American Pale Ale Kona, Fire Rock Pale Ale (AG Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I have read a lot on the forums and appreciate all the knowledge and recipes that many have posted. Its amazing how long you can wait before the need arises to make a post. Biermuncher..I think your recipes are great and have made 2-3 of your extract recommendations so far.

I used the above recipe and I added the dry hops using a nylon grain bad immediately after cooling and adding yeast. Was this appropriate or should I have waited 7 days to add the hops like I have read? Basically i think i am asking a technique for adding the dry hops to this beer appropriately? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the recipe!

Dry hopping should be done well after the fermentation has subsided and the yeast has dropped. Fermenting beer will churn away a lot of the aroma and a beer laden with yeast (during fermentation) is not as clean and will not "absorb" the hop flavors/aroma as well. Still not too late. Just wait and add some more. :mug:

Here is a pic of my beer inspired by this recipe. Great stuff!!! :)

2011-03-24_18-00-06_882.jpg

I just brewed a 5 gallon batch of this last night and only after the mash did I realize that I used the wrong Munich. I accidentally ordered 1lb of DARK Munich, SRM 30. According to BeerSmith the difference in color is 2 SRM but I am more concerned about the flavor contribution from the Dark Munich. Either way it should be tasty, but I am brewing a batch with the right Munich malt next month - I need to compare...

I'm vacationing in the USA, and finally had a chance to try the commercial version. It's great! But my clone was nothing close. I used the Kolsch yeast, but used 2-row instead of Maris Otter. The commercial version is WAY more maltier. Have to try again.

I'm vacationing in the USA, and finally had a chance to try the commercial version. It's great! But my clone was nothing close. I used the Kolsch yeast, but used 2-row instead of Maris Otter. The commercial version is WAY more maltier. Have to try again.

Make sure to get that mash temp up to the mid 150's (154-156) and try shortening the rest time to 45 minutes.

Did a 20 minute rest @120, then went to move up to 154. However, 30 minutes into the mash period, I realized that I was only at 142. So, I raised it to 154, and held there for an hour. This actually increased my efficiency, and ended up at 1.059.

The wort tasted AWESOME!

24 hours later and we've got good fermentation activity, with a one inch thick krausen. The co2 coming from the airlock has a nice pine scent.

BM, thanks for the recipe. I brewed this 6 weeks ago, and this is the best beer I've ever made!

On brew day, I imbibed a little more than I should have and made all kinds of mistakes in the process. I missed the mashout temp by 6 degrees. Then I didn't realize the kettle drain valve was open when I was sparging and lost almost a gallon of precious wort :(

After several other screw-ups I was convinced that this beer was ruined, but when I tested it 2 weeks ago it was amazing. Thanks for the awesome recipe, I'm gonna go drink another glass.

BM, thanks for the recipe. I brewed this 6 weeks ago, and this is the best beer I've ever made!

On brew day, I imbibed a little more than I should have and made all kinds of mistakes in the process. I missed the mashout temp by 6 degrees. Then I didn't realize the kettle drain valve was open when I was sparging and lost almost a gallon of precious wort :(

After several other screw-ups I was convinced that this beer was ruined, but when I tested it 2 weeks ago it was amazing. Thanks for the awesome recipe, I'm gonna go drink another glass.

Thanks and well, I guess I'll take the fact that this is your first post as a compliment. :mug:

Just dropped the dry hops in, gravity was 1.024. I'd like to see it drop a little more, but considering my SG was .006 higher than BM's recipe, I'm not overly concerned by it. I'm considering getting an o2 setup, as I'm not sure if I'm getting enough aeration in my worts.

Kona makes a chocolate coconut porter....I had it a few weeks ago in Hawaii. Very interesting...like drinking candy...anywho, I racked a choco-coco stout about 10 minutes ago onto 14 oz of roasted (sweetened) coconut...the chocolate grain (1 lb) is coming through quite heavily.

A couple of weeks on the coconut should prove interesting. I really liked this brew. :D

:mug: :mug: :mug:

I've had this brew and it was outstanding, one of my most recent favorites.
----
Enter the rookie, with a rook dog question:

This seems logical but just to check, can I just divide everything in the extract recipe in half to make a 5 gallon batch?

Extract With Steeping Grains

11.5# Extra Light DME
2.5# Amber Liquid Extract
1.75# Caramel/Crystal #20 for steeping

1.00 oz Centennial [9.50%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (40 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (30 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min)
0.50 oz Mt Hood [3.70%] (5 min)

Thanks so much for the recipe. I have brewed this (well with some slight mods) 6 times now and loved it everytime. My neighbors are always asking if I have it on tap. Anyways im an extract brewer and can only boil 3 gallons. So here is what I came up with in BrewTarget for a 5 gallon batch. I hope its ok if I post this here!

3# Extra Light DME @ 60mins
3# Extra Light DME @ 5mins
1# Amber DME @ 5mins
14oz Caramel/Crystal #20 for steeping @ 20mins at 154 (Ive done 150-160 and never noticed a difference)

0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (40 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (30 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min)
0.50 oz Mt Hood [3.70%] (5 min)

Dry Hop with .5oz centennial

I played around with the hop additions trying to get close to OP's numbers. This came out at with a color of 6.5 and IBU of 36.1 in the software...Its been a few years since I have had the original, but I remember I loved it. This is a great beer and my favorite homebrew that I have ever made. I hope this helps someone out...the additions may have totally changed the profile of the beer, but since Im a noob I dont really know!

When comparing the picture of the actual beer in BierMunchers post mine is darker...maybe because of the extracts?? Maybe next time I make it I will send a bottle off to someone who has brewed the All Grain version of this and give me some tasting notes.

Anyways, Thanks BierMuncher for the recipe!! I love it!

Hey folks, my next batch will be my 10th (oooOOOooohh!) and my 3rd AG. I only have equipment 1) for 5-6 Gal batches, and 2) for BIAB. I think I'm doing a Loose Cannon clone and another Gumballhead clone before this one, but I'd like to buy everything now.

Two questions...
1) Can i just cut this recipe in half, and more specifically what is the proper process to scale a recipe in general? I use brewtarget right now, but I don't use it very well at all...in fact I suck at brewing software because I don't really know what I am trying to do or vary when I use it.

2) How would you change the recipe considering BIAB? Not at all?

Two questions...
1) Can i just cut this recipe in half, and more specifically what is the proper process to scale a recipe in general? I use brewtarget right now, but I don't use it very well at all...in fact I suck at brewing software because I don't really know what I am trying to do or vary when I use it.

Cutting a recipe in half is just fine. It's the easiest approach if you don't want to use software to scale it. Note your efficiency though. Efficiency on a 10-gallon batch is generally lower than on a 5 gallon batch.

Cutting a recipe in half is just fine. It's the easiest approach if you don't want to use software to scale it. Note your efficiency though. Efficiency on a 10-gallon batch is generally lower than on a 5 gallon batch.

I'm probably asking in the wrong thread here, but I have no clue how I am supposed ot go and measure my efficiency. ha

Brewing 5 gallons of this tomorrow as my first full AG brew with my new cooler mash run and 9 gal brew kettle. Can't wait for it to be ready to drink. Looking forward to this one for sure.

I just racked a little over 5.5 gallons of the all grain version of this recipe to my fermentor. It was my first all grain ever and a first on my new electric keggle with BIAB. Ive made the extract version of this with a few adjustments many times and its my favorite beer and I cant wait for this to be done!.

It has an awesome color (the extract version was darker as expected). I hit a 1.052 OG. I guess I messed up using the biabcalc and came out with way to much boil volume and had to boil for 2.5 hours. :) But I didnt start the hop additions until the last 60 minutes. The hydrometer sample tasted amazing!!!

Its funny that the first 3 recipes I will be doing on my new setup are Biermunchers...

This should get you close

4.5# Extra Light DME
2# Marris Otter
1.5# Munich
.75# Honey Malt

.50 Oz Centennial (60)
.25 Oz Cascade (40)
.25 Oz Cascade (30)
.25 Oz Cascade (20)
.25 Oz Cascade (10)t
.25 Oz Mt Hood or Hallertau (5)

Dry hop secondary with .5 Oz Centennial for 7 days.

Stupid question... but would a 5 gallon partial mash recipe only contain 1/2 oz of Centennial, 1/2 oz of Cascade and 1/8 of Mt. Hood? The AG recipe has twice the hops. Or is this PM recipe already scaled for 5 gallon instead of 11?

--------
Nevermind, if I looked at the total grain bill, it was pretty obvious. Anxious to try this for my first partial mash.

I'm pretty sure I blew it...

I brewed up the extract version posted without altering on Sat, only I did it for a 5 gallon batch. The posted version is for the same 11 gallon yield as the AG version?

I was thinking of cutting it with water and hoping for the best.
Any chance it will turn out OK without adding water?
I'm thinking the yeast will have problems...
My OG was 1.13:eek:

Any help would be appreciated!

I would take a wine whip and mix it up real good, and then split it in half and top each half off. Then I'd plan on some dry hopping to compensate for the IBUs lost due to the higher gravity boil.

I just kegged my first all grain batch of this recipe. the hydrometer sample has a plastic taste to it. I looked back thru my notes and I dont see where I added campden tablets. Oh well...it still tastes good, and its still gettin' drunk!

BierMuncher,

This one's been in the primary for about 2 weeks, and fermentation looks about done. I've got a question about how you dry hop and cold condition. Do you dry hop in the secondary at cooler temperatures? Or do you dry hop in the primary, and then cold condition? And what temp do you use for the cold conditioning.

brewinginCO said:
BierMuncher,

This one's been in the primary for about 2 weeks, and fermentation looks about done. I've got a question about how you dry hop and cold condition. Do you dry hop in the secondary at cooler temperatures? Or do you dry hop in the primary, and then cold condition?

You could dry hop in keg with whole leaf in a bag . Also I liked this without the dry hop.

I bottle, so I've got to either dry hop in the primary or secondary. My original plan was to dry hop in secondary, but then got concerned how cold temps will affect the dry hop results.

brewinginCO said:
I bottle, so I've got to either dry hop in the primary or secondary. My original plan was to dry hop in secondary, but then got concerned how cold temps will affect the dry hop results.

I dry hop in the primary but I hear that's a no no. It works for me. : )

I secondary at room temp. I also dry hop in the secondary. Just a preference that has worked very well for me. I find that dry hoping in the primary... Between the trub, huge yeast cake and the hop sludge... Is just a little too messy for me.

Sounds good, thanks for your reply. This came out great the first time I made it a year ago. I've made many upgrades to my brewery since then, so I'm looking forward to this batch.

Hey guys, bought the ingredients today! Same grain bill as BM but a substitution on the hops Cenntenial for Amarillo and a sub. on the yeast US-04 for Kolsch. I am making it this weekend (BIAB) and will give you all an update then. I added an extra pound of Marris Otters for better efficiency, still trying to fine tune my BIABing.

Back