When does it stop being EdWort's Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What constitutes the label "Apflewein"?

• If it ain't the exact same as EdWort's it ain't Apfelwein!

• Using a different wine yeast, with similar results is still EW's Apfelwein.

• Using any yeast and other sweeteners/fermentables is close enough for me.

• Don't you have anything better to do than ask stupid questions about what people call their drinks?

Results are only viewable after voting.

DUCCCC

Reaction score
At what point does the deviation from EdWort's original recipe for Apfelwein create such a different product that it shouldn't be referred to as Apfelwein, and simply be called a cider, or an apple wine?

The only thing I did different from one batch of AW to another is use Lalvin D-47 instead of Montrechet.

Now for what I call cider, I'm using ale yeast, and Demerera sugar in the same proportions as AW, but it still seems to me it shouldn't be called AW.

ETA: Your votes are public.

i'd say as soon as you deviate from the recipe at all it is no longer edwort's apfelwein.

i've made the exact recipe as well as a few variations and i call it all cider. my friends think i'm snooty enough without trying to force them to pronounce some german word for cider ;)

I made mine with montrachet yeast but use 3 gallons of apple juice and 2 gallons white cranberry. It finishes just a bit sweeter and it brings out both the apple and cranberry flavors. I still credit Edwort with the basic recipe though.

It's like beer, if you sub some of the ingredients or edit them, it's no longer the same recipe. Edwort's apfelwein is exactly how he posts it, if you sub the yeast, it may be an apfelwein, but it's no longer Edwort's. If you cut the sugar and use an english ale yeast, it's probably cider. If you add different juices, then it may no longer be an apfelwein or apple cider at all, but something totally different. I wonder how many gallons in the "how many gallons of edwort's" is actually to the original recipe, I'm guessing about half to 2/3, as you see loads of "I used grape juice and apple juice, and put champagne yeast in, +5 gallons for me!"

In the context of the style guidelines, not even Ed is making a Official German Hard Cider.

Lest he be shipping dem apples from Frankfurt.

That is, California apples don't make it German (more like Mexican).

;)

In the context of the style guidelines, not even Ed is making a Official German Hard Cider.

Lest he be shipping dem apples from Frankfurt.

That is, California apples don't make it German (more like Mexican).

;)

Most apple juice from concentrate actually comes from china (I think it's like 70% of the market) if you buy the "not from concentrate" stuff, it's usually from northern Oregon and Washington. YMMV.

Prisonhoochfelwein is prisonhoochfelwein. Mess with the yeast, add a bit more sugar, whateva. Still prisonhoochfelwein. Why everyone gotta be so worried about it? Add some dextrose to apple juice, shake it up, add yeast, bam. You wanna see some hardcore delving into cider, check out my neighbor's thread...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/

Not to knock Ed or anything, because I do like me some prisonhoochfelwein sometimes when I wanna good buzz, but there's nothing magical about it.

It's all cider.

Prisonhoochfelwein is prisonhoochfelwein. Mess with the yeast, add a bit more sugar, whateva. Still prisonhoochfelwein. Why everyone gotta be so worried about it? Add some dextrose to apple juice, shake it up, add yeast, bam. You wanna see some hardcore delving into cider, check out my neighbor's thread...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/

Not to knock Ed or anything, because I do like me some prisonhoochfelwein sometimes when I wanna good buzz, but there's nothing magical about it.

Copying my bloody posts again? what's the deal!? :)

Apfelwein is a style of beverage. If you make Ed's recipe, then you have made Edwort's Apfelwein. If not, then you have made something else, it could still be apfelwein, just not Ed's.

Prisonhoochfelwein makes me laugh every time.

Edwort's Apfelwein is his recipe, you follow the recipe you make Edwort's Apfelwein. I have made a number of variations but I call them "cider - Dickens" or something along those lines. I only use Edworts name with his recipe, and when I'm cursing him the next morning. Then praising him that next night. :)

Edwort's Apfelwein is his recipe, you follow the recipe you make Edwort's Apfelwein. I have made a number of variations but I call them "cider - Dickens" or something along those lines. I only use Edworts name with his recipe, and when I'm cursing him the next morning. Then praising him that next night.

Oh, if you like that one, I've got an awesome recipe that involves welch's grape juice, a slice of bread, and a prison toilet.

:ban::ban::ban::ban:

I think the wording of the first poll option
"If it ain't the exact same as EdWort's it ain't Apfelwein!"
May be the part that has confused people over the issue.

I think the wording of the first poll option
"If it ain't the exact same as EdWort's it ain't Apfelwein!"
May be the part that has confused people over the issue.

Well it's not like I have a degree in English or technical writing...

Maybe I should have said, "Ed's way or the highway!"?:)

I guess the whole reason I posed the query in the first place was because I'm wondering why there's so much cider being made by people that's being called AW, when clearly it's not the same product. Every time someone goes on the AW thread and asks to make it sweet instead of dry, why bother telling them about backsweetening? Why not point them to a sweet cider thread instead?

I don't think it would have be given the same tolerance if someone started asking about how much Cascades and Nugget, along with the amount of black patent, to add to their Ordinary Bitter.

Maybe it seems to me that it would be like someone making soup with beef stock and rice, then telling me it's Chicken Noodle soup.

I know in the end it doesn't really matter, but being picky about our end product here does differentiate us on HBT from simple hooch makers, and Ed did make the original recipe to adhere to a specific style of wine in Germany, so there is a guideline.

Of course I'm probably simply making an a$$ of myself bitching about it.

Back