Grain Milling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakis

Reaction score
For all grain brewing is it imparitive to mill the malt? Even for 3-5 gallon batches?

YES. If you don't crush it somehow, you will get very poor extraction of the flavor components and have poor starch conversion as well. In general you want to crush it as much as possible but not so fine that you have to deal with stuck sparges

Sounds good, what type of milling equipment would I get? Are they expensive.

Sounds good, what type of milling equipment would I get? Are they expensive.

this whole hobby can get expensive but milling the grain is a bare minimum in order to brew all grain. if you brew extract beer the DME and the LME are expensive because somebody else had to do the milling.

If you're unsure of what to buy, you could also consider having the grains milled by whoever you're buying them from. Most places don't charge extra.

That way you can still get going on the all-grain, but have more time to research mills and figure out exactly what you want to get.

I picked up a corona mill from Buy.com a couple of years ago and it works fine. I usually get 80% mash efficiency, occasionally higher. I think it cost $32, and had free shipping.

A corona mill would be an inexpensive but workable option. A dedicated grain mill would almost be a must if you are planning to do all all-grain batches. Blender or rolling pin is going to be impossible for anything more than a couple ounces of grain. Also, your local home brew shop should have a mill that you can use, but they might insist you buy something there. If you're buying grain there already, I'm sure they're happy to mill it, but I don't know how close you are to a LHBS in Toronto.

A corona mill would be an inexpensive but workable option. A dedicated grain mill would almost be a must if you are planning to do all all-grain batches.

I've never used a Barley Crusher or similar mill and am sure they are far superior to Corona mills, but I do fine with the Corona mill. I do have it adapted such that I can use a drill, but I find the hand-crank fine and can crush a pound per minute; probably faster if I used a drill. It crushes the kernel nicely and leaves the husk relatively intact.

I've got an new old fashioned mill from Victoria. Most of it's cast iron so I'll have it forever. Thinking about switching to one of the ones you fit over a bucket, but I kinda like the OLD fashioned touch.

I am still new at all of this and am looking at doing all grain for the first time through the BIAB process. Does milling the grain myself right before the mash create more "freshness" than getting it milled at my local store a day or two before? Thanks!

Scottyh said:
I am still new at all of this and am looking at doing all grain for the first time through the BIAB process. Does milling the grain myself right before the mash create more "freshness" than getting it milled at my local store a day or two before? Thanks!

Freshly milled is nice, but can add to an already busy day. Crushing a few days in advance takes a couple steps out of the overall process and makes for a little less to clean up on brew day. Just store in zip-loc bags in a dry place.

Godd luck on your brew!

Back