German lager with San Fran yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would really like to start getting into lagers but I just don't have the means to ferment them at the correct temp until I get myself a conical. So I was wondering if I could ferment a German style with a San Fran lager yeast, any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

It will be more of a "steam beer", but it will get you close enough. Keep it below 65, preferably below 60. Saflager S23 is another option as it can be fermented on the warmer side while still retaining some lager characteristics.

After you bottle or keg, it would be beneficial to lager in the fridge. That will get you a little closer. Will it taste like a true German lager? No. Will it be a good beer that tastes lagerish? Yes

Denny said:
I'd recommend WY1007 for pseudo lagers. To my tastes, it's much cleaner than either of the other 2.

Very true. I didn't even think of that.

On a related note, I'm in love with the duselldorf alt yeast. Super clean, leaves a great mouthfeel, and malty taste.

Close, but not exactly. The duselldorf alt only attenuates from 65-72%. I believe that 1007 is around the mid 70s. I did a split batch with both yeasts about 4 months ago. Everyone that tried them preferred the duselldorf.

What number is the Dusseldorf? Wyeast lists 1007 as usable for Dusseldorf alt and that's what I use it for. A Dusseldorf alt should be crisper than a Northern alt, and there should use a more attenuative yeast. And FWIW, the attenuation ratings listed for yeast are for comparing one to another and don't directly relate the the attenuation you get.

I believe it's WLP036. Give it a try and see what you think. It use to be a seasonal but they have it out all the time now.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy 1007 too, but IMO the 036 makes a killer beer.

I've tried it and don't really care for it. I prefer the results from 1007 by a long shot. But tastes vary....

That's interesting. I fermented them both at 60. What range do you use the 1007 at? It sounds like I need to give it another try

I try to keep it about 55 if I can. Otherwise 60-62. The 1007 makes beer that are cleaner and crisper IMO. My ideal alt is Zum Uerige which is very dry, so that's what I shoot for. I think 1007 is supposed to be the ZU yeast, but that's not why I use it. I use it becasue it produces the kind of beer I like.

I recently tried using WLP080 for a Dortmunder ale and it turned out very nice. Very clean, attenuates well, and flocs like a champ.

I used San Fran yeast to ferment an oktoberfest. Even though I did a D-rest it still seems to have a strong diacetyl taste. I'm going to age it for a few months and see what it does. Right now it's almost too butterscotch/cloying. It's hard to explain, but I'm not enjoying it. Hopefully age will help it!

Back