A problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A7X

Reaction score
I accidentally spilled about a quarter or 30% of my crushed grain on the floor. I threw it out. Will this effect how my beer tastes if I end up using less crushed grain then I was supposed to in the kit?

If it was steeping malt grain then you're going to lose some flavour and some colour. If it were base malt grains for mashing you'd lose some flavour and fermentible sugar gravity points so the ABV% would end up a bit lower.

I accidentally spilled about a quarter or 30% of my crushed grain on the floor. I threw it out. Will this effect how my beer tastes if I end up using less crushed grain then I was supposed to in the kit?

To which "crushed grain" are you referring?

What if i boiled it longer?

It's boiling as we speak bro.

You're only going to lose a little flavour, colour and body, but at only a pound of grains the 30% you chucked is going to be a small fraction of the total, extracts used, so won't make a huge difference.

5 gallon batch??

You're only going to lose a little flavour, colour and body, but at only a pound of grains the 30% you chucked is going to be a small fraction of the total, extracts used, so won't make a huge difference.

5 gallon batch??

Yes sir. Cream Ale from Northern Brewer.

OTOH, boiling would have killed any of the nasties that the grain would have picked up on the floor.

Funny, that's the same thing I was just thinking. I would have gathered them up, put them back in the steeping sack, and ran with it. :rockin:

Back