Keep the Cascades? Or go all Calypso?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewWhat

Reaction score
Like the title said...

IPA 6-11
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Brewer: Darrell
Boil Size: 6.97 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: 34 qt enamel pot and 10 gal Igloo cooler
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.76 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.90 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 120L (Briess) (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) (28.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
1.00 oz Calypso [12.80 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 41.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (20 min) Hops 11.2 IBU
1.00 oz Calypso [12.80 %] (20 min) Hops 22.7 IBU
1.00 oz Calypso [12.80 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.25 tsp Servomyces (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.079 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.025 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.06 %
Bitterness: 75.2 IBU
Est Color: 12.7 SRM Color:

Mash Profile
My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 18.13 qt of water at 169.4 to get temp of F 157.0 F

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.6

Created with BeerSmith

I would not do all calypso personally unless you are trying to understand the hop. Which might be a good experiment.

I have not used it but isn't it supposed to give of lemon, pear, and ESP apple flavors?

I like the grapefruit that cascade gives off. I think calypso sounds great mixed in with others for depth. Or using them in a farmhouse ale.

I have a pale ale going now with Columbus as the bittering and calypso as the aroma/flavor/dry hop. I'll let you know how it goes.

what the hell is a calypso hop

Description from the Hops Direct Web Page.

"Calypso Pellet Hop

Alpha Acid 12.0%
Dual Purpose Hop
Pleasant, fruity aroma, with hints of pear and apple
Typical Brewing Styles: Ales, Stouts and Barley Wines"

There's a thread dedicated to calypso a few months old now; a quick search should turn it up. (I'd link it myself, but I'm on the mobile app.) To answer the original post, I'd use calypso for bittering and maybe some flavor, but not the only one of the latter. Add some cascade :)

I did an IPA with calypso as the late hops and it was very earthy. The apple and pear references did not stick out immediately. Some green apple flavors, but not at all overpowering. I think a calypso IPA makes for an interesting beer... Not something you would find on the shelves at least.

Last night I tried my first bottle of an all Calypso IPA I brewed in early May. Its quite good. It was dry-hopped for 6 days, so the nose stands out, and carries the pomme aromas that are described with this hop. It has a pretty dynamic flavor profile as well. Fruity up front and in the middle - mostly tropical fruits but some of the apple sneaks in. The finish is (at least this early on) very bitter. Not metallic, like Cascade can be, but somewhere between pine and grapefruit zest.

Sounds great!

I just bottled my Calypso IPA last weekend, so it needs another few days before it's ready. I'll be sure to report back. Can't wait.

Thanks for the update!

I talked to a guy at Austin Homebrew about his experiences and his feedback was it's great in combination, but he wasn't really feeling it on its own in an IPA.

I'd second that feedback, myself. I've been using the remainder of my Calypso for bittering in my last few batches. I may make another IPA with it to give it another swing, but it'll be in conjunction with a few others at the very least.

Back