Spent Grain Bread Machine Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
BTBC Spent Grain Honey Wheat Bread

ala Bread Machine

Picture_0151.jpg

Recipe for a large loaf:

1 1/8 cups water
2 1/2 cups white bread flour
1/2 cups wheat bread flour
1 1/2 Tbsp. dry milk
1 1/2 Tbsp. honey
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. fast rise yeast OR 3 tsp. active dry yeast
1 cup (or more, depends on you!) spent grains

Add all ingredients in the order above ( if your grains are particularly wet, you may need to add more wheat/white flour)

My bread machine has a large dark loaf setting, use something similar.

Turned out really nice, grains were delicious!
Enjoy with a beer (this bread was made from my red river ale recipe) or beverage of your choice!

Picture_0162.jpg

Thanks for the recipe.

Looks like I'll have to borrow my parents bread machine to try this over the weekend.

Looks/sounds very tasty! Bread & beer, the base upon which all civilization is built. Thanks for the recipe. Regards, GF.

Your bread looks really tasty, thanks for the recipe! I am making a stout this weekend, maybe I will replace the honey with a little molasses and the wheat with rye flour and see what I get. :mug:

looks great. Why the dry milk? Im no pro at making bread yet but all ive added was honey to mine. I have been contemplating using some pale ale(a few bottles didint carb) along with some water instead of all H20. Think it would work out?

I dunno, im sure it would be fine, just make sure that the beer is left out and uncarbonated.

The dry milk was in the recipe i based this off of.. beats me.

i was bored so i brewed Biermunchers belgian wit and used the grain and some of the pale ale to make the treberbrot. Turned out pretty well although i like it better with just plain water. Next time millk it is

I gave this a try today, while boiling my ESB. I just used my normal wheat bread recipe, but replaced a cup of flour with 1.5 cups of spent grain. Damn, this stuff is great! I was afraid the fiber content would be over the top, but it's not at all. This is going to become a regular part of my brew-day routine. The machine makes it so easy, it would be foolish not to!

Hey, nice loaf. I brewed a batch of ESB this weekend too, and I saved some of the grains. Hopefully, it will be fine in the fridge until I stop at Publix tomorrow.

My favorite ESB is by Redhook, hands down. What's yours?

Hey, nice loaf. I brewed a batch of ESB this weekend too, and I saved some of the grains. Hopefully, it will be fine in the fridge until I stop at Publix tomorrow.

My favorite ESB is by Redhook, hands down. What's yours?

I was wondering the same, about keeping the spent grain around to bake with. Next brewday, I may try freezing a few cups. Or I've got two bread machines, maybe I'll just run them both and freeze one loaf.

I'm a big fan of Fuller's ESB, my "Cold Shot" recipe started life as an extract Redhook clone, but little by little I've steered it towards a more British style. I brewed it Sunday, but switched it up a little by adding some honey malt and CaraPils, and replacing the final aroma hop with EKG.

I usually freeze a couple of cups of spent grain to have on hand when I put together some bread, though I don't use a machine. I then take the container and nuke it for a minute and scrap semi defrosted grain into the mix and 3-4 hours later I have some bread delightfulness.

I'm a big fan of Fuller's ESB, my "Cold Shot" recipe started life as an extract Redhook clone, but little by little I've steered it towards a more British style. I brewed it Sunday, but switched it up a little by adding some honey malt and CaraPils, and replacing the final aroma hop with EKG.

I haven't tried the Fuller's yet, a few may come home with me on my next trip to Total Wine. I didn't use Morris Otter in this batch, but I did pitch S-04, the English stuff. A few people said this will give it some fruity notes. I would like to do another batch with the American strain and compare.

Are you just experimenting with the Honey/Car-Pills? Would this lend more body, maltiness ? I'm still new to AG and would love to know what this would do.

Cara-Pils adds body and increases head retention, I've used it a lot with good results. It was an afterthought, as I had 1/4lb in my cupboard. The honey malt was more experimental, it should contribute a touch of malty sweetness.

I like to walk through my LHBS and smell/taste the various grains...you can really get a good idea of what they will taste like in your brew.

I had only saved about 5 cups worth, and put it in the fridge for a week wet.. they were fine for that long.. next batch i will freeze most of it. I will be sure to save a lot more than last time..

The last time I picked up an extract kit at the LHBS, they opened a few bins and let me taste some of the barley. It was pretty cool.

I'm making a batch of bread tonight (first time with a machine). The grains still have the same consistency as Sunday, but I'll freeze what's left after another batch.

How long do you guys think the grain will stay good for in the fridge? I brewed Friday night and put aside 1 1/2 cups of grain to hopefully make this bread tonight...still ok?

NEVERMIND - I apparently can't read

A couple weeks ago I made a Porter Wheat. I realized that I should have used some of the runnings for the moisture so today I made an IPA Honey Wheat with 1cup (this just seems the right amount) of spent grain and 11oz runings added to a base recipe similar to the OP.
I stopped baking in my bread machine a couple months after I bought it because I hated the way it came out especially since it would always overproof wheat bread and it would fall.
I have since lost the paddle to the machine so I make it all by hand. It takes far less time than it did when I kneaded and proofed in the machine.

Gonna try this today, what about the dregs of a bottle of hefe instead of dry bread yeast? I don't want to mess it up but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Any yeast would work I suppose but my hefes tend to have a lot more yeast in the bottom.

Gonna try this today, what about the dregs of a bottle of hefe instead of dry bread yeast? I don't want to mess it up but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Any yeast would work I suppose but my hefes tend to have a lot more yeast in the bottom.

bread and beer yeast are quite a bit different - I don't think the dregs of a bottle would have the effect you need for proper raising of a loaf.

Hey guys, I have since changed the recipe I use for making spent grain bread in the bread machine.. so I made a quick vid. Thanks!

Spent Grain Bread
Large 1.5lb Loaf
7.5 ounces of hot water
3 Tbl Honey
2 cups bread flour
1 cup spent grain
1.5 Tbl dry milk
1.25 tsp salt
1.5 Tbl butter or margairn
2 tsp active dry yeast or 1.5 tsp fast rise

Spent Grain Bread
Regular 1lb Loaf
5.5 ounces of hot water
2 Tbl Honey
1.5 cups bread flour
2/3 cup spent grain
1 Tbl dry milk
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tbl butter or margairn
1.5 tsp active dry yeast or 1 tsp fast rise

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll add a recipe. I used the spent grain from my rather-dark stout.

1 cup of water
2 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp of salt
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 cup of spent grain
3 cups of bread flour
2 tsp of regular bread yeast.

2 lbs load setting, medium crust, french-bread style.

This turned out very good, the bread got a LOT of color from the dark stout grains.

My next experiment, I'm going to use beer instead of water while still keeping the bread yeast.

M_C

1 cup of water
2 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp of salt
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 cup of spent grain
3 cups of bread flour

This turned out very good, the bread got a LOT of color from the dark stout grains.

My next experiment, I'm going to use beer instead of water while still keeping the bread yeast.

M_C

Wow this was great. I used the spent grains from my Pale Ale and 1C of Summit Winter Ale and subbed 1C whole wheat flour for 1C of the breadflout. SWMBO had no idea what was in the bread and loved it. SWMBO absolutely hates the smells of homebrewing, but loved the bread until she learned what was in it. The whole loaf was eaten with friends tonight. Need to make more this week.

Currently making the OP's original recipe.... I skipped the dry milk, and only used baking flour so we'll see how it tastes.

I'll have to try the other two recipes as well! I have been making dog treats with my spent grain for a while, and just never got around to making bread with it yet until tonight. Found a brand new bread maker for $20 today, and I have a ton of spent grain in the freezer so it was time.

Thanks again!

I made this today and was absolutely delicious! It was a big hit with dinner thanks for posting this.

thanks for the suggestion, aekdbbop. i make bread often, and beer even more often, and never thought of using the grain for whole-grain bread :D

OK, question:

BTBC Spent Grain Honey Wheat Bread

ala Bread Machine

Recipe for a large loaf:

1 1/8 cups water
2 1/2 cups white bread flour
1/2 cups wheat bread flour
^^^^^^^^^
Can you give an example of what you mean by "Wheat Bread Flour?" Do you mean whole wheat flour, or do you mean something else? SWMBO is going nuts looking for "whole wheat bread flour", which due to gluten contents, i think may be a contradiction in terms... :drunk:

Thanks...

-- Leftcontact

They actually make a bread flour that is whole wheat. generally, 'bread flour' usually means white flour which has a protein content strong enough to raise yeasted bread. It also has higher gluten levels. You can use regular flour, but you might end up with a harder loaf - try compensating by adding more honey or other hydration.

Gotta remember this thread next time I brew! I've been wanting to make some spent grain bread and dog treats and having the ease of a bread machine will make this happen on brew day.

I'll just mix it all up during the boil!

I plan on adding some beer instead of water though. Maybe something malty. I have a Belgian Golden Strong that is pretty sweet. Also some barleywine.

1 cup of water
2 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp of salt
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 cup of spent grain
3 cups of bread flour

M_C

Tried this recipe today with a mix of grains from my cream ale; turned out great!

8dfa132e.jpg

dcb570cb.jpg

I dried the grains out in the oven this morning for about an hour at 200dg. They were still moist, but didn't have as much water as they did when I scooped them out of the mashtun.

Made this recipe with a cup of crystal from yesterdays brew session, and it tastes great. The dough rose too much and was pressing against the lid of the machine, so one end is caved in. I guess the grain was still a little too wet. Might try adding a little more flour next time.

Thanks for the great recipe!

Back