Mead with malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insnekamkze86

Reaction score
Hello there i was thinking of making a mead with dark dried malt next time around. Has anyone made a batch of mead with malt before and how did it come out? Along with it would be 12 lbs of honey 6 wildflower and 6 orange honey and some heather tips.

Sure it was a good braggot? ;) Mine's only a month old and I am already having a hard time not drinking it. And I'm not one to typically like sweet stuff.

I made my own modification of the Hefty Braggot in the Schramm book and am definitely looking to make more braggots here pretty soon.

To the OP, if you might use it for something else, I'd skip using the orange blossom. It's a nice, light honey that would almost be wasted on a braggot. You can just use clover or wildflower really; the malt & hops are going to mask the delicacy of the orange blossom. Schramm recommended using a little bit of a strong honey, too, like buckwheat. Sounds interesting and I'd like to try it. I'm also anxious to try it with a bit of aroma hops, instead of just bittering hops. So many things to read about and try! (and wait for...)

i want a dark type of mead so what u think about using a mixture of Buckwheat, Tulip Poplar and wildflower honey. Like 5lbs of wildflower 5 buckwheat and 2lbs of tulip what you guys think of the mixture?

Never had tulip, but buckwheat will way overpower a mead. Most recipes it is a few ounces. If you want a darker mead though, caramelizing the honey is a good option.

I have a recipe here for Caramel Apple mead using crystal malt. Definitely not a braggot! Several people have made it and all have given good reviews.

I have a recipe here for Caramel Apple mead using crystal malt. Definitely not a braggot! Several people have made it and all have given good reviews.

I just went over and read this recipe. This is the beverage that dares to ask the question, "What if EdWort, Brandon O, and Joe Mattoli are all really the same person?" More like "Caramel Apfelbraggot Graffmeadwein" Whatever it is, I am going to have to try to recreate it soon...very soon. :D

Okay thank you iam going to be using heather tips and rose hips in my batch of mead. Do you have to steep those spices before adding them to the batch, or can i just put them in a cheese cloth bag and then put that into the batch of mead?
Also if i have to steep them how long do i steep them for?

I made a really nice braggot a few years back. Golden promise malt, orange blossom and a mixed honey, with hallertauer hops.

Primary about 2 weeks, secondary about 2 months then tertiary about 3 months and bottled. After it was about a year old total, it really started to taste good.

I would consider a braggot the extreme end of the spectrum for a person who likes honey brown ales.

I double fermented with ale yeast in the primary and white wine yeast in the secondary.

~r~

Thank you Summer for bringing up that recipe. I just pitched an apple/cinnamon cyser, but yours looks even tastier! I love carmel apples!! I get honey from a place that offers a fall honey that is dark like buckwheat and I think I may use that. Has anyone else here ever used the fall honey? It could be local to Michigan or the upper midwest, it is mainly from golden rod nectar.

Back