How much grain do I actually need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmk6

Reaction score
Hi all, fast question. I have always brewed from kits, and now I am trying some of my own ideas. How much grain do I actually get for a 5 gallon brew?

:mug:

Usually anywhere from 9 to 14 pounds of grain depending on the style of beer.

My Haus Pale Ale uses 10.5 pounds for example.

Check out and download Promash (trial version),
You can play with various combos of grains, adjuncts and hops.

It will really give you great ideas (especially when you try inputting recepies and substitute ingredients listed with those you have access to)>

Cheers

Software is the best way for newbies to make up their own recipes. I bought some and it was a ton of help.

Look at some of the recipes here... I have used from 7lbs to 14 myself... 7lbs will make a good session beer.... my stout utilized 14...

Pol

Excellent. Thanks. I will give that software a try..that looks like it is going to be lots of fun.....

Thanks....

Like all have said aready around 9 pounds of base grain plus any specialty gain should give you a noraml gravity beer (around 5%ABV). This is always been a good place for me to start then make ajustments from there on the next batch.

Back