How did you convince yourself to take time to learn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMerkle

Reaction score
With only one extract batch completed, an extract with specialty grains conditioning, and a partial mash fermenting, I am DYING to brew an all grain batch. It just seems like a waste to move forward without learning what I can from each previous batch. When you guys started, how did you convince yourselves to take the time to learn from your own mistakes and successes?

Not much convincing...more curiosity to learn how it all works and make the best beer possible. If I'm going to invest time and $$ in brewing, it darn well better taste good!

First Batch in 1992, started again (big-time) in 2000, and went All-Grain in 2011.

Before I just "SWAGGED" my brewing but now I "even" write things down.

I:

1. Research and develop my recipes to include Mashing Schedule.
  2. I write down the basic info about the style with the recipie IBU, SRM, ABV, OG, and SG
  3. When I brew I write down what "really" happened... Times, Temps, and Hop Additions.

Each time I brew I try to concentrate on the science and learn a new skill.

• Grain Selection
  • Yeast Selection
  • Mashing
  • Measuring
  • Fermenting
  • Boiling
  • Cooling
  • Hop Additions

So before it was "sort of" a hobby; now it really is a hobby...

Just like guys that do model railroads, wood working, rebuild cars and other stuff that actually requires SKILL!

Think of it this way::: Hobbies usually require skills and activities do not…

SO watching Football on the weekend is not a hobby…

#1. Can you make a decent extract beer? Cool. Move to #2.
#2. Can you make a decent mini-mash beer? Cool. Move to #3.
#3. Can you make a decent all-grain beer w. single step? Cool. Move to #4.
#4. Can you make a decent all-grain beer with multi step? Cool. You win beer making. Now go make a lambic.

Kind of like walking before running.

With only one extract batch completed, an extract with specialty grains conditioning, and a partial mash fermenting, I am DYING to brew an all grain batch. It just seems like a waste to move forward without learning what I can from each previous batch. When you guys started, how did you convince yourselves to take the time to learn from your own mistakes and successes?

I think you're really asking how to be patient while waiting for the results from your previous brews to give you feedback. I say just move on to your next brew if you're ready. Keep good records/notes and you'll still get valuable experience from each brew. You might screw up consecutive batches doing this, (I did) so maybe that possibility will convince you to slow down. But if not, Brew on!

I started with extract to get my process down and once I felt comfortable with that I decided to go all grain.

I say go all grain, there isn't much in terms of difficulty and you will be fine.

#1. Can you make a decent extract beer? Cool. Move to #2.
#2. Can you make a decent mini-mash beer? Cool. Move to #3.
#3. Can you make a decent all-grain beer w. single step? Cool. Move to #4.
#4. Can you make a decent all-grain beer with multi step? Cool. You win beer making. Now go make a lambic.

Kind of like walking before running.

My next "adventure beer" will be Berliner Weise...

Just did my first Kolsch to include the lagering (nice beer).

HA! Love it. Nicely done.

I guess I got it backwards though...I'm making sours and wild ales with partial mash & extract recipes!

Thanks for the encouragement guys! My first batch had only one major off-flavor. I identified that and learned from it. My specialty grain pale ale is carbing now, and the bit I snuck out was delicious. My partial mash Two Hearted Clone is still a bit harsh, but it's only a week old. It's happily dry hopping in secondary now. I've been encouraged to step to all grain so my next batch will be just that. Now I just wish I could talk myself into doing something a bit smaller on my first all grain, but the whole reason I started brewing was to make my own Belgian Strong Dark. Go big or go home, right? :drunk:

Decades of experience with other aspects of life taught me that a little research and practice will payoff big. Even seemingly simple things, like when you put a new blade on your circular saw, make a few practice cuts in cheap wood before cutting the expensive stuff.

If making a good belgian dark strong is your goal, I'd get at least 3-4 AG batches under my belt. That's going to be a huge grainbill too, so plan on a 10G mastun being maxed out with all that grain.

Lastly, Belgian Dark Strong Ale's are typically aged. I've got one ageing as we speak. The same recipe was aged 4 years before Jamil won a gold medal for it, so you'll want to make sure you're investing that kind of time in a good beer and not an experiment. As always, my $.02 is worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Just go for it. I skipped extract and went straight to all grain. To your original question "How did you convince yourself to take time to learn?" More like how do I convince myself to get off HBT and get back to work.

How did you convince yourself to take time to learn?

Easy.....I didn't have no freak'n SEARCH button or HBT forum to run to if I was having a panic attack over no bubbles in my airlock.

I had the Complete Joy and Zymurgy to thumb through - and I got all the learning I needed right there.

Don't get me wrong...I love HBT and all the great information to be had.
I just remember a time when people "took time to learn" instead of looking for instant gratification in panic laden threads.

I think you're really asking how to be patient while waiting for the results from your previous brews to give you feedback. I say just move on to your next brew if you're ready. Keep good records/notes and you'll still get valuable experience from each brew. You might screw up consecutive batches doing this, (I did) so maybe that possibility will convince you to slow down. But if not, Brew on!

Looks like one person gleaned your real question. I wholly concur with his answer.

I spent copious hours on this website, gearing up for all grain. I think my first AG batch was about my 15th attempt? I used DeathBrewer's fantastic tutorial, and it came out very good in the end.

Now I'm close to 50 batches under my belt, and while I like AG for the inexpensive cost, I normally do partial mashing (or steeping grains with extract) to save on time. Plus, I find that without proper water chemistry, all grain isn't always better - i'd rather use spring/distilled water with a proper water report.

Yea, I've taken careful notes of every step with each batch, and I continue to do so. I sneak taste samples at every opportunity and so far I've been very happy with my work. My only mistake (so far) was what I believe to have been an overcarbing issue. Easy fix.

Made one batch of canned extract and it tasted like dirt, made a partial mash from deathbrewers dunkelweizen and it was awesome, then brewed all-grain from then on and have never made one that didn't taste fantastic. All-grain makes the best beer, its cheap (after you recoup equipment cost), and you can play around more with different things.

Easy. When I make a "good, but could be better" beer, I tell myself "I still have stuff to learn so I can make this better."

When I brew a great beer, I tell myself "Damn- I'm pretty good at this. I bet I can make it even better!"

Brewing is one of those things where you never stop learning. I learn something with every batch I brew, as I'm sure most of us do. We're all chasing that "perfect beer," knowing we might never brew it, but that it'll be a lot of fun trying.

My trick is to learn to perfect each aspect as you go one at a time, don't rush into some crazy new AG recipe and don't experiment with strange ingredients until you understand the basics of each part of brewing a consistently good tasting beer!

When you guys started, how did you convince yourselves to take the time to learn from your own mistakes and successes?

From my initial reading of homebrewing experience, it never seemed like an easy task/hobby. Not to mention there is so much unreliable information out there; it's best to take it as a general guide and then finding out on your own how to brew--making mistakes and learning from them.

I have at the most brewed one batch a week, for up to three batches at once. I use Google docs (it's called drive now) and the calendar to keep track of the recipes used, fermenting/bottling schedules, and to keep notes such as mash temps, specific gravity tests, fermentation temperatures, and anything different that could be useful to remember when tasting the finished beer and reviewing the process. I don't know how else anyone could keep track of this stuff, but I could not learn without at least a minimal amount of tracking (which also helps me remember the experiences).

My third brew was an all grain. I don't find all grain to be difficult or requiring expensive equipment, just a lot more time consuming and generally cumbersome. I don't make my own recipes, I use existing ones. I will start my own recipes naturally when I know enough to do it without much effort--learning to brew doesn't mean learning to make recipes. I recently started reading the BYO style profiles which is enlightening though.

The hardest challenge while learning is doing various styles at once, because the grains and hops give different effects, and yeast strains behave different ways. But doing the same beer over and over is too boring. I actually always do the same beer twice in a row (most of them come out better the first time--again my notes reveal my faults).

Last night I popped a beer that was done conditioning, and it tasted nearly excellent which was a first for me, though it was probably due to a forgiving yeast and adjuncts (it was a top heavy wit). I think it was by 12th batch. Maybe in another six months I'll get mostly repeatable, reliably 'excellent beer' across a few styles (perhaps I am too optimistic and that's ok).

I can't help but to learn from my mistakes but at the same time I have to remember not to get angry with myself if the beer doesn't get better right away, I have to keep trying something new and asking for help.

I guess that if a person starts with more expensive equipment, they will get better results and will have less to learn (at least right away). But I'm happy with my equipment for now.

So, the general consensus is to keep brewing as often as one feels comfortable brewing. I like the idea that, with good notes, I can overlap beers. Should I run into major errors, it will never be too late to learn from them.

I'm a DIY kind of guy and I also have a passion for cooking. Beer just seemed to be the next logical step in my lifeline of hobbies and I'm happy I decided to give it a whirl. The simple act of self gratification makes me want to learn as much as I can about this craft. The possibilities are endless, it can be passed down from one generation to another, and feels great to have someone either complement me on my beer or to hand a friend a beer and say "Here, I made this."
Before this thread I never really thought about having to learn because I simply wanted to learn. Learning is fun when making beer. If I really screw one up I just say "oh well, lets figure out what went wrong" and give it another go. If I'm broke then I don't brew again until my wallet can support a new batch and the hobby is still there waiting for me. It also helps that just about every other homebrewer I've met is always nice and willing to talk beer; which is always fun.
Res ipsa Loquitur

I would advise against doing a strong beer because it requires longer fermentation and even aging, which requires additional patience and it takes up a fermenting vessel for longer than you might want. I would stick with beers under 1.060 OG so that in three weeks most likely they are ready to rack.

Also I like high ABV beer but it must taste excellent or it's not worth it. Low ABV beer doesn't have to taste as good and it finishes faster.

The baseline test is to drink one of your favorite commercial beers and then test your finished beer of the same style. It can be a bit discouraging but it works.

I'm not worried about tying up vessels, I came across a killer deal to get me started in brewing and now I've got more fermenters than I can afford to fill at once. I'll admit to some level of impatience, but not so much in the "OMG OMG I wanna drink my beer" sense, as in the "I want to see how it turned out so I can make it better" way. Plus, I've got almost 11 gallons nearly ready to drink... that should tide me over :cross:

Nice! You just inspired me!

My second and fourth batches were a dubbel, and I suffered much impatience then.... But I think I could handle it better today! :rockin:

I try to add one new thing each time I brew a batch. I learn as much about the intricacies of what I'm adding as possible. Hopefully each time I brew I'm a little smarter than the last time. Hopefully my beer improves a little as well.

I did this route:

• extract kit
  • partial mash kit
  • all grain kit
  • all grain recipes found online
  • built keezer and started kegging
  • got a grain mill
  • got a stirplate and did starters
  • started culturing yeast on slants
  • got new Al pots with thermometers, sight glasses, valves.
  • built a fermentation chamber
  • bought a refractometer
  • bought an O2 wand
  • started messing with my water chemistry

So far I've seen improvements with every upgrade. The grain mill and the fermentation chamber were the ones that resulted in the biggest improvements, but the water chemistry seems to be paying off as well.

I'm a DIY guy. I made my own CNC milling machine, self taught myself aluminum anodizing, and enjoy restoring classic cars to concourse condition. I love cooking, and I love beer, so Brewing was a natural next step for me.
Science + cooking + learning something new is what finally inspired me... that and my wife bought me a Mr. beer for Fathers day.
Mr. Beer turned out pretty good.
Extract wheaten ale turned out even better.
Bought some cornys and a co2 bottle, and kegged my cherry ale.
Considering an all grain, but I'm not ready yet... but soon.
Yeah, I'm hooked.

To be honest, it's been a fairly slow process for me*. I'm about five completed brews in, with #6 (a mocktoberfest) going into the bottles next week. It's taken about that long to get past the clear and obvious mistakes and into the nitty gritty troubleshooting. Like, I know what I botched on beers 1-4, but, after #5 (which I felt really good about) showed some of the same characteristics, I finally sat down to research what the hell I was tasting and how the hell to fix it.

After spending entirely too much time digging through the boards, I realized it was probably my fermentation temps. So, I set #6 in the basement (~69*F), and got the materials together to make a Swamp Cooler for #7 (Yooper's Anchor Steam Clone, which I'm brewing over Labor Day weekend).

Here's to hoping #6 is better than #5, and #7 is better than them all. :mug:

*I've technically been brewing for three years, but there was a 18-month hiatus smack in the middle when SWMBO and I had our daughter :). Brews 1-3 were before, and 4-6 after.

I brewed one and decided that my equipment was not near where I wanted it, and spent about a year building up my equipment. Sometimes I wonder if my true hobby lies in brewing or building a brewery. Lol. Recently, I decided that I was much closer to where I wanted to be and a brewed a pale ale extract kit which seems error free but lifeless :( I hopped right back in with a partial mash Two Hearted Clone which is dryhopping now. I think it's going to turn out nice, it's just VERY cloudy.

Sometimes I wonder if my true hobby lies in brewing or building a brewery.

In my small universe, these two break out about 50/50. The test question may be "When I lie awake thinking about my hobby, am I thinking about how to improve my gear or am I thinking about how to improve my beer?"

Both types seem to be perfectly comfortable in this hobby, and, of course, it's a false dichotomy. It's not an either/or, but a continuum from one extreme to the other.

Latest posts

Back