Bulk grain storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need three for a 55 lb sack but each bucket isn't filled to the brim. I don't think you can cram 50 lbs in two 5 gallon buckets...

cram said:
I need three for a 55 lb sack but each bucket isn't filled to the brim. I don't think you can cram 50 lbs in two 5 gallon buckets...

You can, but just barely. 55lb sacks have some overflow though.

Not surprisingly, 5.5 gallon buckets will just fit a 55lb sack between two of them. And they're much easier to find than 7gal buckets.

Do you think two 6 gallon buckets will contain a 50 lb sack? I planned on getting six 6 gallon buckets and gamma lids to store three 50 lb sacks (2 row, marris otter, pilsner).

I use 30 gallon open top steel drums I get from work.I store mine in the basement and my wife is paranoid about mice so, I need airtight nonchewable containers.
Also I can get a 50# sack and my mill and accessories inside.

drum.jpg

So I was cleaning today and found an old piece of paper with some math from when I was researching and figuring out how much space I would need for grain. I had determined (can't remember how) that a pound of grain took up ~46.2 inches cubed. I also calculated a gallon as we know it to be ~231 cubic inches. Which is how I came up with about 5 lbs per US Gallon. for a 50 lb sack you would need a little over 2300 cubic inches to hold 50 lbs of grain Variables to this include moisture content, grain size and type etc. But its a rough estimate that works fairly well. I also have seen people leave them in the bags in a steel trash can and be fine. Those drums BigSally posted are great, but a little too much for my use

chemman14 said:
Do you think two 6 gallon buckets will contain a 50 lb sack? I planned on getting six 6 gallon buckets and gamma lids to store three 50 lb sacks (2 row, marris otter, pilsner).

Yes. Two 5gal buckets can just barely hold 50lb sacks, but not 55lb ones. Two 5.5gal buckets can just barely hold 55lb sacks, and so 6gal will have no problem.

So I was cleaning today and found an old piece of paper with some math from when I was researching and figuring out how much space I would need for grain. I had determined (can't remember how) that a pound of grain took up ~46.2 inches cubed. I also calculated a gallon as we know it to be ~231 cubic inches. Which is how I came up with about 5 lbs per US Gallon. for a 50 lb sack you would need a little over 2300 cubic inches to hold 50 lbs of grain Variables to this include moisture content, grain size and type etc. But its a rough estimate that works fairly well. I also have seen people leave them in the bags in a steel trash can and be fine. Those drums BigSally posted are great, but a little too much for my use

Yeah I love the buckets because they are stackable. I found them for 114 shipped for 6 buckets and 6 gamma lids

i use buckets i got for free from local bakery, 6gal in size nice lid and food grade, 2 buckets hold 55lbs of grain with no problem

chemman14 said:
Yeah I love the buckets because they are stackable. I found them for 114 shipped for 6 buckets and 6 gamma lids

The gamma lids are very solid too, and are built to perfectly accommodate the bottom of a standard bucket, making them damn good for stacking... very strong and very stable.

That price actually seems kind of steep to me, though.

emjay said:
The gamma lids are very solid too, and are built to perfectly accommodate the bottom of a standard bucket, making them damn good for stacking... very strong and very stable.

That price actually seems kind of steep to me, though.

That's what I thought. I haven't purchased it for that reason. I found 6 of the gamma lids on amazon for $55 shipped. Should those be cheaper? The 114 number was from one company buying both the buckets and the lids. Seems to be that shipping is the main expense.

chemman14 said:
That's what I thought. I haven't purchased it for that reason. I found 6 of the gamma lids on amazon for $55 shipped. Should those be cheaper? The 114 number was from one company buying both the buckets and the lids. Seems to be that shipping is the main expense.

I would try to find the buckets locally. If you're lucky, you can even find them for free. That should significantly reduce the price.

Keep in mind these buckets don't need to be immaculate like fermenting buckets do - as long as they aren't dirty or you can clean them, they're good. Should probably still stick with HDPE or PET though (LDPE is very oxygen-permeable). If all else fails, get them at Home Depot - the lids will work on any standard bucket with a 12" diameter rim (like the Homer ones).

I bought a gamma lid at Home Depot for like $6 or $7 bucks? Def think you over paid for 6 there....

The Orange Home Depot buckets work well and are air tight. Takes two buckets per bag 55lb bag and you done and worry free. I got 6 buckets and lids for around $25.00.

The Orange Home Depot buckets work well and are air tight. Takes two buckets per bag 55lb bag and you done and worry free. I got 6 buckets and lids for around $25.00.

So you confirm that 2 5 gal buckets will fit 55 lbs? So many conflicting reports haha

I can just barely get 25lbs. into a 5g. bucket. If you're worried about slight overflow get some ziplock freezer bags and fill one (10# capacity in the large bags) with your overflow. Put it in fridge or somewhere sealed from mice.

is bad to store your grain in the bag it comes in?

i know storing green coffee is a delicate process - lots of volatile flavors and aromatics to be lost. is grain the same way?

bkl63 said:

The orange homer buckets are not food safe. If you use these, use a food safe liner or keep the grains in the bag.

copyright1997 said:
The orange homer buckets are not food safe. If you use these, use a food safe liner or keep the grains in the bag.

Replying to my own post, the Walmart white paint buckets by encore plastics are food safe, these are $2.97 each at my local Wally world. I personally use used food safe buckets I get from my local co-op for $1 minus my member discount. Only hassle is I need to clean out the Agave syrup or Tahinni.

I have (2) 55 lb bags of 2 Row and (1) 55lb bag of Wheat in 6 buckets. I have since used some of the 2 Row but I got a complete bag into (2) 5 gallon buckets of the Wheat and of the 2 Row.

So you confirm that 2 5 gal buckets will fit 55 lbs? So many conflicting reports haha

Also at the same time, you are buying grain to brew not to store. If people are having problems, buckets are around $4.00 with a lid, also what might not fit from a bag in 2 buckets would probably less than a 5 gallon batch of Brew.

That is up for interpretation. HDPE is used everywhere for food storage. The buckets were not made to be used for food but paint and decorating and when Leaktight says that they are not food safe, they are more of less protecting themselves with that answer.

Home Depot/Menards buckets are made with the same High Density Polyethylene as Ale Pails. Just because they don't undergo "food safe" certification or some such BS doesn't convince me they're not food safe. I've fermented in them before with no ill effects.

If just storing dry grain in a bucket, I don't see the concern over being food safe. I sure wouldn't put a warm liquid in such a bucket though.

tre9er said:
Yep. Home Depot/Menards buckets are HDPE 2. Same as ale pails. That's why I've fermented in them, run off wort in them, etc.

HDPE #2 does not mean it is food safe.

I am not trying to get in a pissing contest with anyone, you can do whatever you want. Just because you've done it and it didn't taste weird doesn't mean there aren't long term effects with prolonged exposure.

Google is your friend, do some research about the use of recycled plastics. One issue is that the sourcing is frequently unknown.

To me, I don't understand the never ending threads where people talk about using orange homer buckets when you can get known good stuff for LESS money.

The buckets I have seen don't have the rubber gasket like the HD buckets do which is why many people like them.

To me, I don't understand the never ending threads where people talk about using orange homer buckets when you can get known good stuff for LESS money.

Because people already have Homer buckets and want to convince themselves they're safe. That's my guess at least. Or, we frequent HD far more than Walmart, so HomerBuckets are "easier" to pick up.

I've seen enough dissenting, or at least questionable, information on them to avoid them for food usage.

Where on Earth can one source a 5g bucket for LESS than $2.50 each?

I paid $31 for two ale pails shipped to me with lids and airlocks and that beat LHBS by almost $10...I've looked. Can't find new food-grade buckets anywhere close to 5g home improvement pails. I may ask the bakeries for frosting buckets, but again, not new.

chemman14 said:
HD sells white food grade 5 gal buckets

Yeah, we have those in Canada too but I wasn't sure about the US.

Either way, I can't imagine it really mattering for dry grain storage unless the plastic is emitting serious VOCs, which you should be able to detect.

For storing a wet (and acidic, at that) food product like wort or beer though, I'd be a bit more careful.

Also at the same time, you are buying grain to brew not to store. If people are having problems, buckets are around $4.00 with a lid, also what might not fit from a bag in 2 buckets would probably less than a 5 gallon batch of Brew.

Duh how could I not think about it this way. The bags stay sealed until I need to use that grain, then into the buckets it goes. :confused: :mug:
Also checked out home depot today and it is about half the price :)

The buckets I have seen don't have the rubber gasket like the HD buckets do which is why many people like them.
So, buy the LID at HD, it's not touching the grain.
Where on Earth can one source a 5g bucket for LESS than $2.50 each?

I paid $31 for two ale pails shipped to me with lids and airlocks and that beat LHBS by almost $10...I've looked. Can't find new food-grade buckets anywhere close to 5g home improvement pails. I may ask the bakeries for frosting buckets, but again, not new.
Walmart sells WHITE paint buckets, Encore plastics is the manufacturer, for $2.97. Not quite $2.50, but close enough. Here's a link to a discussion on them: http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/food-grade-buckets-walmart/. I just looked, and my HD sells the Orange homer bucket for $2.60, so now we are talking .37 more for a known good bucket.

Again, I've gotten most of my buckets from a local food co-op, for $.76 (+ tax) each. That's a lot cheaper than the HOMER buckets (but like you say, they are "used").
HD sells white food grade 5 gal buckets
Yes, and these cost MORE. Looking at the HD site for my store, it shows the leaktite white buckets costing $3.98 each.

Again, you can also store in the bag, or get mylar (or similar) food-grade linings.

I'm not a big survivor nut, but looking at some of those online groups does educate you on food storage. Just sayin.

But to those using homer buckets, have fun...just don't trade beers with me. :mug:

I use 30 gallon open top steel drums I get from work.I store mine in the basement and my wife is paranoid about mice so, I need airtight nonchewable containers.
Also I can get a 50# sack and my mill and accessories inside.

I have my grain in the same type from work. Mine have a cam lock lid with seal. I keep the grains in bags though, as the barrels held potassium permanganate. They are cleaned, but still easier to just grab the bags and pour.

Back