Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to this thread I've been wet shaving for a while. I have to say, other than when traveling (I'm generally a carry on only guy) I won't go back to the zillion blade face tearers. So far my favorite blade is a derby in a fatboy set to 5.

It's still available even if I buy a brand new Merkur Vision, right? :D

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa,

Stick with something lighter to start. I have a Merkur Futur and it is a beast. My hand actually gets tired holding it to shave. It does a superb job but, it is not my favorite tool of my small collection of 4.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa,

Stick with something lighter to start. I have a Merkur Futur and it is a beast. My hand actually gets tired holding it to shave. It does a superb job but, it is not my favorite tool of my small collection of 4.

It was a joke... I'm not paying that much for a starter razor haha

Thanks to this thread I've been wet shaving for a while. I have to say, other than when traveling (I'm generally a carry on only guy) I won't go back to the zillion blade face tearers. So far my favorite blade is a derby in a fatboy set to 5.

have you tried other blades in that fatboy? and have you gone beyond 5? i'm still breaking in my slim, but find that anything below 7 is a little too mild for me (but as they would say on B&B, YMMV).

Super Speed is here. 4th quarter 1953 model. Proraso and Col Conk Bay Rum arrived as well. Just waiting on my brush. Pictures don't look as good as it does in person. About 30 minutes of an OxyClean Free soak and a 10 minute boil. I'm pumped to give this a try.

I see what people mean by they are smaller than you'd think.

image-860028861.jpg

image-1487842932.jpg

image-2721613861.jpg

image-1534406987.jpg

The first thing I thought when my first one arrived was "this thing is tiny!"

I hope you have a good experience on your first shave, remember, it is your first time shaving like this, so give it a chance if things start a little rough..

I now understand why it is the size it is, nicely balanced and manuverable in your hand, any bigger and it would be cumbersome, not to mention the face fillets you could peel off with the leverage a long handle can provide.

I now understand why it is the size it is, nicely balanced and manuverable in your hand, any bigger and it would be cumbersome, not to mention the face fillets you could peel off with the leverage a long handle can provide.

Face fillets... nice verbiage there, lol. It is one thing you learn early on with straights too... leverage, angle and tension when done right are a wonderful thing... wrong and man do those little cuts bleed. :p

So I'm guessing that, on those mornings where you wake up still drunk, you're probably best foregoing - or at least delaying - the shave?

Why are these things called safety razors, exactly?

This thread makes me think of Second City TV version of Floyd the Barber but I could not find a clip. Funny.

emjay said:
So I'm guessing that, on those mornings where you wake up still drunk, you're probably best foregoing - or at least delaying - the shave?

Prior to safety razors, it was practically a sword capable of cutting your own head off with that you brought to your face and neck on a regular basis.

I'm guessing they were safer than these, which came before them...
AtlanticCutleryCo02.jpg

I shave pretty much whenever I need too though I think shaving impaired would have some pretty nasty consequences. I know I didn't close the door one morning and got a cold dog nose to the crotch while shaving once... damn near took my ear off. :p

Definitely not before my first shave. Can't have a member of the club bleed to death on his first shave. Gotta get that one out of the way.

you won't bleed that much... I hope you bought a steptic pencil or matches :) You will bleed some (more than likely) but not that much. Just take your time and don't pull the rzor around like you would a cartridge razor. Let the razor do its thing. :)

So, my new silvertip brush came on my birthday (thanks to android for the free homemade sampler pack of blades) and I have everything I need to give this a shot.

What blade to try first?

CVS, Perma-Sharp Super, Astra Superior Platinum, Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum, Blue Bird, or Derby Extra Super Stainless

Close your eyes and pick a blade. :) Everyone has their own favorite. Use it 3 or 4 times then use the same one again 3 or 4 times then switch to a different brand. :)

(The only ones out of your sampler I have tried are the Astra SP's and that is my primary blade so take that for what you will.)

So, my new silvertip brush came on my birthday (thanks to android for the free homemade sampler pack of blades) and I have everything I need to give this a shot.

What blade to try first?

CVS, Perma-Sharp Super, Astra Superior Platinum, Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum, Blue Bird, or Derby Extra Super Stainless

like john said, totally up to you, but i would consider trying a bluebird, CVS, derby, or Astra first just to get familiar with the process. the other ones, IMHO, have a greater chance of giving you a good nick in the first few shaves. not that the first ones i mentioned shave bad or anything, they are just more forgiving.

btw, hope that brush works out for ya! there's a million different ways to lather with a brush, but i would recommend soaking it in warm water while you shower, give it a few good shakes before hitting the cream or soap, and don't be afraid to dig in when you are lathering up.

Sweet. I think I'll give the CVS or Derby blades a go first since I have 10 and 5 of those respectively. The others are mostly single blades.

I think one of the more important aspects to a good shave with any razor, let alone a safety razor, is face prep. Make sure that you let your face sit on a hot cloth for at least 5 minutes. As hot as you can in order to soften the hairs and help glide across softer skin. Believe me even when doing that I can use a Feather blade without too much bleeding.

Careful around the chin, upper lip and adams apple (well at least for me) are sometimes problem areas. I've used pure coconut oil before applying my lather to help provide a barrier and it does help (I think it even softens the hairs a little more too).

Don't try to take off too much in one pass, especially if your hair is longer, it'll clog the razor up. Short strokes are the best, just like the video's on youtube show.

The one thing that I love, but is not needed, is a scuttle. Basically you poor hot water into a bowl and then there's another bowl on top of it that you put your puck or cream into. It's like heaven... honestly... warm lather is the best (wow that sounds wrong). But I don't really have one, closest thing I got is floating my bowl in the hot sink rinse water :) But the premise is the same.

I think one of the more important aspects to a good shave with any razor, let alone a safety razor, is face prep. Make sure that you let your face sit on a hot cloth for at least 5 minutes. As hot as you can in order to soften the hairs and help glide across softer skin. Believe me even when doing that I can use a Feather blade without too much bleeding.

Careful around the chin, upper lip and adams apple (well at least for me) are sometimes problem areas. I've used pure coconut oil before applying my lather to help provide a barrier and it does help (I think it even softens the hairs a little more too).

Don't try to take off too much in one pass, especially if your hair is longer, it'll clog the razor up. Short strokes are the best, just like the video's on youtube show.

The one thing that I love, but is not needed, is a scuttle. Basically you poor hot water into a bowl and then there's another bowl on top of it that you put your puck or cream into. It's like heaven... honestly... warm lather is the best (wow that sounds wrong). But I don't really have one, closest thing I got is floating my bowl in the hot sink rinse water :) But the premise is the same.

Coffee mug warmers work too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002P9XTNO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing I thought when my first one arrived was "this thing is tiny!"

Yup, my first thought too.

I lied. I snatches up a '67 Slim Adjustable last night. I'd like to compare it to a Fatboy.

I have been trying to get an adjustable. How much was it?

+1 except 5 minutes is way more than is needed. A good lather on the face, rub it in with your fingers, then a hot towel right over it for a few minutes.

I spent $40 on a '61 fatboy without case but it is in great shape, no plating loss, numbers still had some ink...

It shaves well and the $4 included shipping... If I were more patient prices may have dropped or I could have found one for less if I would have been more patient but I wanted it now ;)

That's a shave! The brush/lather in a hot mug was heavenly. I tried a Derby and Proraso after a shower.

I followed up with some CO Bigelow aftershave balm that came in a set and some Nivea stuff about 30 minutes later.

Minor bleeding, but I needed to slow down a bit and focus on the shave. It wasn't the razor angle or being careless, might have been the blade. The worst was where I really felt some tugging and pulling.

It's one of the closest shaves I've ever had. We'll see how it goes for ingrowns and irritation.

Good for you take it slow and focus on your technique. Nothing like a sloppy shave or a sink full of blood to turn someone off of shaving the old fashioned way, lol. A single blade with few passes is tons better for sensitive skin and ingrowns than pretty much all of the commercial stuff. I'm betting you will like the results.

TomSD said:
Good for you take it slow and focus on your technique. Nothing like a sloppy shave or a sink full of blood to turn someone off of shaving the old fashioned way, lol. A single blade with few passes is tons better for sensitive skin and ingrowns than pretty much all of the commercial stuff. I'm betting you will like the results.

I'm definitely in. I enjoyed the brush and warm lather so much that I'm looking forward to the next shave. I also really want to see how my skin responds to shaving again tomorrow.

I find the first shave with a new blade is sorta rough, then the next ones are much smoother.

It's like the first shave knocks the burrs off the blade, so the second shave starts with a broken in blade maybe??

Any one else notice that here?

I'm definitely in. I enjoyed the brush and warm lather so much that I'm looking forward to the next shave. I also really want to see how my skin responds to shaving again tomorrow.

I said you would enjoy it! Smoothe shave huh??

After getting used to a DE you will realize that the fancy new razors are nothing but marketing crap that people buy into.

azscoob said:
I follow up my shaves with a splash of witch hazel, to soothe any nicks and to keep my skin in good shape.

I meant to do that, but forgot. I'm at a campground for the weekend seeing a couple of my sister's field hockey games and the witch hazel was in my bag rather than on the sink.

Latest posts

Back