All Grain setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennyhead

Reaction score
Hi all. I am in the process of creating an all grain setup. I have a double burner for heat. I already have a rubbermaid mash tun. I have 2 questions and welcome comments!

1. Do you think the stand in the pictures will withstand the 2 keggles amount of weight with primarily 5 gallon batches. I am somewhat nervous but it seems stable.

2. Will there be any ill effects of having my HLT and BK so close together? they are practically touching but both fit with about an inch off the side on each end. Thanks

Once again, any recommendations or comments are welcome! I appreciate it!

2012-09-12_14-16-32_226.jpg

2012-09-12_14-16-46_570.jpg

2012-09-12_14-16-57_566.jpg

2012-09-12_14-17-05_657.jpg

The stand does look kinda flimsy. If it is an old aquarium stand you might be OK. Fish tanks are heavy. As far as the kettles touching, shouldn't be a big deal. Your not going to have both of them going at the same time that often or at all.

Thanks Hammy! I just picked the burner stand up at a garage sale. It has folding legs so I doubt it was an aquarium stand but who knows...

Have you tried a test run with water in the keggles? Say maybe 10 in each and then give the thing a little shove. Better to spill water than beer.

to be honest I would not trust that stand... remember you are dealing many pounds of boiling liquid plus the weight of the kegs themselves. The stand just looks too flimsy for me. It may work fine but to me not worth the sever burn risk

Don't trust it. Even if it passes some initial load tests, one stubbed toe on the thing and you could have a dangerous mess on your hands.

ok so my next questions should be...limited budget..what are my options?

Have your self a garage sale and get rid of it, unless you have a welder or know someone with a welder who can help you adapt it and strengthen it it is dangerous it looks like a pimple "under" a pumpkin.

I thought that the stand might be a Camp Chef two burner stove. If it is, you might check out the BTU rating for the burners. If I recall correctly, I think that the burners are rated for 30,000 BTUs each, or 60,000 BTUs total. I would want something with a little more power. The burners that I am using are rated for 60,000 BTU (Camp Chef singer burner) and 72,000 BTUs (Blichmann Engineering floor burner).

Mark

not a camp chef, its actually a oldschool king cooker. not sure what the btu's are but the the manual says they are jet burners. anyway, i think i may have a buddy of mine just weld up some angle iron legs at all 4 corners. that will be the way to go it seems

I would suggest bending some large washers 90 degrees and welding them with bent side out and welded at the corners. Easy to lift over and no chance of being in wrong spot for a batch plus it can be bumped without any movement.

Got some angle iron taking place of those legs this weekend. Will post pics after and if you can let me know what you think again ill be in business...wondering next if im gonna need a pump or 2

New legs welded on..looks much better doesn't it? Happy I did that! Thanks guys.

ForumRunner_20120918_073014.jpg

Latest posts

Back