Tripel/Stalled ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apreswho

Reaction score
I brewed a Tripel some 5 or so weeks ago now, OG was 1.09, Whitelabs Belgian Yeast. Left it in the primary about a week, and its been in the secondary for about a month...checked the gravity on it today and the SG is only at 1.044, which is about a 51% apparent attenuation. Is there anything i should do to get the fermentation moving along or just leave it alone and wait it out?

I'm sure someone can give you a better answer, but here's what I'd do. If you're not already fermenting at the high end of the yeast's comfort zone, try warming it up a bit. Simplest solution first. Then try rousing the yeast somehow. Like swirl it around, or sanitize something and give the bottom a couple stirs. Easy does it, this isn't a regulation maneuver, strictly speaking.

Then maybe you want to repitch, if all else fails. But I'm also not sure how much more you'll get. Just out of curiosity, what was your estimated FG?

You should have checked the gravity before racking to the secondary. One week is never enough in the primary for a beer with a gravity of 1.090. Six weeks may not be enough.

Anyways, you have some yeast left in the beer but probably not enough. I would make up a starter and repitch.

yea i was a bit worried i had racked to the secondary too soon. at the time fermentation had appeared to have slowed very considerably but upon moving to the secondary it picked up again. I pitched a half pack of just nuetral nottingham yeast i had lying around just to hopefully get things going again, also gave it a little swirl. any other suggestions?

Warming it up and swirling a few times a day (when you wake up, when you get home from work and when you go to bed) should help.

When I first read this I didn't realize how recently you brewed this. I'd just leave it alone now. It's probably just fine.

Did you make a starter for this brew? Which Belgian yeast strain did you use? Stirring would only be effective if you got a big drop in temperature and the yeast dropped out earlier than expected. For some Belgian yeast strains, if this happens then it is extremely difficult to get them active again. Also, adding dry yeast to an already partially fermented brew is typically not very effective unless you had a high amount of simple sugars present.

I did not use a starter, i used whitelabs 550...the temp has been very consistent so maybe its just quite slow...i may add some sugar if you think this would help. Im a bit stuck as far as what may have happened...im starting to think i may be too anxious to drink it and im just not giving it the time it needs :)

Yeah it sounds like you stalled your big beer by racking it off the yeast best able to finish the job, and now the third string, least attenuative yeast can't handle it.

You could try raising the temps, but like I said, you more than likely have the weakest yeast trying to do it....I would consider adding more yeast, and leaving it alone for a few more weeks.

And in the future, especially with bigger beers, don't rack to a secondary until fermentation is complete.

Revvy is totally right. But this is one of those situations where you can really mess things up trying to fix it. I'd wait. Like a week. If nothing has changed, then start worrying. Maybe repitch then. I bet its just going really slow.

I did not use a starter, i used whitelabs 550...the temp has been very consistent so maybe its just quite slow...i may add some sugar if you think this would help. Im a bit stuck as far as what may have happened...im starting to think i may be too anxious to drink it and im just not giving it the time it needs :)

I would say the main issue here is that you didn't make a starter for this batch. For an OG of 1.09, you need about 300 billion cells. At 100% viability you have about 100 billion cells in your white labs tube. However, realistically you would not have yeast that are 100% viable. Let's say you had 80% viability or 80 billion cells then that means you have to have signficant growth for that occur (80 billion to 300 billion). Therefore, there just wasn't enough healthy yeast present to do the job. I would have to disagree with Revvy here in that the issue wasn't transferring, the issue was that there wasn't enough yeast present to get the job done in the first place.

If it has already been 5+ weeks then I don't see how letting it sit longer will do anymore than what has already been done. I only see three options here: 1) pitch an alcohol tolerant yeast starter (small volume at high krausen) or 2) pitch a lager yeast starter (small volume at high krausen) or 3) make another beer then rack it and pitch it on the yeast cake.

I would have to disagree with Revvy here in that the issue wasn't transferring, the issue was that there wasn't enough yeast present to get the job done in the first place.

+1

Whenever I brew a high gravity beer, I always make sure my yeast are up to the task of converting those sugars. This means making a starter. Some brewers have gotten away with no starter by pitching 2 (or more) vials of yeast but your best best is to always grow more yeast in a starter of appropriate size before expecting them to do a big job. I've had WLP500 take my high gravity wort to ABV 14% because I made sure I pitched the correct sized starter.

I would say the main issue here is that you didn't make a starter for this batch. For an OG of 1.09, you need about 300 billion cells. At 100% viability you have about 100 billion cells in your white labs tube. However, realistically you would not have yeast that are 100% viable. Let's say you had 80% viability or 80 billion cells then that means you have to have signficant growth for that occur (80 billion to 300 billion). Therefore, there just wasn't enough healthy yeast present to do the job. I would have to disagree with Revvy here in that the issue wasn't transferring, the issue was that there wasn't enough yeast present to get the job done in the first place.

If it has already been 5+ weeks then I don't see how letting it sit longer will do anymore than what has already been done. I only see three options here: 1) pitch an alcohol tolerant yeast starter (small volume at high krausen) or 2) pitch a lager yeast starter (small volume at high krausen) or 3) make another beer then rack it and pitch it on the yeast cake.

But at the time I posted he hadn't yet said he didn't make a starter. But taking it off what little yeast he had did compound an already precarious situation....so we're both right.

Revvy said:
But at the time I posted he hadn't yet said he didn't make a starter. But taking it off what little yeast he had did compound an already precarious situation....so we're both right.

True, no need to transfer in this case.

Thanks for all the help. I'm still fairly new to the homebrew game and im learning a lot every time i brew. Yeast is certainly a very uncertain topic for me, and just through this thread alone i've learned quite a bit about the value of a starter. I'm just going to wait a bit and see what happens, if my SG doesnt change, i'll make a starter of another high gravity belgian yeast and pitch. Seem about right to everyone?

so quick update....The SG has not changed since i've started the thread, so apparently i need to repitch...now when doing this, how much of a fermentable should I use? the same amount for priming? or what do you think? Also wondering, do i need to switch carboys to leave this now old yeast behind and sort of start fresh with new yeast? will this change my expected FG at all? sorry for the barrage of questions, but im at a loss here! Thanks again in advance for all of your help and knowlege!

Don't give up on this yeast...I JUST posted this a few minutes ago!!! I would pick up another smack of this same yeast, pitch into a starter, and pitch it into the same carboy when it reaches high krauesen (little layer of brown bubbles and scum on top) then let it go. You probably stalled out the last batch with too low a temp after too small an initial pitch. Keep this in the upper 60's to start and don't be afraid to let it go up into the high 70's, low 80's. If your place gets colder than that then put a little space heater nearby. Don't let the temps swing more than a few degrees...these Belgians are picky but they'll work their asses off if happy!!!

Good Luck and welcome to your new obsession :mug:

Back