Fermentation Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltG

Reaction score
Ok, so since I'm new to this I spend most of my free time reading, watching videos, etc. So today I was looking at fermentation temps. So out of curiosity I poked my thermometer (sanitized of course) into my 1-gallon fermenter. Came up with 75 degrees. Using safale us-05 which says 59-75.

Question is will it make a difference to bring the temp down a few degrees?

Ok, so since I'm new to this I spend most of my free time reading, watching videos, etc. So today I was looking at fermentation temps. So out of curiosity I poked my thermometer (sanitized of course) into my 1-gallon fermenter. Came up with 75 degrees. Using safale us-05 which says 59-75.

75F is probably way too warm for 05 yeast. My experience with this strain has indicated it is much happier at 65-68. Others may give other numbers but I think most will suggest cooler than 75. Personally, I like to run 05 at 65-66F and have had decent results with it there. (I'm now using BRY-97 for most beers that I used to use 05 for.)

If it has been in the fermenter more than a couple of days it may not matter all that much at this point.

75 is probably way too warm for 05 yeast. My experience with this strain has indicated it is much happier at 66-68. Others may give other numbers but I think most will suggest cooler than 75.

I wrapped a towel around it with a water bath, see what that does...

It may or it may not depending on how long it has been fermenting at that temperature. Off flavors from fermenting too warm happen early in the fermenting and cooling the beer after they are produced won't make them go away. You need to start your beer fermenting at the lower end of the range and when the ferment slows you can let it warm up without off flavors developing.

It may or it may not depending on how long it has been fermenting at that temperature. Off flavors from fermenting too warm happen early in the fermenting and cooling the beer after they are produced won't make them go away. You need to start your beer fermenting at the lower end of the range and when the ferment slows you can let it warm up without off flavors developing.

This^^^^^^^^.

Next batch using US-05, get your wort chilled down into the low 60's before pitching and try to keep it in 64-65*F territory for the first few days until the krausen falls. After that, let it get up around 68-70*F (beer temp) to finish out. I think you'll like the result from that much better than the batch done in the 70's.

Once the beer reaches FG,give it another week to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. some or all of any off flavors produced can be cleaned up...to a point. Bottle time can clean up a little as well. but not if the off flavors are fairly strong.

Great comments above. I'd like to add that yeast being "happy" at a particular temperature is a bit misleading. Yeast will ferment quite well at warmer temperatures, the trouble is the flavors they produce. Fermenting cooler is not what the yeast prefer, it's what keeps them from producing too many off flavor compounds and fusel alcohol. I point this out because you may find that your 75 degree ferment producing a good brew, and ignore the advice to ferment cooler. This would be a mistake, as your brew could be even better fermented at the lower end of the yeast's temperature range...

Yes, the above posters are all correct. Your yeast will certainly perform at that temperature, and your beer might even be fine. But you're right on the edge of producing off flavors.

You did the right thing with the water bath. If that doesn't work, if you have an AC, blast it, and keep your fermenter near it. I live in a second floor apartment, so my place get's hot. I did that w/ my AC, and was able to keep my beer at 62-64. Yes, my electric bill was higher, but you do what you've gotta do.

Good info in this post. While I understand the urge to get the temps down, I wouldn't go too crazy. Whatever damage that may have occurred is already done. What you want now is for the yeast to stay active and clean up their mess. If you're at or near FG, and you chill the beer too quickly (which is easier to do with a small batch), you risk dropping the yeast out prematurely.

Honestly, I think the best thing to do would be to keep it where it's at. Give it a taste in a week or two. If you're happy, bottle it; if not, keep waiting a bit.

I always get the pitching temp down to 65-70. I don't really have any temp control. Just what my apt is at. Going to start doing the towel with the water bath deal on all mine just to see how it goes.

Checked this AM after wrapping towel overnight and was 69.

I am fermenting beers 4 and 5 in my fermentation chamber. I set it up a couple of months ago. The reason I did was as a result of brewing 4 high gravity beers. All of them were fermented at room temperature .. approximately 68 degrees, and all turned out very harsh. All of them were alcohol forward... a burning alcohol.. very unpleasant.

I've been brewing for quite awhile and never had a problem fermenting at room temperature until I brewed the bigger beers. I searched on HBT, asked questions, read other sources on the subject, and determined the cause was that my fermentation temperature was too high, and wasn't constant during the first week or so of fermentation. So the deep freezer was re-purposed and a temp controller was added.

I brewed a high gravity beer first. It spent a week in the fermentation chamber, and has been in a dark closet for the past 2 weeks. I'll rack it to secondary and cold crash next week. I'm anxious to see if all of the extra effort was worth it. If not, I'll be scratching my head again.

To the OP... Before fermenting, I definately research the suggested temperature range for the particular yeast I'm using. I set the temp controller accordingly.

Most of what is said here is good advice, so I'll only add a couple things:

1. Internal temperature rises during active fermentation. This is strongest on day 2 through 4 (approximate, YMMV). It's during this time that you should really pay attention to temperature control. A wet towel alone or with a fan can help you drop about 10 degrees below ambient.

2. Yeast can clean up after themselves, so let the fermented wort sit on the yeast for a while to give them time to get rid of some of the nasty flavors. Many go up to 1 month or more. Yeast quality today means you can do this without adding off flavor due to autolysis. It's under airlock, so it's protected from O2 spoilage, as well. Since you were a bit high on temperature for the cleanest ferment, this may be a good thing for you to do.

I am fermenting beers 4 and 5 in my fermentation chamber. I set it up a couple of months ago. The reason I did was as a result of brewing 4 high gravity beers. All of them were fermented at room temperature .. approximately 68 degrees, and all turned out very harsh. All of them were alcohol forward... a burning alcohol.. very unpleasant.

I've been brewing for quite awhile and never had a problem fermenting at room temperature until I brewed the bigger beers. I searched on HBT, asked questions, read other sources on the subject, and determined the cause was that my fermentation temperature was too high, and wasn't constant during the first week or so of fermentation. So the deep freezer was re-purposed and a temp controller was added.

I brewed a high gravity beer first. It spent a week in the fermentation chamber, and has been in a dark closet for the past 2 weeks. I'll rack it to secondary and cold crash next week. I'm anxious to see if all of the extra effort was worth it. If not, I'll be scratching my head again.

To the OP... Before fermenting, I definately research the suggested temperature range for the particular yeast I'm using. I set the temp controller accordingly.

Why move it to secondary and cold crash it? If it was a high gravity beer it probably isn't done yet. Let the yeast chew away at it as with the higher alcohol in it they are laboring under adverse conditions. If it isn't done and you cold crash it, the beer will never finish.

On the next batch, if the wet towel and fan don't get the temperature down enough, you can add some ice jugs to the water bath. (Or since it's only 1 gallon, maybe just a few ice cubes.) Also, I read about a fire caused by an unattended fan running continuously. The ice method gives good control, but it requires more attention, because the temp drops and then warms back up. With a 1 gallon fermenter, it might not even be practical because of the temp swings?

well checked it again and said 95 degrees. Also said ice water was 65 degrees. **** you thermometer!

well checked it again and said 95 degrees. Also said ice water was 65 degrees. **** you thermometer!

Hey, at least all you have at stake is a 1 gallon batch! Even if it doesn't turn out as well as you wanted, it will have been a great learning experience.

Great advice from everyone on this thread!

I have a 5 gallon batch going which might have same issue but hoping its ok

I'm going to poke into this thread with a related question if OP doesn't mind.

I'm still a beginner, about to start my fourth and fifth batches. Most of the year my house sits around 70 to 75 so I've primarily worried about cooling down my fermenters, but for the next month or so we're looking at 60 or maybe up to 63 inside. I know that's a good place for ales when they're actively fermenting, but will I have issues once a batch stops churning and producing its own heat? Should I plan to heat up an area to help the yeasties finish out fermentation?

wingedcoyote, Please remember the inside of the fermenter during active fermentation can be between 5 and 10 degrees warmer than the room it is in. So, the (most) critical time is in the first 4 or 5 days of fermentation

I produce my best beers this time of year, when my basement is 57-60. I use US-05 a lot, so diacetyl isn't ever a concern, but it will depend on the yeast. I think you'll be just fine at 60-63.

WaltG said:

With temperature being an important factor in many stages of brewing, a dependable thermometer is an important piece of equipment. Cheap glass ones are inaccurate and dangerous, and your average kitchen store digital isn't much better. Check out VWR.com or any other lab certified digital and at least you'll know you're working with real numbers...

Back