Kegerator shank/connector question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
So SWMBO gave approval for a new kegerator, and I had the 8.9 cu ft Whirlpool Chest Freezer in the house within an hour. Minds can change, so one must act fast. Two questions...

I'm going to use this template for the collar:

Chest Freezer Collar

So there will be an inner 2x4 and an outer 1x6. That means three inches of collar to drill through for the shanks. What length shanks shoud I get to make sure they're long enough to attach the faucets (Perlicks) and beer lines, without leaving too much length that they''ll be in the way?

As far as attaching the beet line to the shank, is this the connector that I need?:

Connectors for Beer Lines Replacement Parts - Beer & Air Line

If not that, then what?

So I need the faucet, the shank, the beer line connector for shank, the beer line (3/16), and the disconnect for the corny. Is that it as far as the corny to faucet connection? Anything I'm missing?

I'm pretty sure that the 4" shank would be too short with a 3" collar, but it would be close - mine are all buried in my keezer now, so I can't get a tape measure on them. Maybe somebody with a collar style can answer that one for you.

It looks to me like your list is good for the liquid side : Faucet, Shank, Washer, Tail, Nut, Beer Line, Clamps (2), and Liquid QD.

Shanks without the nipple brazed in are measured from the end of the faucet nut to the back of the shank. The ones with the nipple brazed include the nipple in the measurement.

2x4 + 1x6 is actually 2.25" thick. A 4" shank should work. Not that you were asking, but I think all that lumber is overkill. I'd use 1x4 and sit that on top of the ledge. "glue" it down with 100% silicone caulk. It ends up being 3/4" thick and you can use a 3" shank. If you really want the ledge + overhang desing, maybe use 1 x 4 and 1 x 6.

Shanks without the nipple brazed in are measured from the end of the faucet nut to the back of the shank. The ones with the nipple brazed include the nipple in the measurement.

2x4 + 1x6 is actually 2.25" thick. A 4" shank should work. Not that you were asking, but I think all that lumber is overkill. I'd use 1x4 and sit that on top of the ledge. "glue" it down with 100% silicone caulk. It ends up being 3/4" thick and you can use a 3" shank. If you really want the ledge + overhang desing, maybe use 1 x 4 and 1 x 6.

Thanks. I may look at 1x4 instead of 2x4 for the inside. The only reason for the overhang I guess is to help hold the collar in place. I'm not particularly handy or good with woodworking, and it seems likely that I could make it look better having 1x6 on the outside. But I dunno yet. I'm assuming though the the 4 inch height of the collar is sufficient to drill the faucet holes?

Make sure your shank has all these with it:
Coupling nut
Sleeve
Snap ring
Plastic flange
Flanged lock nut

which are included with the shanks from KegWorks where you linked but may not be from other places.

If I'm not mistaken, the shank holes need to be 1-1/8" diameter and the large black trim washer is only 2.25". I don't want to derail your plans but wanted to let you know that I have a series of youtube videos on collar construction and freezer conversion for this using the very 8.9cuft you have. There's text and pictures on my website also. Good luck.

I don't want to derail your plans but wanted to let you know that I have a series of youtube videos on collar construction and freezer conversion for this using the very 8.9cuft you have. There's text and pictures on my website also. Good luck.

Hey sweet. No plans really to derail yet. I've got the freezer but I've not started the conversion or purchased any of the equipment or supplies. I'll definitely check out your videos.

Latest posts

Back