First brew a success, now on to Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yalc

Reaction score
My first brew, a pale ale from AHS was spot on from start to finish. Call it beginners luck or anal retentive attention to detail and countless hours on this awesome site but I now feel the need to pay tribute to Bavaria and brew a Hefeweizen. I just received the AHS Bavarian Hefe kit and would like to solicit any advice from those who have experience with this style.

Thanks

I love a good hefeweizen. Did you get dry yeast or whitelabs/wyeast? If you got dry, I would strongly recommend picking up one of the live yeasts. In addition, depending on whether you like the banana flavors (higher temps) or clove flavors (lower temps) you will want to pay attention to the fermenting temps. Otherwise enjoy. You now have me looking into brewing one as well. Good luck.

I got the white labs yeast in the tube. In my research, i understand that lower temps give more clove and higher more banana. I will shoot for mid 60's for balance.

i have a hefe 6 days into fermentation now. if you keep it at 65 ambient, the ferm temp should be about 68, and it should be balanced. probably my favorite style

Thanks for the advice on the blowoff tube. Will definitely go with that. I have heard that secondary is not necessary with this style. True?

No secondary necessary, minimum 3 weeks in primary and yes you absolutely need a blow off on this one, just bottled up 6 gallons of Hefe today and at first taste it's gonna be a winner!

Back