My new iPhone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeast Infection

Reaction score
I bought the Apple iPhone yesterday and it is truely amazing! In fact I am posting from it right now, which is most likely a first here on HBT. You should all check this little gadget out

eh Ill stick with my blackberry. 600 for a phone is outrageous. I bet they are 50% cheaper in a few months.

Ryanh1801 said:
eh Ill stick with my blackberry. 600 for a phone is outrageous. I bet they are 50% cheaper in a few months.

Hmm.. knowing Apple and their monopolistic business practices, I doubt this... Look at how long the Ipods have been held at inflated prices :mad:

Ryanh1801 said:
600 for a phone is outrageous.

That would be true if it were just a phone. As we all know, or maybe you don't, it's a lot more than just a phone. I've been beta testing one for quite some time and this thing is nothing short of a revolution! Keep in mind, this is a first generation.

There will be a lot of improvements in the near future, as well as cost reductions. The price is not outrageous for a first generation, never before seen product. The way Apple structured the deal with AT&T is also nothing short of revolutionary! No other manufacturer allows you to activate your phone from the comfort of your own home.

johnsma22 said:
That would be true if it were just a phone. As we all know, or maybe you don't, it's a lot more than just a phone. I've been beta testing one for quite some time and this thing is nothing short of a revolution! Keep in mind, this is a first generation.

There will be a lot of improvements in the near future, as well as cost reductions. The price is not outrageous for a first generation, never before seen product. The way Apple structured the deal with AT&T is also nothing short of revolutionary! No other manufacturer allows you to activate your phone from the comfort of your own home.

I don't see it doing anymore than any other smart phone. So yes 600 bucks is way over priced.

I picked up a 4gb iPhone today and love it. I was going to get a blackberry but for $10 less per month (Saving $240 over the course of the contract) the iPhone price didn't bother me that much. It is a very fun device to use.

Until someone shows me where Apple has the patent for WiFi by phone and audio/video playback, I'll pass.

The iPhone will raise the bar, but I think a lot of manufacturers are just holding off on releaving their iPhone until they saw what Apple was doing. If you think for one moment that Bill Gates isn't looking at his iPhone killer, you're mistaken.

I'll bet he's not going to let Apple dominate the market for as long as the iPod did. Gates F'd up with the late Zune release. Just think when his new device kills the PSP and the iPhone together. And then everyone will be making similar phones.

Cheesefood said:
Until someone shows me where Apple has the patent for WiFi by phone and audio/video playback, I'll pass.

The iPhone will raise the bar, but I think a lot of manufacturers are just holding off on releaving their iPhone until they saw what Apple was doing. If you think for one moment that Bill Gates isn't looking at his iPhone killer, you're mistaken.

I'll bet he's not going to let Apple dominate the market for as long as the iPod did. Gates F'd up with the late Zune release. Just think when his new device kills the PSP and the iPhone together. And then everyone will be making similar phones.

I'm no fan of Apple, but if you're waiting for Microsoft being able to cobble together an iPhone killer, you might want to pack a lunch, maybe bring a couple books along for the wait. Mr. Softee doesn't have a clue how to succeed in this space; how long did it take them to respond to the iPod, and how much of a failure has the Zune been?

iPhone killer...???

samsungf700.jpg

:mug:

Cheesefood said:

There's probably 50 million already in circulation in China...:D

I am definately interested in the new iPhone. Like some of you stated before, it is the first release. Lot of hype and a lot of bugs. The price really does not bother me either. For me to purchase and iPod, smart phone, and have on the go internet.....it is not a bad deal at all. The only drawbacks that I see is that it is on At&T which does not have a strong/fast wireless data service and that the iPhone has a touch keypad. I am not sure how I will like that. For now, I am going to wait and see what the second generation has to offer and what the other companies come up with.

My cell phone does this REALLY cool thing.........It makes PHONE CALLS ;) They are nice, I just don't have any kind of need to justify the price tag. That is a LOT of brewing equipment.

Yeah. I don't think so.
Sorry.

I'm very, very rarely a first-adopter for stuff like this. And however cool it looks on the commercials, from what I'm hearing, it's got a ton of gaps and problems and limitations. I'm not really faulting apple here...the first gen of any technology (esp. w/ touchscreen) is going to be the "experiment", and they'll fix all the problems and limitations in subsequent builds. I'm just amazed at how many people waited in line to buy something that has had relatively few reviews or any real time in the real world public hand. I guess if you have the money to throw around...

Evan! said:
Yeah. I don't think so.
Sorry.

I'm very, very rarely a first-adopter for stuff like this. And however cool it looks on the commercials, from what I'm hearing, it's got a ton of gaps and problems and limitations. I'm not really faulting apple here...the first gen of any technology (esp. w/ touchscreen) is going to be the "experiment", and they'll fix all the problems and limitations in subsequent builds. I'm just amazed at how many people waited in line to buy something that has had relatively few reviews or any real time in the real world public hand. I guess if you have the money to throw around...

Is it even new technology? I've read very little about it, but I've yet to see anything but existing technology in a snazzy package (not unlike the iPod). Not that there's anythng wrong with that...making some of the tech more accessible and/or user-friendly is a great way to make a ton of money (again, see: iPod). But I'd expect it to be reasonably bug-free, and I certainly wouldn't expect to see it missing a bunch of stuff (from your link) that many other phones can already do.

And I'm not at all surprised that people waited in line...Apple is a marketing machine, and they played the hype on this one perfectly.

I'm not trying to come off as a an Apple fanboy, but that guy just seems like he had a vendetta against the iPhone from the beginning. I am sure there are people who will hate the iPhone but for me it was a great choice and so far I am thrilled with it. Of his 24 points I think only one of them concerned me.

Although it has a 2 megapixel camera, you CANNOT record video clips - I would have been perfectly fine if the phone didn't have a camera.

Although it’s being marketed as web device with the “real internet” with a “real browser” (Apple Safari), it DOES NOT SUPPORT FLASH, which is used on tons and tons of websites out there. - If it did have flash support it would really make the lack of 3G incredibly visible. For now I haven't gone to any sites that I couldn't load, so it hasn't been an issue.

Although you can watch up to 10,000 videos on YouTube, you CANNOT VIEW ANY AND ALL VIDEOS FROM YOUTUBE. - YouTube is in the process of converting its entire library to the H.264 codec so they will all be available.

Although you may be able to use Meebo or other sites as a work around for Instant Messaging, the iPhone DOES NOT SUPPORT INSTANT MESSAGING - There will most likely be a software update in the future that will provide an iChat like support. I've never had IM on a phone before so I can't really be mad at the feature missing yet, but I have used some web based IM clients for a bit and they work fine.

Although it is an iPod, and although you can use a bluetooth headset for calls, the iPhone DOES NOT SUPPORT STEREO MUSIC STREAMING THROUGH BLUETOOTH HEADSETS, even if you have have the Jawbone or any other bluetooth headset capable of doing that with a A2DP supported phone. - Nonissue for me as I love my regular headphones that fit fine in the iPhone jack.

You CANNOT LOAD YOUR OWN 3RD PARTY PROGRAMS onto the iPod. Classic Apple DNA, only proprietary, approved applications may be released by Apple (probably for a fee through iTunes!) - The apps on there work great, and there will be plenty of web apps that come out in the future.

You won’t be able to sit in line and pull out your iPhone to play games, because the iPhone DOES NOT HAVE ANY GAMES. Games from the iTunes store are not compatible. - Don't really care

Although you can fill it up with 8 GIGS worth of mp3 songs from iTunes, you CANNOT CUSTOMIZE YOUR RINGTONES WITH MP3 SONGS - This is said to be taken care of in the first software update

Although it has the “most advanced” interface using your fingers and the touch-screen, you CANNOT USE VOICE COMMANDS OR VOICE RECOGNITION OR VOICE DIALING. - Never used any of those on a phone before so it doesn't bother me

The keyboard supposedly isn’t a real bother after you get used to it, but TYPING PERIODS AND COMMAS ARE A PAIN IN THE NECK, requiring you to go to a 2nd screen each time. Given that you use a period or comma in almost every sentence you type, this is NOT CONVENIENT. - I was used to the virtual keyboard in no time. I don't find it to be an actual hassle to get to the period, but for the most part I separate my thoughts by new lines.

Even though it has a 2 Megapixel camera, you CANNOT SEND PICS TO OTHER CELL PHONES VIA MMS PICTURE MESSAGING. - Didn't care about a camera, don't care about MMS. You can send the pics via e-mail if you really care that much.

You CANNOT FREELY USE THE iPHONE ON OTHER CONTINENTS WITH SIM CARDS - you are restricted to AT&T international roaming networks only. - Doesn't affect me

You CANNOT DOWNLOAD OR ACCESS ITUNES DIRECTLY from the iPhone, you always have to do it through you PC or Mac’s iTunes program and then sync files. - I rarely go through a day without access to my laptop, so I'm not bothered by this. If I hear a song that I want, I will just type a memo to myself to get it.

You CANNOT USE IT AS A MODEM like you can with the Samsung Blackjack and my Sony Vaio laptop. - If the phone was 3G, this would be nice, but its not. There will almost certainly be workarounds to get it to work in the future, but I don't think it would be worth it.

The iPhone CANNOT GET REAL-TIME GPS MAPPING like you can on the Blackberry 8800 because it is NOT GPS enabled - Few phones can, and it would just add to the monthly fee. The GPS is enabled (like it is for all cellphones for emergency uses), just not for Google Maps.

You CANNOT GO ON VACATION OR ROAD TRIP WITHOUT YOUR CHARGER because it doesn’t have a removeable battery, so you cannot use multiple batteries as back-up or spare - How many people actually have second batteries for their phones? The charger is incredibly small, or you just need to plug the phone into your computer

You CANNOT LOAD MORE THAN 4GB or 8GB worth of video, music, audio, documents, contacts, email, etc because there is NO REMOVEABLE STORAGE CARD supported - I don't see why anybody would need more than 8gb worth of data on a cell phone.

The iPhone CANNOT SURF THE WEB AS FAST AS MOST COMPETITOR PHONES like the 3G Blackjack or Blackberry because it does not support 3G (i.e. The NYTimes Site took
almost 1 full minute to download). - Well for starters, no blackberry is 3g enabled so they surf at the exact same speed. This has been common knowledge for close to a month and it was done so out of consideration for the battery

You CANNOT CONNECT TO ALL iPOD DOCKS AND CONNECTORS currently out there - most will work, and a upgrade may be in the works, but for now, you may have to buy yet another accessory to connect the iPhone to speakers, car radio, etc. - This isn't a fullout iPod replacement for me so its not really an issue for me. I throw on some Brewing Network podcasts for my commute and a few tv episodes to catch up on.

About connections, not all earplugs/headsets will fit into the jack since it’s reported to be a extra deep connection. Some accessory manufacturers are going to sell $40 adaptors just to get their standard earphone jacks to work with the iPhone properly. Be ready to add $40 to your purchase price! - Mine fit fine, and the adapters are going to be about $10 bucks.

You CANNOT WALK OUT OF THE STORE WITH A WORKING iPHONE - you’ll have to go home and activate it through iTunes.com - How is this a negative? You need to charge phones up before use anyways/

Since the iPhone DOES NOT HAVE A REMOVEABLE BATTERY, and the expected life is 300-400 charges, you’ll HAVE TO SHIP IT TO APPLE TO REPLACE THE BATTERY EVERY YEAR OR TWO just like iPods. Who wants to be separated from their smart phone for a week every year or two AND have to pay for it! - Could become an issue but I will deal with it in the future. So far I have been incredibly impressed with the battery life. I have been playing with this thing nonstop for 24 hours and still have 3/4 of my battery life with WiFi and Bluetooth enabled.

Intelligent keyboard and all, but you CANNOT COPY/PASTE ANYTHING! That’s called a sin of omission. - I don't know what I would need to copy and paste on a phone so I don't mind

Oh yeah, you HAVE TO LITERALLY PAY AT LEAST $2196+ FOR THE iPHONE for your 2 year contract. That’s a lot for a cell phone, no? - Comparatively? Nope.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/26/how-does-the-iphone-stack-up-in-total-cost/

You can't get the BlackJack without the $40 data plan anymore which throws its numbers off. I was looking into a blackberry, but at $30 a month for a basic plan for it to be cheaper than the iPhone I would need to get a phone for under $260. Since I wasn't eligible for an upgrade and I wanted an 8800 it would be more expensive for me to go blackberry over the iPhone.

I'm not a big fan of phones with multiple features. I'm not even allowed to have a camera phone where I work at now, so my options are limited as it is. I spent 10 bucks for my last phone and it does a great job of making calls.

However it lacks the camera, latte dispenser, and anal bead deployer of some of those more spendy phones.

I truly think someday that a company will sell a phone with so many features that they will actually forget to include the phone part.

My Retirement account has a few hundred shares of AT&T, I encourage you all to buy an Iphone for your whole family and all your friends. :rockin:

The beauty of this problem is that the iPhone can be easily be updated (when apple releases an update for it) and then this will not be an issue;)

Hey all:

Mulls pointed out the reasons not to get the I Phone, here is one to buy one!!! I own stocks in T. Hahahahahah

Cheers.

John

Primary: empty
Secondary: #1 Autumn Amber Ale
On Deck: Octane IPA

P.S. Never trust anyone who's primary is empty!!!!

Corjyn said:
Hey all:

Mulls pointed out the reasons not to get the I Phone, here is one to buy one!!! I own stocks in T. Hahahahahah
Actually, that's only a reason for YOU to buy one. I hope you see a large return on the stock to pay for it. :p

Not having a 3g internet connection would be enough for me to pass on this release. and the price. Oh, and that won't be able to be upgraded via a rom upgrade. I'll stick with my Q for now but its a biz phone 1st, an MP3 player second.

Back