looking for most cost-effective way to get at least 7% alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm starting with pearled barley in about a half gallon of water, boiled for an hour. then i add flour while boiling and mix it up. then i add amylase enzyme at about 150 degrees. then i bring it to room temperature. then i add wine yeast. then i add about 6 spoonfuls of confectioner sugar in warmed water. once everything comes to room temperature, i add a cup of yeast that has been activated in water mixed with 3 spoons of confectioner sugar.

it takes about 2 weeks to ferment. it doesn't come out strong enough. i'd like to end up with at least 7% alcohol. my intention is to accomplish this using the least costly materials.

advice?

If you just want alcohol, table sugar is the cheapest. Just dump several cups in there. Now if you want something that is actually drinkable.... you are going to have to stop cutting corners and use real ingredients.

The most cost effective way is to buy Everclear and dilute it to 7% then mix it in something to make it drinkable...those ingredients won't work well with wine yeast.

fjmiller11 said:
i'm starting with pearled barley in about a half gallon of water, boiled for an hour. then i add flour while boiling and mix it up. then i add amylase enzyme at about 150 degrees. then i bring it to room temperature. then i add wine yeast. then i add about 6 spoonfuls of confectioner sugar in warmed water. once everything comes to room temperature, i add a cup of yeast that has been activated in water mixed with 3 spoons of confectioner sugar.

it takes about 2 weeks to ferment. it doesn't come out strong enough. i'd like to end up with at least 7% alcohol. my intention is to accomplish this using the least costly materials.

advice?

Attempting to make beer from the least costly materials is going to equal crap in drink ability. The big brewers are going to be a godsend compared to the dropping sugar in and expecting anything remotely close to tasting good.

If you are going to do this your looking at about 1.5 ish pounds of sugar for a gallon. But seriously you might as well search the brew supply websites for kit beers an go that way. You can find some that equate to $25 a case for a 5 gallon batch which is about .50 a 12oz beer. An it's drinkable.

Buy a 50 lb bag of 2 row barley, if you look around you can get it fairly cheap. Do some research, google BIAB. I can make 2 cases of a simple good ale or amber beer for around $10-$12. You can reuse your yeast, do the research. You can grow your own hops.

there are a lot of cheaper ways to get drunk than homebrewing.

Buy a 50 lb bag of 2 row barley, if you look around you can get it fairly cheap. Do some research, google BIAB. I can make 2 cases of a simple good ale or amber beer for around $10-$12. You can reuse your yeast, do the research. You can grow your own hops.

plus 1 and 2 LOL

Read the first post and am glad to see I wasnt the only one with a Tim Allen Sasquatch sound going in my head afterwords...

What the?!?!?! Is that what you can sneak away from your moms pantry? Confectioners sugar? Stay out of your moms baking supplies.

Don't skimp. Your best bet is a basic recipe or kit, and then maybe add a pound of sugar to up the ABV by 1%. It will be thinner but should be drinkable. Most home brews are already fairly strong. If you just wanna get drunk, by a handle of hard alcohol.

Are you looking to drink this or just make it to say you could? Usually when there is a post like this, and it's someone's 4th post ever . . . almost never passes the sniff test. But to give you the benefit of the doubt:

Those ingredients are all wrong - confectioner's sugar has corn starch, use regular sugar instead. I would use Montrachet champagne yeast, it's one of the cheapest I'm able to find, and it's dry. Instead of spending money on amylase enzyme, buy yeast nutrient so you have a shot at fermenting table sugar and maybe a little juice for at least a touch of flavor.

Or dilute Everclear.

buy apple juice and brewers yeast and sugar. Mix it together and stand back.... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back