i did a stupid thing with the airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53sparks

Reaction score
this is my first batch it has been inthe primary for about 20 hrs i never noticed any activitey, but i was not really worried, reading things on here about how long it can take, i never really knew what people meant by bubbling so much a minute or whatever, then on my own i figured out i needed to fill my airlock 1/2 full of water, (what a bonehead) i did this now and was thinking it could have been working the whole time, is this a safe asumption? and would it have messed anything up not filling the air lock up 20 hrs into it? thanks any input would be appreciated?
Thanks Ron

Well, in order to protect your wort, you should have put water in the airlock. But, since it wasn't very long, and fermentation was probably starting, it'll be ok. Believe me, you aren't the first person to do that, and I know you won't be the last!

There are times the whole fermenter is uncovered like when the airlock gets clogged and the lid blows off. And those beers always turn out fine. So, yours will be fine, too!

Watch your beer very carefully, I am 99% certain you are probably going to wind up with a massive yeast infection. The good thing about having a massive yeast infection in there is that it will almost kill any other type of germ or bacteria that could have gotten in when you didn't have the airlock on. If you are worried about the yeast infection, you can always ship your beer to me in Boston for proper disposal.

donasay, is that your way of telling me its gonna be fine, dont pick on the new guy ha ha Ron

Another thing a lot of people do "yours truly included" is use Vodka in the airlock just incase some gets sucked into the primary its a little extra security that nothing nasty is coming in.

53sparks said:
vodka? i like the sound of that! any one else do this?

Yes there are a bunch of people that do. That way you don't suck water with sanitizer in it into your brew.

thanks for the tip, i still havn't seen any activity since i put the water in the airlock 6 hrs or so, is it possible that the fermenting all happened in the first 20 hrs, i was thinking of taking a reading after 3 days if no change adding a another dry yeast pack on top? thanks Ron

Yes, I would guess that most of us use vodka. Sometimes I use sanitizer if I have a little bit handy after I close the lid and put the airlock on, but it's usually vodka.

53sparks said:
thanks for the tip, i still havn't seen any activity since i put the water in the airlock 6 hrs or so, is it possible that the fermenting all happened in the first 20 hrs, i was thinking of taking a reading after 3 days if no change adding a another dry yeast pack on top? thanks Ron

That sounds like a good plan! Keep it in the 68 degree neighborhood and recheck the sg if you don't see any obvious fermentation signs.

2nd week of deer camp is quite popular here in nortern minnesota, i dont think we are quite yoopers doe u know

lets not forget about 20 yoopers in a pontoon boat fishing for moby dick!!

I suspect everything is fine. I did my first batch in a pickle bucket (scratchless and very well sanitized!) I got from the restaurant where I worked. I did not have a lid so I used a clean towel.

Not that I would recommend doing it that way, but it turned out just fine.

Dr Vorlauf said:
+1 Vodka. Best airlock liquid

I used to use vodka in my airlock. I ran out at one point, used Star San solution instead and noticed that the Star San one never attracted fruit flies (which the vodka did). I've been Star San airlocking since and I'm quite happy. :)

Dr Vorlauf said:
+1 Vodka. Best airlock liquid
Vodka or any high proof alcohol works great because it is sanitary and if you get suck back there is no chance of infection. Vodka is usually used because it is the cheapest and has the least taste. Some people like Whiskey because you can see it from a distance.
I have forgotten the vodka once or twice, even without the liquid there is very little danger of infection.
Craig

I use Vodka as well. The real cheap stuff..I know water is fine as well. I think if you are looking to age for months vodka is the best choice..also if it slips in:ban: bumps up the ABV:drunk: not really enough to notice but hey..

. Star san is another good one..no flavor affects..just dont use bleach

To answer the main reason we posted..your beer will be fine..I think even if is was left that way for the whole time you would be fine, we have all done worse things and still had great beers. Infection usually comes from real bad habits or a hidden infection that was never cleaned..

Jay

star san works good because it actually good for the yeast if it gets sucked in to the fermenter. I have a spray bottle I use for spray sanitizing stuff and I just screw the top off and pour it into the air lock.

Linc

CBBaron said:
Vodka or any high proof alcohol works great because it is sanitary and if you get suck back there is no chance of infection. Vodka is usually used because it is the cheapest and has the least taste. Some people like Whiskey because you can see it from a distance.
I have forgotten the vodka once or twice, even without the liquid there is very little danger of infection.
Craig
It's true. I have an old bottle of funky scotch I use for this purpose alone. Of course, since my airlock blew on the last batch, I'm just using a blow off tube in a pitcher of sanitizer water.

ok, be a man and drink rum. That works too. But vodka is flavorless, that's why we use it. but gin is good, too. No peach snapps, though- we'd take away your brewer's card for that crap.

I use fine single-malt Scotch because I'm that rich and important

Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal...my apartment has many leatherbound books

Back