Plugging Existing Drain on Cooler MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapa

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered, but its hard to find anything that isn't related to actually using the existing drain. I bought an Ice Cube cooler, and the drain was located on the back side, at a 45 degree angle. I didn't think this would be an ideal position for my ball valve, so I just made a new drain on the front of the cooler.

My question is, what is the best way to PLUG the existing drain, so I don't get a bunch of crap stuck in there? I planned on buying some silicone to seal/insulate the cooler wall where I installed the new drain, so could I also use the silicone to also fill the old drain, or is there a better alternative? Thanks.

Yes, the original assembly was angled down about 45 degrees on the back of the cooler. Just didn't seem ideal. I already made a new drain on the front, I just want to seal or plug the old drain, so it doesn't get anything stuck in it.

I guess the question was "what's wrong with the original drain's method of closure?". In other words, whatever the original designed used to keep icewater from pouring out is probably fine to keep the wort in also.

In my humble opinion anything that you plug the old drain with has the capability of collecting debris. So for the sake of simplicity I'd just keep the OEM plug assembly installed and use the new one as you wish for the manifold. It's only your MLT and a good rinse or soak is all the cleaning you need to do.

Good points here. I suppose I don't need to plug it, it does hold heat/wort just fine, I just noticed there was some leftover after brewday that I didn't get rinsed out, in the old drain. I guess there is really no reason to plug it, as long as it just gets cleaned out really good afterwards.

Thanks for the responses. If anyone does have any other possible suggestions, I would be open to them, but I'll stick with what I have for now.

Just open the old drain come cleaning time. I don't think you'll get any more suggestions, this one is a no brain solution. Why make a hole to plug when it's already plugged:confused:

I king of wanted to plug it from the inside as well, as the drain is kind of deep compared to others, and allows quite a bit of fluid into it. No biggie though. The cooler itself works much better than my old one, so I really don't have any compaints. :)

Back