jalapeno beer - primary fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninkasi2012

Reaction score
i'm making a jalapeno beer. i've read online that people put the jalapenos right into the primary fermenter. the recipe says to put them in at the 50 minute boil and don't put them in the fermenter.

would there be any benefit of putting them in the fermenter? i won't be transferring this into 2ndary because right after i brew i'm away for 2 weeks.

could i put it in the primary for 2 weeks??? or just filter them out beforehand?

Why not do a secondary when you get back? Nothing wrong with letting it sit in primary for two weeks. I would suggest using them in the boil per the recipe, and maybe throwing some into secondary when you get back.

What's the base beer?

I normally do 2 weeks primary and 2 weeks in bottle. How long would I keep in secondary ?

The base is pilsner (belgium) and very little munich and aromatic. Was just using up some ingredients I had around.

How long would I keep in secondary ?

Depends on how peppery you want the final product! I would taste it when you get back after it's been in primary for two weeks. If the pepper flavor is where you want it, don't mess with doing a secondary. But if you are seeking more heat/flavor/aroma, then throw a sanitized handful in to your secondary vessel and rack on top of it. Taste it again after a few days and see where it's at.

Keep me posted on the results. I'm looking to do a jalapeno cream ale or porter come harvest time. :mug:

I would include them in the boil. Mexican cooks float chiles in soups and broths all the time.

Raw jalapeno in the carboy will give you very little character and heat... mostly vegetalness.

Back