Dark Star Burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a new product offered by Northern Brewer. A "torch style" propane burner. $39.99. I like the simplicity of the stand design but not sure about the actually burner.

I don't see it anywhere on their site, and a google search reveals nothing for me. Got a link?

i also saw this in the ad i got in the mail this morning also. no luck finding it on the website though. ill be going to the milwaukee store later today. ill have to ask about it.

was gonna order the SP10 off amazon today but looks like ill have to hold off for awhile.

I think this type is also called a jet burner. They have more focused heat vs more dispersed like you get with a banjo type.

I use the jet type burner. It works fine for my 15 gallon pot. In theory they can darken light styles due to caramelization, but I haven't had issues that I care about.
Camp chef shp-rl is what I got.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001D32QK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I think the NB will work the same, and it's price competitive. Which is to say, I don't think you would be disappointed in the purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I can tell, it's identical to this
Walmart Link
Edit: (sportsmans guide site doesn't like links)

It's an unbranded chinese burner you can find on alibaba. Not that it's a bad thing. Generic burner sold under many names, whereas camp chef, bayou, etc. seem to have specific styles (probably from the same factory in China).

Fire is hot the whole world 'round.

As far as I can tell, it's identical to this
http://m.sportsmansguide.com/Product.aspx?a=559859

It's an unbranded chinese burner you can find on alibaba. Not that it's a bad thing. Generic burner sold under many names, whereas camp chef, bayou, etc. seem to have specific styles (probably from the same factory in China).

Fire is hot the whole world 'round.

Link doesn't work for me. :0(

Thanks! Looks like any standard "turkey fryer" type burner. You can find them about this time of year with a 7.5 gallon aluminum pot for as low as $40.00 at your local big box stores. The only thing that differs is the stand the burner is mounted to and sometimes a timer/thermocouple safety module.

Hey All - i came across this thread looking for more info on the dark star burner. Plan on calling NB tomorrow and ordering one. I will let you know how it works.
For 40 bucks not a big loss if its terrible.

Called and tried to order. They don't have them in stock yet. Hopefully around the first of February. They are on a slow boat from China.

It looks like it's now available, at least from their web site:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the-dark-star-burner.html

"Availability: In stock"

Funny how that goes. UPS just dropped off my Bayou Classic SQ14 this morning, for which I paid $45. I don't mind, I think the SQ14's burner, being more like a low-pressure mini-banjo than a high-pressure jet burner, will be worth the extra $5.

UPS just dropped off my Bayou Classic SQ14 this morning, for which I paid $45. I don't mind, I think the SQ14's burner, being more like a low-pressure mini-banjo than a high-pressure jet burner, will be worth the extra $5.

I've had mine for over 5 years now, bought it at Home Depot if I remember correctly. Still going strong as when I bought it, and have brewed over 100 batches with it easily. Only thing I've had to replace is the gas hose about a yr ago. You will be happy you spent the extra $5:mug:

I talked with someone who tried one out. He said it'd be fine for partial-boil extract, but the boil was weak enough he didn't think it'd be able to boil 6.5G for all grain. Said he got a more vigorous boil using his kitchen's gas stove.

I talked with someone who tried one out. He said it'd be fine for partial-boil extract, but the boil was weak enough he didn't think it'd be able to boil 6.5G for all grain. Said he got a more vigorous boil using his kitchen's gas stove.

Really? I just picked one up, should ship tonight.. The comments you heard though seem to be a contradiction to the way NB is advertising it. 54,000 BTU doesn't seem like anything to shrug at, power wise.

My father-in-law uses a very similar (his looks exactly the same as the NB burner) to deep fry his turkeys and do shrimp boils. I can say from experience that is has no problem bringing five gallons to a good boil. I have actually been debating setting one up for my hot liquor pot and having a traditional banjo for my wort pot. His cooker does not use a lot of propane; but dear Lord is it loud.

macewank said:
Really? I just picked one up, should ship tonight.. The comments you heard though seem to be a contradiction to the way NB is advertising it. 54,000 BTU doesn't seem like anything to shrug at, power wise.

Please update when you use it. I really like the price and this will be my first non stovetop burner.

Cheers!

I was thinking about getting one, but at some point this year I plan on upgrading from a 5 gallon stock pot to a 15 gallon kettle. The description on the NB website says that it "supports kettles up to 10 gallons". Since I don't want to have to buy another burner unless it says "Blichmann" on it, I ended up buying a Bayou Classics SP-10 from Home Depot instead... $10 more, but free shipping. :fro:

It should boil a 5 gallon easily its the same burner/flame diffuser as a BC jet cooker.
The problem is with the newer regulators leak detector mode.

gone are the days of setting a regulator and turning on or of the gas bottle.

you have to start
gas off/regulator off
gas on
regulator on
everytime
any other sequence and the regulator goes into safety mode and you are forever simmering, if your lucky.

i have one. pretty happy with it, it throws out a lot of heat. yes it is a little loud, if thats a concern to anyone (?). my only issue with it really is that you cannot regulate the flame to keep it from being a really dirty flame - it throws off a lot of black soot on the bottom of my kettle.

I used it for the first time today. I agree with itsratso, it's difficult to regulate, at least this first time. I was able to dial it in eventually and it burns very hot. I was able to keep a rigorous boil easily.

I don't like at all that the paint burned off.

ForumRunner_20130915_145524.png

ForumRunner_20130915_145537.jpg

ForumRunner_20130915_145549.png

That paint is going to burn off regardless. That happened to my Bayou Burner & I just used a wire brush to clean it up. Past the first use, no issues with paint.

Why would they paint it at all if that's going to happen on your first burn?

I used mine for the first time last night. I had no issues keeping a boil, but I couldn't keep it from blackening the bottom of my pot. I guess I need to play with the air/fuel mixture more, but the shutter doesn't seem to do much.

I'll be using mine tomorrow. Got it in NB'S free black Friday deal, with a pump I wanted anyway. Two burners, will be nice.

I have had one for about 6 months. Only issue is an occasional stiff wind blowing it out. It's Chicago so not a surprise. Not a difficult fix. EASILY boils a 5 gallon batch and could do bigger as long as the pot fits. At $40 you can't touch that deal. Well worth the money.

I have been using my dark star for a while. It works great and has no problem boiling 5+ gallons. It blackens the pot a bit when I run it low but not overly bad. For the price I am happy. Simple and effective. If you are looking to order several things, they have had some sales where the burner is free with $150 order or something like that. Greet deal if you were buying some other equipment or ingredients.

I have been using my dark star for a while. It works great and has no problem boiling 5+ gallons. It blackens the pot a bit when I run it low but not overly bad. For the price I am happy. Simple and effective. If you are looking to order several things, they have had some sales where the burner is free with $150 order or something like that. Greet deal if you were buying some other equipment or ingredients.

Which is why I bought the grain mill.

Just in case any one is still following this for a review of the dark start burner, I just got it on Friday and I'm brewing tomorrow. It'll be a 5 gal batch in a 10 gal kettle. I'll keep you guys posted.

Back