Just wondering...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi74

Reaction score
As anybody ever used concentrated o.j to back sweeten wine before? I would like to know if it turned out the way they planned or it turned their wine to sewer water...

Seems like it would start the clearing process all over again. I've never done it but that was my first though.

I once used "pulp free" and had to use SuperKleer or Isinglass because the OJ concentrate clouded the wine & it would not clear.
I will not do this again and in the future will either:

1. Freeze prepared, ready to drink, OJ in a cylinder shape and allow it to drip thaw while resting in a large screened funnel--use the concentrated juice to backsweeten, have to monitor because you want to leave a hunk of ice behind. But I still suspect this will cloud the wine.

2. Make a simple syrup loaded with orange peel (no pith). Actually have 2 quart jars in my refrigerator that are filled with this simple syrup and candied peels. I cut the peel into narrow strips and placed them in the sugar + water as I am making the simple syrup, actually added 1 cup more water than normal but allowed the mixture to barely simmer on stove until that additional cup had evaporated. The result, an intensely citrus flavored simple syrup. I use the strips in baking, in beverages for all ages and have even dried some for snacking on.

Back