Is anyone planning an end of the world beer or brew day for 2012?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
I thought since we have a who's brewing this weekend and similar threads I would post up a thread that revolves around the "doom and gloom" of the winter solstice of 2012 aka "The end of the world/mayan calandar". We have all heard about it but is anyone actually planning any beer happenings around it?

Please feel free to post up any serious or just for fun ideas. Since we will only get 1 shot at this we may as well be ready for it! If I would have been thinking, I would have made a brew for the big "Rapture of 2011" but for whatever reason I did not...

I am planning to brew up a beer to age to be ready for "The end". It seems like an epic task but I am really leaning towards some sort of imperial brew that will be tasty on the solstice. I am leaning towards a whiskey barrel aged IIPA for the event but one that is based more on a wee heavy than a pale ale. I may not have time for a session beer...lol.

I would also like to have a brew day on that Friday. I am thinking possibly some sort of tribute to the Mayan culture? I really have not given it much thought yet. When I get my recipe worked out I will post back to this thread.

What are your thoughts plans?

Hmm a cool home brew comp AND a base for a recipe... Flaked corn, cocoa nibs and possibbly some sort of pepper... THANKS! :mug:

So the "end of the world" is actually my birthday next year. LOL. Therefore, I absolutely plan to put something awesome together for it.

I have two main plans for the event:
1) A beer that I will be brewing sometime in January/February that I will age until 12/21/12, probably either a Belgian Quad or an IIPA. I'm leaning towards the Quad as I don't know that I would have the patience to let an IIPA sit that long!
2) I'm brewing next year on my birthday, something that befits the day. As I'm thinking Armaggedon, I'll probably go for some sort of fiery red ale, maybe add some chili's to it in some way. Something bold that spits in the face of the impending DOOM!!!

I'm planning on brewing with propane that day. The peak solar flares are going to knock the electrical grid out. Anyone that has an electric system is gonna be SOL.

Don't know about the Mayans, but the Aztecs used to eat a lot of quinoa which I'd have thought you'd be able to incorporate pretty easily.

ChillWill said:
Don't know about the Mayans, but the Aztecs used to eat a lot of quinoa which I'd have thought you'd be able to incorporate pretty easily.

That's actually a really cool idea. It would have to be a pretty small percentage of the grain bill. Might make for a gummy mash.

+1 on chicha.

Why not try doing something you never even dreamed of doing? Since it will be your last chance and all...

Back