The World Cup Approacheth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why football (soccer) will never catch on in the US. Too much whining and antics.

I'm not sure about that. The style of play where you look to flop instead of go to goal as soon as you enter the penalty area is definitely irritating, but it's not keeping people away.

Soccer has a lot of other sports to compete with in terms of maintaining public interest and drawing promising young athletes and it is not very similar to any "traditional" US sport. A 90 minute game that may end 0-0 is not something the average American is used to or interested in watching. A lot of people would find Barca's most beautiful passing sequences boring unless they ended in a goal. That's slowly changing, though, because there is an ever-growing number of people who grew up with and play the game.

One of my clients sold two tickets yesterday to the opening game today for R140 ($20) each. I was too slow and missed them :(
They've been selling for R4000 each.

Is anybody watching the opening game right now (RSA vs MEX)? The host team is looking really good. I predict a 1:0 final

Also my guess for tomorrow's game, ENG vs USA - 1:2 (1:1)

EDIT: Not 10 minutes later, RSA scored the first goal of the tournament and it was a beauty!!

mexico lost the hell out of that game. the first half was theirs and they didnt put anything in the net. sa played well in the second half and that goal was sick but they didnt deserve to win either. shame about that last post, that was a good fake in stride. he got perez off the ground and had that corner open but it was still a tight fit.

Did anyone hear why the first Mex goal did not count? Was it a bad call or did I miss something? Looked clean to me but I am not the most futbol savy guy in the world.....yet.

I thought there was a defender standing near post on the goal line.

I was just trying to briefly explain the offside rule for Joker. I fail at teaching it to women too. :eek:

That much I do understand about the game although its another part I really don't understand since it can be exploited a bit by the defense. However, if I recall (been looking for a highlight) their was a defender near post on the goal line. Pretty tough to be offsides if that is the case.

That is why I was wondering if there was some other call. I will say for being cheated of the first goal and possibly of winning the game Mexico took it awfully well.

I think ESPN shuts down the stream between games.

That much I do understand about the game although its another part I really don't understand since it can be exploited a bit by the defense. However, if I recall (been looking for a highlight) their was a defender near post on the goal line. Pretty tough to be offsides if that is the case.

"Exploited by the defence".........Welcome to football, sorry soccer.
The defender on the line was in-active when the offence was commited, therefore, he does matter.
I hope this clears the matter up, and if anyone else wants the "off-side" rulings clarified, please do not hesitate to ask, as sometimes I have n`t got a clue myself.

The defender on the line was in-active when the offence was commited, therefore, he does matter.
I hope this clears the matter up,.

The jargon used to be "Interfering with play" But as Brian Clough famously said, "If's he's not interfering with play, then why is he on the f*cking pitch!?" ;)

"Exploited by the defence".........Welcome to football, sorry soccer.

I've only played highschool ball and was not aware of this. I'm looking forward to watching as much as I can and am sure I'll pick up a few more rule "glitches" like this I'm unaware of.

I've only played highschool ball and was not aware of this. I'm looking forward to watching as much as I can and am sure I'll pick up a few more rule "glitches" like this I'm unaware of.

Don't get too involved with the offside rule, they tinker with it every Wednesday afternoon after a liquid lunch. :drunk:

Go Uraguay! I was living in France when they won the World Cup in '98...........Man, that was truly painful. :(

Ever seen a happy Frog? Their faces go all contorted as they try to break a smile.

Shouldn't that have been a goal? The goalie just carried it across the line.

Faking an injury should be a yellow card offense as well.

It is. I'm not which rule though, could be "Ungentlemanly conduct"

Edit: the rules are not always strictly applied. The ref often uses his discretion in minor cases in order to keep the game moving. Sometimes he will also (Wrongly) try to make ammends for earlier mistakes by letting a foul slide. He could also just be a biased ahole. :)

Latest posts

Back