine. i will say though if you are planning on putting more than 3 kegs in there i would take them out and replace with something stronger. i really dont see you getting 6 kegs in there cause with 3 in mine and the co2 tank it is tough to maneuver things around. you may get 6 in there now but once you get all your tubing hooked up and gas lines and all, you will be surprised how much space it takes up and it will be a ***** if you have to get one out from the back. im just making a suggestion so you dont drill all your holes then discover you cant fit everything in there.

i made my chalkboard with a cheap frame, finished, plywood, and chalkboard paint. cheap and works great and is attached with magnets so i can take it off and re-position if needed.

Hey guys thanx for all the feedback! First off ive decided to go with two taps and just have 3 kegs inside. 2 on and 1 staged. Ive decided to reinforce the bottom shelf with some square tubing and plywood. Just to be safe. Im also thinkink about sticking with the plain black small tap handles and trying out the chalkboard paint in the center of the top wood door. Oh! and yes jaysus your eyes are correct those are disc in that bag! Lol! That pic shows my lil shed i brewed in that day because it was raining! Notice the unlaced boots and the wonderful lighting! LMAO!

Tip on the chalkboard paint - buy the spray can version as it is MUCH cheaper than the brush on. also buy a good spray primer and use that first. im sure your cabinets are already pretty smooth and finished but just give them a light sand with a fine grit sand paper then hit it with a coat or 2 of primer then a couple of coats of chalkboard paint. i am very pleased with how mine came out and it was super easy.

Back