Any HBT Bicyclists?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I was just wondering how many bicyclists we have here?

What kind of riding do you do?
Where do you ride?
Why do you ride?
What do you ride?

Just tell us a little about your Bicycling.

I'll start.

I ride 5-6 days a week to and from work. I commute 14 miles a day through the streets of Las Vegas. I try to get in a longer ride on the weekend, but sometimes life just gets in the way.
  • I ride to be healthy. I have lost 25lbs since I got on the bike.
  • I ride to save money. Granted, my car is rated for 39mpg, but every bit helps.
  • I ride out of convenience. The parking situation at work sucks. At any shift change there are hundreds of cars all trying to make their way in and out of 1 parking garage on the back alley roads of Las Vegas Blvd. It's a farging mess. I can sit in my car for 45 minutes and not even make it out of the garage, or I could ride my bike and be home in under 45 minutes.
  • I also love the bragging rights. Guys look at me like I'm crazy when I'm carrying my helmet into work on a 120* summer day. "Yeah, I ride 7 miles each way in the summer. What do you do?"
  • I ride to do something different in my daily life.
I don't really ride to "be green" as some would think. We still use the car for errands and such. But I guess it is one less car on the road.

I have a few bikes:
My daily commuter is a 2001 Trek 7500FX. I really like it. I've got a rack on the back, head/tail lights, computer, etc. I just put on some new tires and some fenders.
I also just got a 1984 Puegeot P6 for 25$ on craigslist. the bike is in excellent condition. Just a little dirty, and a rusted chain. I've got it stripped to the frame right now. I'm getting it repainted and I like it so much that I might make it my good weather commuter, and use the Trek for foul weather days.
I also have 3 vintage Scwhinns. These are when Schwinns were still made in america. Now they are made poorly by Pacific Cycle and sold at Wal-Mart where they are slapped together by a minimun wage shelf stocker who doesn't know jack about bikes.
Anyways, I've got a 1964 ladies Racer (in pieces, rebuilding it for SWMBO...she wants hot pink), a 1970 ladies Traveller (basically the top end sister bike to the Racer), and a 1974 mens Suburban.
I've been on the lookout for a mountain bike. From what I've been told there are some good mountain trails out here.

Depending on the interest level, I may see about getting an HBT bike jersey going. What would you guys think?

I ride because I love riding and I love my bikes.
I use it for transportation when convenient but really the reason I ride, even when I have someplace to be is because I love riding. When im in a car I feel trapped, boxed in by the car and traffic around me, riding is the most freedom I feel during the day.
I ride all over lower westchester and NYC, both on and off road.

This is my road bike, my brother made the frame and fork. I love riding this thing
p1000274hk1.jpg

I also have an old canondale V900 MTB but Im building a new one, I'll post some pics when its done in a week or so.

This is my Trek:
hair2_018.jpg

I have since added black Planet Bike fenders and some new tires. Next is to rebuild my drive train.

This is SWMBO's Schwinn Racer when I got it:
DSCF2265.jpg

Bike is actually pretty sound. Just has some surface rust and a banged up rear fender. Now I have it stripped down. Just a little more sanding then ready for paint.

1970 Schwinn Traveller and 1974 Schwinn Suburban:
DSCF2508.jpg

Both of these bikes are in pretty good shape as well. I haven't really touched them yet. They both have generators for the headlights. Al original parts, except they are both missing the leather saddle bag that they originally came with.

Have a specialized hardrock sport (lower end but ok for what i do) from 2007, a mid nineties hand me down giant iguana that the swmbo rides (although it is just slightly too big for her frame wise, she has a smaller raleigh evo on lay a way at the local mennonite owned bike shop (no s***, they have very odd accents and its weird to see a whole cluster of amish teens on bikes riding the back roads, but it happens)

Ride for fun, but havent been lately as life has been gettin in the way--used to ride 100 miles a week or more, im lucky to get in 4 now.....

I think next spring i will be making a serious effort to ride more, i enjoy it, swmbo loves it, and its great exercise....

What kind of riding do you do? Mountain and some road.

Where do you ride? Mostly Mid Atlantic, but have ridden Tucson, Sedona, Moab, Park City, Asheville

Why do you ride? Sanity

What do you ride? I have several bikes. My main bike is an Astrix Monk. Its a full suspension 29er. My other common ride is a Surly Crosscheck set up for road (105 group). There are a lot of gravel roads around here, so I run 26 or 28mm tires. I also have a Quintana Roo hardtail mountain bike set up as a singlespeed. My 4th bike is a vintage 70's Batavus with chrome tip fork :). It is set up fixed for tooling around town.

I decided to do a bikeathon last year for work. I had these grand ideas of training and working up to the the 70 mile trip slowly. Well, as TM put it, life got n the way. I did one training ride on my $30 ebay special road bike, then geared up for the ride. Not the smartest way to get into something, but I made it and feel like it really did have an impact on my life. I plan to do it again this year, but I hope to actually train this time.

So, I ride in the philly area (city to the shore)
I ride a hunk of crap I scored off ebay.
And I ride because I wanted to participate in a good cause.

Mostly mountain and commuting
Where do you ride?
Galbraith in Bellingham Washington and North Shore Vancouver B.C.
Why do you ride?
Burn off the beer belly I would have otherwise
What do you ride?
Mountain- Transition Preston
Commuter-Gary Fisher Tassahara converted to street riding
It keeps me sane until I broke my collarbone 2 weeks ago and won't be able to ride until the new year.

Glad to hear about another bike commuter on the forum...

One more here...

I'm mostly a commuter. My ride is through metro Detroit, which is urban and extremely bike unfriendly. My ride is a combination of sidewalks, ditches, makeshift paths, etc. I work midnight shift, so my ride to work is in the dark. On my ride home in the morning, I stay mostly on the road. I'm just not comfortable staying on the road at night, no matter how well lit up I am. I bike commute 12 months a year.

Where do you ride?
To and from work, 8 miles each way.

Why do you ride?
Stay healthy, fun, better for the environment, stress reliever. Plus, like the OP said, the strange looks from co-workers are fun ("You rode your bike in today? Isn't like 10 degrees out and snowing?"). The looks are kind of similar to the looks I get when people realize how insane I am about brewing beer ("You have HOW much beer in your basement?").

What do you ride?
A 12 year old or so Trek 7000 that I bought used in college. I plan on upgrading in the spring and using the Trek as my beater bike for the winter's salty/snowy conditions.

I've been hit by two cars. Just a little though. BTW, REI has quite a few beer related bike jerseys...

Bike Jerseys at REI.com

(Obviously, these are all their men's jerseys, but there aren't too many to scroll through that aren't beer related. Speaking of REI, REI + homebrewing = all of my disposable income... ha ha).

(Obviously, these are all their men's jerseys, but there aren't too many to scroll through that aren't beer related. Speaking of REI, REI + homebrewing = all of my disposable income... ha ha).

Ditto. With me it's Austin Homebrew Supply and Bike Nashbar.:D

mountain:
Surly Karate Monkey
GT Avalanche

road:
Bianci Alfani (older model)

beach cruisers:
6+ in various states of repair

Where do you ride?
Why do you ride?
What do you ride?

- Mostly road training for Triathlons.
-Local roads, and lake
- Its very relaxing to me, also keeps me competitive.
-Masi > Saving up right now for a Tri bike though.

Where do you ride?
Why do you ride?
What do you ride?

I commute every day to work, 8 miles each way.
I also use my bike alot for errands.
Occasionally I get a chance to do some recreational rides. I ride the 35 miles to visit my parents, or ride in local organized centuries, and have done some moderate off-roading.

My commute is 8 miles each way through Cleveland city streets. Most of the neighborhoods are pretty rough but it usually is not a problem, I just need to be home before dark on Halloween. I ride year round in Cleveland weather. I get some crazy looks when I come in with my helmet in 10F weather or I am shaking of the snow.

I ride primarily because I enjoy it. Second reason is to get some exercise. I also like that I save gas and wear on my vehicle. I'd like to get rid of our second car but my wife insists we have to have it.

I have a number of different bikes I use for different occasions.
My primary commuter is a Surly Crosscheck. I have it configured as a fixed gear with fender, lights and a rack. I like the Brooks saddle and the WTB MTB drops on the bike. In the winter I put studded tires on this bike.
I also commute in good weather on a track bike with front break. This bike is lighter and handles quicker than the Surly but with 28mm kevlar belted tires it can handle the rough debris strewn roads I ride.
For longer rides on better roads I get out the recumbent. I currently have a Bacchetta Strada which is a fast high bottom bracket recumbent with a very laid back seat. Previously I had a lowracer Optima Baron which is where I got my user name.
My off road bike and bike for sever winter weather is a Surley Pugsley. This is a bike built around 4" wide tires. The air pressure in the tires can be lowered to about 8 psi and the bike will go through an amazing amount of snow, ruts and all.

So thats a little about my cycling.

Craig

I've been eyeballing the Surly Long Haul Trucker for a while now.

That is pretty similar to the crosscheck, a little more relaxed geometry, but a very versatile bike. I know a few people who ride them more miles per year than i drive my car. It should last forever.

Lots of Surly riders out there... Awesome! I love my Crosscheck.

I used to ride a Karate Monkey, but after back surgery, I bought a squishy bike.

Mostly commuting. It's either a 6 or 8 mile one way trip to the office depending on what route I take. So 12 - 16miles round trip. And I'll add in a 40 - 50 mile ride on the weekends just to make it interesting.

Where do you ride?
Streets of Portland, OR. The longer rides are road trips anywhere in the state.

Why do you ride?
Cause I love the beer jerseys! Well, yeah, but beyond that it's for health/fitness, to save some cash, limit my impact on the planet and to prove to myself that I can.

What do you ride?
Cannondale Synapse

My collection of beer jerseys seems to always be growing. I have a Dogfish, Deshutes, Kona, Avery Beast, Boulder Brewing, and Bristol Brewing jerseys at this point.

Avery Brewing 303.440.4324

As promised here's a couple of pics of the MTB my brother and I Just finished building.
Its a custom, hand made, fillet brazed, CroMo frame and fork. 29er in the front and 26 in the back. Its single speed right now but easily switched to derailleurs.

p1000283fj5.jpg

p1000287dv0.jpg

I used to be really big into riding. Had a Diamond Back mountain bike and a Cannondale road bike - can't remember the models of either, but they were pretty high end. I would ride at least 20 miles every other day.

Then came my wrecks.

The first wreck came when I was out screwing around one evening with a friend who had just gotten a mountain bike. I wasn't wearing any protection, just shorts and a tshirt. We were going pretty fast down a hill on pavement when he hooked his handlebars on mine throwing me to the ground. I basically skid to a stop on my head. At some point during the skid I realized that the spot on my head that was in contact with the pavement hurt really bad and rolled my head - thats when I nearly ripped my ear off. It wasn't pretty.

A few months later after I had healed, I decided to get back in the saddle. It was probably only the second time out I had THE wreck. I was on my road bike going 18~20 mph when a car passes me, gets back in my lane, and immediately brakes hard. He was trying to turn but another car was blocking him from turning. I hit him full force from behind - went straight through his rear windshield with my right arm and shoulder. My right leg looked like hamburger from hitting his bumper so hard. And to top it all off, I was charged as a vehicle and had to pay his deductible for fixing his car. Ugh.

None of that really has turned me against riding - I'd love to get back into it - but now that I have motorcycles, it just seems so slow... heh

Commuter:
'91 Specialized Stumpjumper. Put street tires on it. Commute to work 2-3 days a week. 10 mile round trip.

Road:
'90 Specialized Allez - Old school down tube shifters they work. Ride on the road when the mod strikes me. not as much as I used to.

Mt:
Specialized FSR - '99. Full Suspension. this one is for serious trail riding.

I built my own from a custom frame a friend built components.
I used to do up to commute up to 30 miles daily.
I lost it in a fire.
I know ride a piece of junk a couple of times a month and rarley do more than 5 miles

I used to ride a lot. In 2003 I organized and participated a 1,500 mile ride from Boston, MA to Jacksonville, FL for benefit of the American Institute of Cancer Research. It was a two week trip and we rode 100-120 miles per day. It was an awesome experience and we raised about $13,000 for the AICR. Would love to do something like that again but I'm far too busy with work for the training that would be involved. I still get out for the occasional ride here and there though.

I have a 2002 Giant OCR Elite 1

Commute, mountain, and road

Where do you ride?

The roads and trails around Boulder, and up in the rockies.

Why do you ride?

Cuz it is fun and good for the environment, and saves me $

What do you ride?

Commuter: Kona AA (1992), my first real mountain bike converted to a commuter
Mountain: Giant XTC NRS1 dual suspension, love this bike, lots of mods
Road: Cannondale R1000

Just tell us a little about your Bicycling

I commute to work every day (only 1 mile each way). Ride the commuter around town, especially when I head downtown to have drinks. Ride the road or mountain bike during the week after work a couple times a week, and usually get one really good long ride in on the weekends.

Where do you ride?
Why do you ride?
What do you ride?

I generally do mostly trail riding and some urban assault when the mood strikes me. I haven't done a lot of riding since moving to RI, but now that it has cooled down a bit I want to get out there and check it out. In Seattle I rode most of the popular trails, Tapeworm, SST, Green Mountain, and so on. Most of it was just trail riding or downhill. I do like a lot of the super twisty tight singletrack style trails.

I ride because I like to ride, the fitness is a plus but I do it because it is fun.

My main bike is a 2002 Giant AC2, but I also have a 1996 Cannondale that is in the middle of a (stalled) single speed conversion. I need to do a bit more work and replace the wheels and rear sprocket before it is truly ridable.

DSC02839_1.jpg

My AC2 @ South Sea-Tac park last summer.

I used to love road riding...I would put in a 12 mile round trip daily. I was starting to really shave time off the ride. We moved though and it would be a 24 mile round trip daily, which would really be tough, mostly because there are some grueling climbs. That and too many @sshats driving.

I plan on getting a mountainbike next year, probably a Gary Fischer but I haven't set myself up yet. We have a very highly esteemed mountain biking area from what I understand. They do lots of events like this one: wilderness 101

I really do love cycling and miss it.

My Stable:
2006 Di Bernardi Track, Miche Groupo, etc...
Chrome Schwinn road bike built around a raleigh 3-speed hub (my winter/bad weather ride)
Tall Bike
Penny Farthing
Daisy Daisy Tandem
Old FS GT mountain bike

I want more, but money is certainly an object right now. I'm to get a decent road bike for next season. And if i'm back in CO for law school next year a nice hard tail is in order. And hopefully a SS 29er....

bikes and beer are my addictions, and they both cost money. and money is something i do not have enough of.

as far as the other questions go:

i'll ride almost anything. track, mtn, road, even the occasional BMX afternoon.

I ride all over Chicago. My bike is my main form of transportation. I ride 13 miles/day to/from work. Plus anywhere else I go.

Why ride? Why not? it's cheaper, better for the environment, and better for me.

As promised here's a couple of pics of the MTB my brother and I Just finished building.
Its a custom, hand made, fillet brazed, CroMo frame and fork. 29er in the front and 26 in the back. Its single speed right now but easily switched to derailleurs.

That sir is beautiful. Looks dangerous though, you should send it to me for thorough testing. :D

Where do you ride?
Why do you ride?
What do you ride?

I ride for leisure on streets, nothing aggressive. Usually around the hood but, sometimes around the trails at a nearby lake.

I ride mostly just to get out of the house on a nice day and spend time with my boy. He rides in the kangaroo child seat I have fitted to my donated Trek PK7.

Living in the Netherlands, it's almost impossible not to cycle - here the bicycle is king; if a car and a bicycle are involved in a collision, it's the legal presumption is that it's the car driver's fault!

We don't own a car, so do everything by bicycle; commuting to work, taking the kids to nursery, shopping.....

Here is my commuting workhorse.

I ride, but I dont think it is the same bike riding as the rest you fellas. Anybody ride a 20 inch bike? (Yes that is probably the size of bike that your kid rides) But thats why i ride one, everytime I feel like a kid, and I'm 29 yrs old. I ride mostly skateparks and street stuff, go high as you can, do what tricks you can, and just flow around as fast as you can.:rockin: I have been riding for almost 10 yrs, and should go for another 10. Yes, it is sort of dangerous, but once you've rode for a while you rarely get hurt. I ride an Eastern Dragon, run a 23-8 drivetrain, and my bike weighs 31 lbs. ( that is some what light for a 190 lb rider going in the air)

Primary: none
Secondary: Coffee Stout
Bottled: Am. Pale Ale, Vanilla Porter, Bock
R.I.P.: Am. Brown Ale, Choclate Porter, Oatmeal Stout

Another biker here, and anHBT jersey would be sweet!

Currently most of my cycling is street to the graveled bike paths of suburban Chicago, but I would love to do some light off-road/mountain biking.

Where do you ride?
I'm very luck in that I live within a mile of the intersection of the Fox River Trail (33 mile trail) and the Illinois Prairie Path (62 mile trail) and am only several miles drive from endless miles of county farm roads, or a Metra ride from the Chicago Lakefront trails.

Why do you ride?
I originally started riding as exercise to try and get rid of all the weight I'd put on after graduating from college. I'd always loved cycling as a kid and figured if I had to do something to drop weight, it might as well be something I loved. Once I started it was like an addicition and I always wanted to push myself farther or faster. Now I ride because I just love being on the bike.

What do you ride?
2003 Trek 4500 MTB - Nice bike, but needs some repairs.

2006 Trek 5000TCT - Love the carbon frame and how it seems to glide. Picked it up used from my boss for $200.

Here is a pic of my main MTB...

20081003151138.jpg

Full squish 29er. It is a little flexy, but handles everything I throw at it.

I road ride, I have a trek 4500, but it rarely gets used.

I ride to shed unwanted beer weight.:eek:

The roads in Tennessee are VERY steep and demanding. Since im mostly about losing weight, I try to go hard for 15 to 20 miles, plus that's all my ultra sensitive butt can take!

DSCN1711.jpg

I ride cross country and uni. I stick to local trails on the MTB - but CT trails are some of the best - anywhere on the uni. I ride for fun.

I have a Gary Fisher hardtail for trails and several unis - a custom trials rig, a freestyle uni, and a giraffe.

An HBT bike jersey is a nifty idea.

Mostly cross country trails but also some all mountain and light free ride stuff.
I would love to down hill but unfortunately Florida isn't built for that kind of stuff.
If I could commute I would. 95% of my driving is to work and back and it is on one of the absolute worst roads to drive on, let alone bike.
Where do you ride?
Mostly local trails.
Why do you ride?
First it was just for fun but I lost 40 pounds in the first three months. It is still mostly for fun though!
What do you ride?
My hard tail/intro bike. 07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 with plenty o' upgrades.
S5031789.jpg

This is my baby! An 08 Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe. This bike is so light, climbs like a goat, and turns on a dime at any speed.
S5031857.jpg

Did some road racing for awhile... kids got in the way of training. Raced MTB as well, but broken ribs and seperated shoulders kinda put a stop to that. Currently, I have a Specilized S-works, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Boston Fixie (track) and a couple of MTB's. Sold my Fuel 90 after the shoulder went pop the third time. Getting fat on home brew and will start doing tours and centuries again. Who knows when the kids are gone I may start to train to race again. The user name, Paramedic and a bike wrench.
I do miss my Kona Ka-Boom SS. It had glow in the dark decals:rockin:

Back