so many hops...so little time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpyfer22

Reaction score
I have acquired a few different varieties of hops and am going to be brewing a Red IPA. The hop varieties that I have are Citra 15.3%, Organic Centennial 6.3%, Chinook 13%. I have 2oz of each in whole form. I will also be getting some Columbus, Cluster, and Cascades in the next kit I'm buying. I'm wondering what some tasty hop combos would be with all these different varieties. I'm using DME and the specialty grains are caramunich, crystal 120L, and special B which should give me a nice body with some good red color to it.

My original idea was along the lines of
5.5gal boil
1oz Chinook 60mins
1oz Cenn/Citra 20mins
1oz Cenn/Citra 10mins
1oz Cenn/Citra 0mins
Dry hop 1.5oz Chinnok/Citra/Cenn

But that didn't quite sound like enough flavor/aroma for me (I put hops in my cereal). IBUs were around 55
what I would like as far as flavor/aroma goes, I'm looking for a citrus/fruit/floral profile with a piney background. Should I use the Chinook as the bittering hop, or put some of that Citra in there too? Chinook in any late additions? What about those Columbus/Cluster/Cascades?I have never used Columbus or Cluster before. I think I've got nearly all the "C's" to chose from here, so any ideas?. Any and all thoughts are much appreciated! Cheers

I would go for it....

Brew the same thing with a different HOPS next week.

Taste and compare...

DPB

I like that idea, still trying to get the rhythm down from primary, to secondary, to bottle so I can be steadily brewing. Still kind of new to this, but getting better with every batch. Cheers!

I wouldn't waste Citra's for bittering. Maybe reduce the 60 min addition to .5 oz, then add to the flavor and aroma additions to get your IBUs back to 55. Up the dry hop by another oz. That will have solid hop flavor and aroma.

Picked up another oz of Centennial for the dry hop, and also grabbed a couple oz of Simcoe(couldn't help myself). So ill drop the 60min to .5oz Chinook. Then maybe add a 5min addition of Simcoe?? Should add a little more of that pine flavor I'm looking for, but might get "muddy". Thoughts

60min .5oz Chinook
20min 1oz Cen/Citra
10min 1oz Cen/Citra
5min 1oz Simcoe
0min. 1oz Cen/Citra
Dry Hop .5oz Citra 1oz Simcoe 1.5oz Centennial

So I have once again revised my hop schedule. With an est. OG at 1.064, I came up with ~68 ibus

60min .5oz Chinook 29ibu
20min 1oz Citra 22ibu
10min 1oz Centennial 9ibu
5min 1oz Simcoe 8ibu
0min 1oz Centennial
Dry hop 1oz Citra 1oz Centennial 1oz Simcoe

I think that sounds like it will end up very tasty and hoppy indeed. I figure 20min Citra for some of that nice tropical/citrus fruit flavor, nice floral/citrus from the Centennial at 10 and 0min, and bring in that nice piney quality from the 5min Simcoe. I have never used Simcoe or Citra before and I'm pretty excited about it! Cheers

That looks good! You'll get a nice, fruity, citrus flavor from those Citras. I've done Citra/Cascade (heavy on the Citra) with great results, I'm going to try Simcoe with the Citra next myself.

Back