Keezer Coffin Granite Top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC-Brewer

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have posted their keezer plans on this site. I am drawing up plans for either a coffin keezer or one with a number of tower (three doubles likely for six taps). I'm basing this on a frigidaire 14.8 cf chest freezer.

I have a slap of granite I would like to use for the top of this freezer that was left over from the kitchen installation. Using this would definitely help the keezers acceptance within the family since it would match the rest of the kitchen / living room.

My question is whether the hinges could support a lid topped with slab granite. I've seen a number of keepers topped with tile but any experience with the heavier slab would be appreciated. Can't wait to post plans and pics once construction gets underway.

if your slab is the normal 1-1.25 " thick granite i really doubt those factory hinges will support the weight.
have you considerd the effort of just lifting that kind of weight each time you need to get in there to do something?
may I suggest instead of real slab granite try looking for the 1/8" or 3/16" thick cut 12"x12" ...or larger tile that many home improvement stores sell.
or you could use marble tile.
i had considerd using the granite tile as a counter top myself.
much lighter, cheaper; still real granite and the joints use clear epoxy so they fit together clean.
good luck with your project.

GD51:mug:

every lid is rated for a specific weight I believe. My Maytag 14.8 is rated for 200 lbs. I've just been hoping this is enough.

Appreciate the response. The granite or marble tiles are a backup plan. I have the matching counters already in the granite and I hate not to use a sweet piece of 4 foot long "scrap" is why I wanted to do this but it would be a bear to lift.

Does anyone know of a way to build a coldbox with front entry and a port on the top to mount a tower (like a kegerator). Been looking for a chest freezer shaped refrigerator with front entry and can't find anything.

Make a lid out of 3/4" ply, ditch the freezer lid, & double up hinges... get an extra pair from a Sears outlet or someplace so the plywood lid & granite sits on 4 hinges rather than 2 maybe?

Make a lid out of 3/4" ply, ditch the freezer lid, & double up hinges... get an extra pair from a Sears outlet or someplace so the plywood lid & granite sits on 4 hinges rather than 2 maybe?

If you're suggesting attaching a second set of hinges directly to the chest freezer, that would be risky bidness for sure.

Otoh, with a collar design one could use a whole bunch of massive hinges between collar and lid...

Cheers!

yeah the weight limit isnt because of the lid itself. that can be re-enforced. its how much weight the hinges can support. more hinges = more weight. jsut be careful drilling into the side of your freezer. be sure not to hit a coolant line.

If you're suggesting attaching a second set of hinges directly to the chest freezer, that would be risky bidness for sure.

Otoh, with a collar design one could use a whole bunch of massive hinges between collar and lid...

Cheers!

actually, no. I was suggesting on ditching the freezer lid itself & make a 'new' lid with 2x4s as a frame to make the seal then cover it with plywood. Stock hinges would attach the 2x4 frame to the chest as they would the standard lid.

but I see what others are saying about the hinges handling the weight... I can say my lid has to weight 100lbs + & while the Keezer is young, no issues yet!

Any pictures of this setup yet? I also have a large piece of granite and want to put a real 4 T tap or coffin box on top, but my keezer is against the wall and I don't want to put it on wheels to move it out...I was gonna see if I could use a delrin or other type of "slippery" feet so that I could pull it out to open the lid, but a keezer with 5 full kegs and 100lb piece of granite might not slide well...

Back