Mango Pulp Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, this is my first wine... It started at about 1.095 SG and finished around .999 SG. It was nice and clear in the primary. My problem is that when I transferred I got some of the fruit lees with it (not a big deal I think), but I have a huge amount of head space over the wine...is this going to make it go bad? Should I do anything to correct it? Thanks!

Made a double batch of this Saturday, split it between 2 one-gallon jugs and attached airlocks. Fermentation started very quickly and is getting more vigorous, but 4 days later it seems that most of the pulp has risen to the top and keeps getting pushed up into my airlocks. Have had to clean and reattach the airlock 5 times in the past couple of days. Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? I shake it down but it just gets pushed up again.

Hrm, weird - we've never had that happen! Not sure why the pulp would rise instead of sink - what brand did you use? Maybe it's a different texture or something? We've only ever used the Swad Kesar stuff.

Made a double batch of this Saturday, split it between 2 one-gallon jugs and attached airlocks. Fermentation started very quickly and is getting more vigorous, but 4 days later it seems that most of the pulp has risen to the top and keeps getting pushed up into my airlocks. Have had to clean and reattach the airlock 5 times in the past couple of days. Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? I shake it down but it just gets pushed up again.

This is not unusual in my experince. I have not done this recipe but plan to do a variant. A lot of my melomels have the fruit rise to the top and sometime out of the air lock. The only way to avoid this is to do your primary ferment in a bucket, leave plenty of head space in your carboy, or use a blow-off tube. I perfer to use a bucket to do my primary. This allows for easy stirring, SG checks, and avoiding the problem you are having.

Cheers

Costco is having a sale on the langers mango nectar and I am thinking about trying to make the wine with this. Can anybody see an issue with that? ($2 off, not sure what it will end up being but should be pretty inexpensive)

I made a small batch of this a few months ago, then made a batch of Skeeter Pee... ended up blending them 2:1 (6 gallons of Skeeter Pee to 3 gallons of mango wine), with a little sweetening I have 9 gallons of this amazing mango lemonade! And at ~11% abv, it's easy to get in trouble with. :)

Got a batch of this aging now... at it's last racking I gave it a taste, it's crazy good. It stalled out at 1.010, right where I like it. Might bottle it in a few months if I can stand it that long!

Would this wine benefit from the addition of some saffron after the last racking?
Be an interesting bonus for color restoration, additional aromas and even add a nice bitterness or a tannin like mouthfeel.
Mmmm that does sound good.

I want to make a 4 gallon version of this..couple questions

1. If I'm buying spring water and a new pack of sugar, do I still have to do the simmering? Or can I just get everything into the arbor from container?

2. I multiply everything in the recipe by 4 except the yeast and acid, correct?

Thanks!

Well...I just took the plunge. I multiplied everything by 4 except the yeast, although I added a half pack of monchartret wine yeast in addition to the champagne yeast...I want this sucker to dry out

Started bubbling and fizzing in 12 hours, and currently fermenting on the cool side around 68 degrees

Very excited for this to be ready!

Here's my update after 5 weeks in the carboy...I'm probably not going to rack it away and just bottle after 4 months in there

P1030767.jpg

P1030769.jpg

Then I told the dog he can't have any...

001.jpg

Getting ready to make a 2.5 gallon batch of this. My background is beer so you may have to forgive my ignorance. Just curious how essential the wine additives are to this?

I threw down a 1 gallon batch of this a few months ago. It stalled out at 1.055. Yikes! I'm guessing the OG was super high. I didn't test it, as I didn't have a ton of wine to test. It tasted amazing though. I'm going to give it another shot with a 3 gallon batch. What OG should I be trying to hit to get this thing to dry out? Thanks.

I threw down a 1 gallon batch of this a few months ago. It stalled out at 1.055. Yikes! I'm guessing the OG was super high. I didn't test it, as I didn't have a ton of wine to test. It tasted amazing though. I'm going to give it another shot with a 3 gallon batch. What OG should I be trying to hit to get this thing to dry out? Thanks.

Mine stalled out at 1.050 and I couldn't get it any lower, even after adding 2 more packets of wine/champagne yeast. I guess the 10% ABV won't allow any more yeast to live in there.

It's WAAAYYY too sweet but hoping the flavor may mellow out in a couple months.

Champagne yeast should certainly be able to handle more than 10% alcohol. I used lalvin 1118 in mine. I'm thinking I may shoot for 1.090 this time to start. I think that's where jack Keller recommends starting fruit wines.

I had a 2.5 gallon batch stall out at 1.080, I diluted with water down to 1.050 and pitched a packed of rehydrated EC-1118 and got it down to .095. It isn't clearing now however. Going to rack to 2ndary in a few days with some stabilizer, any suggestions for clarifying agents?

OClairBrew said:
I never bother stirring, once it's done fermenting everything will drop to the bottom.

In my 1 gallon test batch I didn't push the cap down. It dried on top and wouldn't sink. Just my experience.

If I were to substitute the 6 cups of white sugar with a proper amount of honey, would this turn into a mead?
I bought everything to make this wine a while ago but had no time. I came into some honey and would like to try to do my first mead.

This is looking... good...?

I made my own pulp by blending up fresh mangoes, we'll see how it goes

IMG_1991.jpg

If I were to substitute the 6 cups of white sugar with a proper amount of honey, would this turn into a mead?
I bought everything to make this wine a while ago but had no time. I came into some honey and would like to try to do my first mead.

To make a mead you would have about 3 pounds honey per gallon only no cane sugar added. The EC-1118 yeast should dry it out nicely. If you do try to make a mead of this be sure to add yeast nutrient (Go-Ferm for the yeast and Fermaid K for the must are recommended). Honey has next to no nutrients in it so yeast need to have some nutrients to multiply during the lag phase.

A lot of you guys are having trouble fully fermenting this mango wine. You are complaining that you can't get fermentation to start, you have slow fermentation or your fermentation gets stuck with your gravity at 1.020 to 1.050. I think what's happening is that your making it real hard on your yeast to ferment the sugars. The problem seems to be too much acid. Test the PH level, if your pH is under 3.5 the yeast will not perform well, if it's under 2.5 your fermentation will stop. In such cases add calcium carbonate (not sodium carbonate)1/2 teaspoon at a time with stirring to raise the pH to at least 3.8. Test the pH until you get above 3.8. Don't add any acid blend until fermentation is completely finished and then only add acid to taste. Make it easy for your yeast to ferment the must and you'll have good fermentation. Adding acid reduces the potential for good fermentation so just add any acid blend after fermentation is completed.

I just bought a 6 pack of mango pulp for $12.99 at the local Indian grocer! This will be one of the cheapest wines I've made (after banana wine). I hope it tastes as good as I envision.

A mango pulp melomel sounds fantastic!

Maybe i'll do this in a 1 gallon test batch..

^^^^LMAO
I followed this recipe except I used 6# of honey, NO sugar. And only 4 cans of the mango pulp in a 4 gallon batch. The SG was around 1.080 and turned out to 11%. I lost 1 gallon due to the pulp on the bottom. Now it's been aging for 3 months in a 3 gallon carboy.

image-565183348.jpg

I tried throwing together this recipe tonight, but I'm a bit concerned because of my OG reading of 1.160. I did a 6 gallon batch, so I multiplied everything in the 1 gallon batch by 6. It looked like this:

8 cups water 3 gallons
30 oz can of Mango Pulp* 6 cans
6 cups white*sugar 36 cups
1.5 tsp acid blend 9 tsp
½ tsp pectic enzyme 3 tsp
1 tsp yeast nutrient 6 tsp
1/4 tsp wine tannin 1.5 tsp
1 packet Red Star “Champagne” yeast

I was about a half cup of sugar short, so I added 1/3 cup of clover honey. Is this what threw the reading off, or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help.

I tried throwing together this recipe tonight, but I'm a bit concerned because of my OG reading of 1.160. I did a 6 gallon batch, so I multiplied everything in the 1 gallon batch by 6. It looked like this:

8 cups water 3 gallons
30 oz can of Mango Pulp* 6 cans
6 cups white*sugar 36 cups
1.5 tsp acid blend 9 tsp
½ tsp pectic enzyme 3 tsp
1 tsp yeast nutrient 6 tsp
1/4 tsp wine tannin 1.5 tsp
1 packet Red Star “Champagne” yeast

I was about a half cup of sugar short, so I added 1/3 cup of clover honey. Is this what threw the reading off, or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help.

You're not going to get a correct OG reading because the pulp is in solution. The pulp will help hold the hydrometer higher than it otherwise would be. Don't be concerned. You're still on track for a good result. The honey at 1/3 cup probably didn't add much appreciable sugar to the mix at all, hardy a few points. Relax, you'll have a killer Mango Wine soon enough.

What has everyone topped off with after racking this stuff? I'm about to start my first batch and would imagine there will be a large amount of sediment right before the first racking. Probably just top off with water?

I started out with 4 gallons in a primary bucket. I then racked into a 5 gallon glass carboy for 2nd fermentation, I didn't disturb it as I didn't want air to re enter and fill the co2 head space. Once it was clear I racked it to a 3 gallon class carboy for aging, it was filled up to the bottom of neck. I lost about 1 gallon from pulp and racking, and i used nothing to top up.

It's now been just over 3 weeks since I've made my 6 gallon batch. I ended up using Lalvin ec-1118 champagne yeast instead of the Red Star. Fermentation was vigorous for the first two weeks, but has now almost completely stopped. Is this normal? This is what my batch is looking like:

aTJfh45.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Has anyone tried this with mango nectar? I recently bought some from Costco thinking if it doesn't taste good I'll just ferment it! Well it is waaay too sweet to drink so it's wine time.

If no one has, I might just use the regular recipe then top off with this.

Shenanigan said:
Has anyone tried this with mango nectar? I recently bought some from Costco thinking if it doesn't taste good I'll just ferment it! Well it is waaay too sweet to drink so it's wine time.

If no one has, I might just use the regular recipe then top off with this.

Bueller???

Back