First Attempt!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisdaman77

Reaction score
I am attempting to build a recipe from items I have left over and hanging around. I am going for a porter style and want to incorporate maple syrup. The whole maple syrup idea has to do with a very good friend who make the syrup. So basically I can get as much as I need. He handed me a gallon last night to get me started. I know he is not a huge fan of darker beers but with the incorporation of the maple I am hoping to increase his taste in the porter. I have plugged in what I have so far into BS and am in range with everything so far. Where I am stumped is with the hops, yeast (thinking s-06) and how much maple to use. Here is what I have so far. The LME is actually Muntons Extra Light and Light. If I remember right these were the ones to use when I ask BS. Unable to find the email from them to be sure. The SRM for each is very close.

8.0 oz Black Malt - 2-Row (Briess) (500.0 SRM) Grain 1 6.4 %
8.0 oz Chocolate 6-Row (Briess) (350.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.4 %
4.0 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.2 %
3 lbs 4.8 oz LME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Extract 4 42.0 %
3 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 5 42.0 %

For hops use Fuggles or Kent Golding. I brewed one with Mt Hood as a bittering hop and it came out pretty good.
Maple maybe 1/2 cup if it's for 5 gal. S-06 ? I don't think this one exists. I think u want S-04 or lager yeast cause that how originally porters were brewed.

You are right. I had the WB-06 on my mind. I was going to do a wheat version but since I have all of this other stuff I changed my mind. Half a cup of the maple syrup? I can't see that being anywhere near enough, but I could be wrong too.

Ok so here is where I have ended.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Chocolate 6-Row (Briess) (350.0 SRM) Grain 1 4.7 %
4.0 oz Black Malt - 2-Row (Briess) (500.0 SRM) Grain 2 2.4 %
4.0 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.4 %
3 lbs 4.8 oz LME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Extract 4 31.1 %
3 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 5 31.1 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 11.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 7 10.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 4.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 9 -
3 lbs Maple Syrup (35.0 SRM) Sugar 10 28.3 %

I know it does seem like a lot. Like I mentioned this has to have a distinct maple flavor. I am planning on having this sit for a couple months (not sure if it will happen) so from everything I have read the maple will somewhat die out. I do agree on the hops.

I will definitely do that. I am planning on doing this on Thursday on my day off. Just need to get the hops and yeast.

Maybe add some oats to bring the body back to porter range as the maple syrup will make it lighter, although maybe thats a good thing given your friends taste.

On a side note I'd like to try something like:

8lbs Pils
2lbs Maple Syrup
Belgian Yeast + Simple Hop Bill

Back