Smoked IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewpastor said:
mmmmm, bacon. Are you truely sparging or doing that Batch thing? Have fun on behalf of all of us who are working today!

Sparging means rinsing. Batch sparging is still rinsing. (All though maybe slightly less efficient)

"Sparging is the process of rinsing the fermentable sugars from the mash and collecting wort for the boil."

Not sure where the "truly" bit comes in.

Enjoy your Brewing. I think It is almost as enjoyable as drinking the stuff. :mug:

Now I want a bacon Butty.

orfy said:
Sparging means rinsing. Batch sparging is still rinsing. (All though maybe slightly less efficient)

"Sparging is the process of rinsing the fermentable sugars from the mash and collecting wort for the boil."

Not sure where the "truly" bit comes in. quote]

Just a bit of an old joke, not meant to be taken too seriously, kind of in the vein of "I don't care if it is quicker and more effective, it isn't traditional so it must be evil."

Brewpastor said:
orfy said:

Not sure where the "truly" bit comes in. quote]

Just a bit of an old joke, not meant to be taken too seriously, kind of in the vein of "I don't care if it is quicker and more effective, it isn't traditional so it must be evil."

:mug:

Bit like the glass plastic thing.:D

We should all make the wort then wait for the wild yeast to start us off. :p

Dude said:
Holy fright I wish you guys could smell this.

Have you been tempted to eat the grain yet. I couldn't resist last time and had a spoon full. I couldn't wait for my first gravity check so I could drink the stuff. warm, sweet, sticky and oooooh so tasty.

I think I may go take a gravity reading now.

orfy said:
Have you been tempted to eat the grain yet. I couldn't resist last time and had a spoon full. I couldn't wait for my first gravity check so I could drink the stuff. warm, sweet, sticky and oooooh so tasty.

I think I may go take a gravity reading now.

Isn't that the truth?! I have a batch going now and I can't wait to get it on tap. I sample the gravity every day and it is tasting very nice.

This smoked grain thing is intriguing. I do like Lapsong Souchong (sp?) which is smoked tea (although they use pine I believe). It would be fun to experiment by smoking some grain in the future, I smoke lots of meats so the grains would be fun. Not for everyone (smoky beer that is), that is for sure. It would hold up really well to a nice steak huh?

Half hour into the boil and the Warrior hops are so strong I can hardly taste smoke in the wort.

BTW, I put the whole 6 pounds of smoked malt into the mash. All or nothing baby, all or nothing.

I think this is going to be a difficult beer to drink a lot of. However, after a few pints of the smoked porter you could barely notice the smoke anymore, so hopefully this is a good enough IPA to be quaffable in large amounts. Desertbrew, your recipe is under serious pressure here. ;)

orfy said:
Have you been tempted to eat the grain yet. I couldn't resist last time and had a spoon full.

The other night, my daughter (not quite two) came up to me with a bag of Crystal 10L and a pleading look in her eyes - "DADDY! I want to chew on some GRAIN!"

She absolutely *loves* eating malt. I figured, she'll be with her mom all day tomorrow, so what do I care about a little extra fiber? I had taken a great picture of her with a little bowl, eating some off her fingertips, but there wasn't a card in the camera at the time so I lost it.

the_bird said:
The other night, my daughter (not quite two) came up to me with a bag of Crystal 10L and a pleading look in her eyes - "DADDY! I want to chew on some GRAIN!"

She absolutely *loves* eating malt. I figured, she'll be with her mom all day tomorrow, so what do I care about a little extra fiber? I had taken a great picture of her with a little bowl, eating some off her fingertips, but there wasn't a card in the camera at the time so I lost it.

My daughter(5) loves eating grain. She's always excited when I come home from the LHBS with new varieties to try.

Chairman Cheyco said:
My daughter(5) loves eating grain. She's always excited when I come home from the LHBS with new varieties to try.

Oh yeah kids love the stuff. Heck to this day one of my favorite things is a malt.

I racked this tonight. Pretty good. First impression was not hoppy enough, but I think the carbonation will help that. The smokiness really comes through nicely. I detected a little phenols but I think that will mellow. The aroma was really yeasty and not a whole lot of smoke. I can't wait to get it on gas but I'm going to let it condition for a few weeks first. It is dry-hopping now as well.

Smoked beers are definately going to be house regulars around here. Took a sample of my smoked porter (used 2oz of peat, which I know you're not a huge fan of), and I think, as humbly as I ever am, that the smoke was just right - a touch of aroma, an additional component to the flavor, but not overwhelming. I have a hard time imagining how it will work in an IPA, but it's intriguing. Glad to hear your brew seems successful.

I finally "officially" have this on tap. It isn't carbed all the way yet, but I did taste it. Right now, the Cascade aroma pellet that I threw in is dominating the aroma, but the taste is pretty freaking awesome. Hint of smoke (I will do the whole grain bill smoked malt next time) and a solid IPA base. I'm not going to anoint this the second coming yet, but so good so far. I hope that Cascade mellows a bit.

Wow, wow, wow.

I'm drinking this smoked IPA and I have to say I think this is the beer I am most proud of since I started this hobby. It is so complex. It is getting better and better, too. The aroma is big time bacon...but you get sweet and hops in there too. Then the taste is highly smoky, with a finish of bitter. WOW.

I think it is almost gone though. :(

(sorry...I've got a little buzz going)

Back