Getting Started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxPower49

Reaction score
I've always wanted to try hombrewing and now I've decided to take the plunge. I know almost nothing about brewing beer, however I am very skilled at drinking it. :mug:

This is the kit I was planning to get.
LINK

And this is what I was planning to make for my first batch:
LINK

Thoughts? Opinions? Is there anything else I will need (besides a big pot and a bunch of bottles)? Does that ingredient kit look ok? I love newcastle, so it sounded good to me.

This looks like a cool forum... I'm sure I will be learning a lot here. I'm excited about getting started... too bad my wife is making me wait until Christmas. :(

That should get you going. I might suggest you try the different vendors web sites directly. Somewhere there is a link in a sticky to all of these, but the popular ones are Austin Homebrew, MooreBeer, and Midwest Supplies.

Since you are in NC, I might add a favorite of mine: listermann.com, who has free shipping for orders over $55.

I would get everything in one hit from one vendor, but that's just how I roll.

You need a big pot. A turkey fryer is pretty handy at this.
As for bottles, make sure they don't have screw off's. My suggestion is to try some of the craft beers out there and save those bottles up, that way you get to try different beers.

The kit looks good. Midwest is a great supplier - I didn't realize they also sell via EBay. The only other essential item I would add is a dial thermometer with a fairly long probe so that you can monitor your wort temperatures for steeping and yeast pitching. You want to make sure the scale goes below 70 degrees (I have seen some that stop at 100 degrees).

Regarding the ingredient kit make sure they include a grain bag for steeping.

Midwest has the best price around!!! I just ordered the same kit... You will not find it cheaper anywhere!!

I believe there's at least one well stocked local home brew supply (LHBS) store in Charlotte. Probably more. You might do well to check them out first, just to see what they have, and possibly save on shipping. You'd also be more apt to get help if you buy some stuff locally.

That said, Midwest Supplies, who is the seller you're looking at on eBay, has a pretty good reputation. Also take a look at Austin HomeBrew and Northern Brewer if you're sure you're going to order online.

I started with a Brewers Best Basic Kit from my LHBS here in Wilmington, and I'm still using that equipment a year+ later. Even after going all grain I still use that Ale Pail and bottling bucket. I was happy with the Brewer's Best ingredient kits as well, which are available at many local shops too.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have a couple more questions.

1) Is doing a half recipe as easy as just dividing all of my ingredients in half and making 2.5 gallons instead of 5 gallons? I was thinking of doing smaller batches while I am experimenting and learning.

2) If I want to have multiple batches going at once, what will I need? Just an extra carboy? Do they make smaller carboys for half batches?

Thanks!

I know for certain that 3 gallon carboys exist as I have a few of them. Not sure on 2.5's but I'm guessing probably not. Check online and at your LHBS.

I picked up a couple 3 gallon bottles of water from Lowes a few months back for like $5 each. Got the spring water + carboys. They've worked great so far. In other words...it is not necessary to buy 3 gal carboy from a LHBS when you can get both water and the carboy for a good deal.

You'd want at least 3 gallon carboy for a 2.5 gallon brew. You need some headroom for kraeusen during fermentation. However, there is no problem with using a larger bucket or carboy for primary. Just get another primary bucket and another carboy for secondary.

I'd suggest getting another 5 gallon glass or better bottle carboy for secondary rather than a 3 gallon. You'll be glad you did when you want to start making multiple 5 gallon batches at a time.

So it is fine to take the ingredients kit I buy and just divide everything in half? How long will the half I don't use remain good?

Thanks!

Back