My IPA Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalk4

Reaction score
Alright, all grain photo time. This was a recipe for a 3.5 Gallon Cascadian Pale Ale.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 3.5
Original Gravity: 1.059
Final Gravity: 1.015
IBU: ~70
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 12 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 @ 66F

Boil Size: 4.5 Gallons
Boil Time: 60 min
Strike temp :166F
Mash Temperature: 150 F
Mash Time: 60 Minutes
Yeast Starter: none

**Efficency was calculated @ 70% ***

Heating up the strike water – 3 Gallons to 163F.

Adding the water and grains to the 5 gallon mash tun.

Hit my temp bang on, 150F. I like my pale ales nice and dry, so I mash low temps.

Keeping the mash tun insulated, stirring every 20 minutes.

Set up to collect wort.

Collecting first runnings.

My colander for vorlaufing.

Adding first runnings to the boil kettle, I collected ~2 gallons. (*edit* The veil only makes it LOOK like I'm going to marry my mush tun. But actually, its a small experiment on my part since I ran into a stuck sparge on my last all grain batch. I was hopping that lining my tun with a layer of voil would make a separation between the grain and permeable SS sleeve. Thus, an inexpensive and quick alternative to altering my tun geometry without having to some surgery.)

Heating up my sparge water, 2.5 gallons to 170F.

Adding the sparge water to the grain.

Recirculating and Vorlaufing.

Boiling space.

Boiling and hot break. The hot break was pretty crazy, if you can see through the steam the foam is all the way up to 1" of the handle rivets. I have a 9 gallon pot and was boiling 4.5 gallons of wort! That's a lot of foam!

Chilling with snow. Took about 20 mins.

Into the carboy. I wound up with 3 gallons because I didn’t account for how much boil off I would get from -5C degree weather. Should be fine though, a little stronger, but will still be good.

Cool man. We did a batch out side it was around 15F and we lost about 1 3/4 gal we over shot but not quite enough. But who complains about extra ABV

Back