Why cant companies do what they say?!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deofol

Reaction score
Ok,

So I'm a ****ing positive thinkier. RIGHT? I expect companionies to do what ethey say they will... RIGHT? I give you money.. You give me the producvt you promise.

I expect people and things to do what they say they can. I spend $800+ on a kegerator (Sanyo), and not like a ****ing conversion, you got me? I got the real deal. A KEGERATOR. A GOD DAMNED ****ING KEGERATOR!!! The mother****er took a semi to deliver to my ****ing house!!! 1/2BBL yes! I can cool 15 gallons of beer. BULL****!. The fuker cante keep the **** below 40 degrees. and you m,ean I got to read and make ****ing air pumps to ciurculate the air? FOAM? **** that. Come on people, that is why I spent teh $$$!?? RIGHT?

You mean some chinese enginerre canr drink beer? REALLY? DID they not test this **** with a frucking keg of beer in china? They got Sing toa or some **** like that right? Pfffft... Piss.

ANd then you have the next episode. The fermentor. I have a MiniBrew 6.5 gallon plasic taste infusing device. God help me.

This thing ferments beer like a chemical wasteplant. I've put... scratched wasted 4 KEGS (ie. 5 gallons * 4 = 2560oz of beer, 213+ cans) through this thing,. The first was undrinkable. I mean just absolutley UW-****ING-LE. Poured out. I mean PISS ****. Second. ****. I mean if you smell the ****ing container, it stinks like plastic pooo.

I thought, damned. I'm doing it wrong. I must be doing something wrong!!! (At this point I have 10+ brews under my belt). and then I read this gem from their web site. Look closely.....

www.minibrew.com

"Welcome to the Hobby Beverage Equipment Company www.minibrew.com, web site. We would like to give you information about our products and component parts. There has been talk about permeability, staining, sterilization, off flavors and much more. We will address all these issues. The process is an evolutionary process. We will not post it all at once, so stay tuned. If you have something to say about our products and with your approval, we will post it under comments. Please let us know if you are having problems with our web page or our products."

"and much more"... I'll say. How the hell you going to address my last 4 batches of **** beer? You pig-****ers, my last 4 beers taste like plastic ****.

But I digress.

You know, the really sad part is, I want this all to work. I want to say "Yes my fellow brewers. This is the ****! These guys did the homework and they have great products!" But alas, I can not. They are selling us **** with marketing hype and we are justifying it with modifications to make it work right. REALLYH? That;s not my job. In my job, things work and I dont hafve to kiss your dick to make you happy.

Apearantly we're all ****ed. Throw up the white flag. We're going down in a **** storm of incompetence.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Wow thats a drunken ramble. Very nice.

Hell yea it is...

I'm pulling another pint. It taste like plastic, but **** it. I'm on a mission.

Why are you such a wuss?? Why don't you grow some testicles and just say what's on your mind??? Give it to us straight. There's no need to keep your language clean!!! :rockin: :D

Sounds just terrible...sorry for your predicament...I'm mad too!!:mad:

Where are you from? Can we party sometime? Somebody's got to help you feel better soon...:D

Hell Brew said:
Wait.
So are you saying not to get a minibrew conical?
:D

I'm just saying the last 4 beers sincse my MiniBrew, in my history orf 10 or more, all taste like plastic. Perhaps I didn't season it right witht enough bacon grease.

Perhaps I'm just druck andf dont know good taste.?

Deofol said:
I'm just saying the last 4 beers sincse my MiniBrew, in my history orf 10 or more, all taste like plastic. Perhaps I didn't season it right witht enough bacon grease.

Perhaps I'm just druck andf dont know good taste.?

I don't know, man, that "beer" in your avatar looks like a glass of f*cking cranberry juice.

The pisser is that most of us have built our own kegerators because we know the commercial ones we can buy for a little more are built like sh*t. Yuri, I think, got a great deal on one, but it was clear that the construction was crap, and I think he was having problems with temps. Pisser you learned this the hard way, though.

**** it, have another pint.

Deofol said:
Bacon is good. RIGHT?
You can' t forget the bacon!! I always make sure to rub some in my fermenter right along with the starsan foam. If I have any left over I rub my chest with it while I drink beer and stare at my mashtun.:cross: :drunk:

The pisser is that most of us have built our own kegerators because we know the commercial ones we can buy for a little more are built like sh*t.

That is the reall pisser of this whole post. We should get off our ass and find a way to provide real gear to those of us who will use and appreciate it.

**** it, have another pint.

Indeed I will. Swill another plastic tasting fill.

Thankg god the cascades cover the smell...

Not trying to be a dick but stop throwing money at your beer expecting it to get better. Most homebrewers build their own stuff for a reason. Go on, be drunk and get pissed but it's true.

Send everyone here, we'll tell them how to built it themselves. That's what this goddamn country was founded on - SELF ****ING RELIANCE!

(actually, it's pretty ****ing easy, if I can do it, anyone can).

Brett0424 said:
Not trying to be a dick but stop throwing money at your beer expecting it to get better. Most homebrewers build their own stuff for a reason. Go on, be drunk and get pissed but it's true.

I'm pretty sure my beer is fine.

"Most homebrewers build their own stuff for a reason."

Perhaps the market isn't listening to us.

"Go on, be drunk and get pissed but it's true."

Is it right that my kegerator can't cool below 40 degrees? That's STRAIGHT UP BULSlHIT my friend. Druck or not. An $800 box can't keep beer at hte proper temp? Somthing is wrong witht this situation.

At least IMO. Am I wrong?

Honestly the real issuie isn't teh temp of the beer, but hte taste.

Read... "MiniBrew Conical Taste like Plastic"

--- "But will get you druck."

There.. I said it.

Id be pissed spending good money on stuff thats obviously built to only make the largest % of profit.

You make something thats supposed to hold consumables but yet it permeates flavors into the food/beer? Thats un ****ing real. I cannot believe that they would even release that on the market. Im sure as **** not getting one of those now. I will stick with the SS conical if and when I ever get one.

Man...I don't know....part of me wonders if you put some hot water in the conical and let it soak just to get the initial leeching of flavors over with.....but what do I know? On another note....what possessed you to spend $800 on a kegerator when you could have made a classier one yourself?

Have you demanded your money back from the minibrew chumps? It seems like they've all but admitted that their product is flawed. I'd be demanding restitution IIWY.

As for the kegerator, how cold do you really want your beers? My big fridge where I keep my secondary kegging op doesn't really get too far below 40, and for a lot of beer styles, even that is too cold. I pulled a pint of dry stout last night and had to wait 15 minutes for it to warm up. I mean, of course you should have consulted HBT first and you'd have known that it's MUCH cheaper to do your own conversion, and it'd have worked better, but what're you gonna do? The fact of the matter is, it's not as bad as you make it out to be. For instance, which of these beer categories is served below 40f? That's right: none. All the literature I've read says 38-42f is the right range for serving on draft. I keep mine about at that temp. So rdwhahb, it's not as bad as you think. I know, the fridge SHOULD be able to go lower, but what can you really do now?

I have a Haier Kegerator and it too had problems getting temp down low enough to stop foaming. It is a well known problem and the solution was to pull off the thermostat control and turn a little set screw 180 degrees.

Works like a champ now. Keeps beer at 38 degrees and foam to minimum while holding 3 cornies.

1) 40F is a near perfect temp to keep beer IMO. Cold enough for the BMC crew, warm enough that it quickly warms to 50 for the snob crowd. I drink mine somewhere right in between. Should have built your own (4912), saved $200 or more on a better product (I bet yours didn't come with Perlicks!), and be able to freeze your beer if you want to...

2) A kegerator is a piece of equipment which you can fix and/or modify. If it's foaming, it's probably foaming for a good reason. Release some pressure from that keg, turn down the PSI on the CO2, get some longer beer line, clean the lines, etc. Easy fixes...

3) If the Mini-brew sucks that bad, QUIT USING IT! You could try to get your money back as Evan suggested, but not sure if that will work. Either way, chalk up the $100 or so you 'wasted' on the Mini-brew to bad luck, but STOP WASTING 4 BATCHES OF BEER. With todays prices that is probably more than the cost of the fermenter. And FWIW, I've saw many positive posts about the Mini-brew on here. Now either those people couldn't make beer (or notice the flaw), Mini-brew fixed some flaw with regards to leeching flavors, or you can't make beer. Has to be one of those three...

Here's to "warm", plastic tasting pints!

** pokes head in thread... What happened here and who peed on my rug? **

I know that 40 degrees is just about perfect. It just sucks that I have to crank the thing all the way to get it there. I like having a little more control. I'll look like Ed suggested, perhaps mine has an adjustment screw as well.

The reason I didn't do a conversion was (A) - I wanted to have the room for 3 cornies and (B) - I would prefer to pay $200 more for something I didn't have to jack with, modify, tweak, hack, etc.

(And the 800 smackers included perlick upgrades. So I have that going for me.)

As for the mini-brew. I'm calling them today to see WTH is going on. Perhaps I got a bad batch. The first brew I did was my first all grain, so I just figured I screwed something up. The second, was an extract kit, but an unfamiliar recipe. So I thought maybe it was the recipe.

The current keg (third batch) which just came to maturity last night was a beer I know how to do, and know what it taste like, and it's normally really really good. But this one has obvious off flavors. Once I realized that, I sampled the forth batch, which is now keg conditioning, and it also had that familiar astringent, plastic/chemical, weird off flavor. It's intensity seems to be degrading over batches, but still. :mad:

At that point I ran over and sniffed the minibrew (which is now empty) and BINGO. There was that same odd smell that the other batches had. Then I hit the site and it just seemed like they were hiding that bit of text within that main message... I guess my blood just boiled. It all seemed a bit shady IMO.

I'm not trying to slander Mini-Brew. Actually I love the thing, and am actually really sad that it is causing this issue, because everything else about it is freggin awesome.

I'll call them today and see what can be done. I cringe at the thought of having to lug around glass carboys again.

Well hell.

I called the guy at MiniBrew and he was very nice and very helpful. He insists there is no way the plastic conical is adding off flavors. The plastic, according to him is "completely inert", and in no way could possibly leach flavor. His recommendations are to soak with bleach, and then rinse well with hot/boiling water.

So it's back to the drawing board. Something has got to be causing this. Of every batch I've done before (at least 10+), I've never had this issue with my glass carboys and the main element of change is using the MiniBrew and an aluminum stock pot.

SO... The chemically, astringent flavor is ether coming from...

Aluminum Kettle
Vinyl Hoses
StarSan
Over steeped grains (I usually do 155degrees @ 30 minutes)
Keg Conditioning
Bacteria of some kind

When I tasted the worts, they didn't have this flavor prior to fermenting. I'll give everything a good look over again tonight. :( I'm at a loss.

Add fermentation temp to that list. You can get plasticy medicinal flavors at higher temps.

Back