crappy hot break?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathanquist

Reaction score
So I was trying to get a boil going and I had difficulties on my stove so I put the lid on my 5 gallon pot and let it go for a while. It had been sitting at 208 degrees with no lid. After 10 minutes with the lid on bam boil and hot break until I opened it and gone. Lid on and off again same thing 3 more times for an hour and I was drunk and said screw this and finished up. So my question is what happens if hot break is not complete?

How big is your pot?
9 lbs of DME in 4 gallons of water may give you 5 gallons of foam. I put in 6 lbs and have a fan blowing over the top and a ladle (20 qt pot with about 16 qts fluid)

You want to get that baby boiling. There are numerous threads about doing a "hard" vs. "soft" boil and the hop utilization as well as concentrating your wort. What you are doing is an "extract" Plus batch. That 1 lb of grains probably isnt going to make or break your beer.

With the DME your boil isn't really that important as far as fermentable sugars go. Someone was nice enough to already do that step. It is really about the hops (and killing the bacteria).

You should be fine

5 gallon pot and I thought the fermentable sugars were brought out during the mashing process. I think I'm about invest in a turkey fryer for a full boil.

Latest posts

Back