Golden Honey Lager "recipe"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GameReaper88

Reaction score
Im still using Mr. Beer for now, they gave me two canisters.

The Mr. Beer brewing vessel has a 2 gallon capacity btw.

Anyways, I want to make a Honey Lager since its wintertime and sounds like a good idea.

I think the recipe can go something like this:

1 Canister Cowboy Golden Lager
1 Pouch Booster
2 Cups Clover Honey.
:drunk:
Sound alright?

Also, I use filtered water (filtered with my Brita pitcher) Ive heard mention of brewing salts, how important are they?

Also, do I use Raw, crystallized, Pasteurized, strained, ultra filtered, ultra sonicated, whipped, or dried Honey?
What grade? A, B, C?

Don't worry about the salts. ALso, to make better beer, don't use the yeast that comes with the kit. Buy some saflager S-23. you will need to keep the temp in the 50's for this to work. Adding two cups of honey without omitting some of the corn sugar will boost your abv drastically and may make it hard for the yeast to work.

Is the corn sugar the "booster" they provide in the kit then?
I just really want to take a sip of this stuff and really taste the honey. I dont expect it to be like drinking candy but ive had some pretty dry "honey" beer.

Do I need to use the same quantity of yeast as Mr. Beer suggests to use in the normal process of making the lager or is there scaling for something like this?

The house usually sits around 62 F in the wintertime, is that too warm for this? I know that lagering requires a cooler temp then that but I thought that was only for the conditioning phase.

Yeah 62f is too warm, get a package of nottingham ale yeast by danstar and ferment it at 62F. I highyl doubt the yeast that came with the Mr. Beer pack is true lager yeast anyway. Yes, booster is just corn sugar. Omit the booster and use ~1.5 times the weight in honey. The thing with honey is that it is highly fermentable, so it tends to dry out beers. However, corn sugar does the same thing so the body of the finished product should be similar. Just don't boil the honey for very long, 5 mins max and you'll get good honey flavor. It seems like you are ready for some experimenting and maybe are ready to move on from Mr. Beer.

That makes me happy to hear, since it is only my second beer.

Ill take all that into consideration, I could store it in my parents basement which does stay in the low 50's.

Also since I wont be using the corn sugar for brewing should I use it for bottling, or should/could I use honey for that as well?

Honey does NOT make beer taste sweet, or much like honey at all. Since honey is pure sugar, the yeast ferment it out completely, leaving the beer slightly drier than normal. If you want a sweet honey flavor, you should try adding "honey malt", which is a crystal malt that adds some sweetness and a nice honey aroma & taste.

Back