Safety question for you technical types

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I've been brewing on a Masterbuilt turkey fryer I got for Christmas last year. It takes awhile to heat 7 gallons to a full boil so I looked into it. I realized the pressure regulator attached to the LP tank is only 5psi. Does anybody see a problem with me buying a 10 or 20psi regulator and switching them out? Keep in mind I'm just talking about changing the regulator, not buying an entirely new burner/gas line/regulator. Any reason that the burner that came with the turkey fryer couldn't handle a 10 or 20psi reg?

It will *probably* be just fine, depending on the type of burner. If it's one of those simple cast ring burners, the flames will usually just blow out if you over-pressure it. Of course, that leaves gas flowing which is a concern, but you won't melt the burner or anything like that.

Well, there's two things to consider. First of all, I can't imagine NOT having a high pressure regulator coming off the tank. The second has to do with the orifice on the burner. I can't advise exactly, but it may need to be switched out also. I think it really has more to do with the type of gas you're using (natural or propane), but someone here could probably advise in detail.

Somehow I knew I should have posted a picture first. Here's the burner:

burner.jpg

Does that help?

EDIT: first picture I posted was GIANT

You can always dial down the regulator, I'd go 20. Maybe the flame blows out from full blast, but you can dial down until you get a good flame going. You're not going to hurt the cast iron burner.

-OCD

You'll be fine with a 20PSI regulator on that Burner. I would also consider modifying your stand to get the burner closer to pot. It looks like there is a lot of dead space in that picture.:mug:

I've been brewing on a Masterbuilt turkey fryer I got for Christmas last year. It takes awhile to heat 7 gallons to a full boil so I looked into it. I realized the pressure regulator attached to the LP tank is only 5psi. Does anybody see a problem with me buying a 10 or 20psi regulator and switching them out? Keep in mind I'm just talking about changing the regulator, not buying an entirely new burner/gas line/regulator. Any reason that the burner that came with the turkey fryer couldn't handle a 10 or 20psi reg?

You have a low pressure propane burner and a low pressure regulator. Usually the orifice has a bigger opening for a low pressure burner. Before I would go and use high pressure propane on this burner I would see if you could find the right size orifice for high pressure propane. I don't know what could happen if you used the burner with high pressure propane the way it is so I would not recommend it. If something went wrong and I recommended it, I would hate to be accountable. Guessing about this stuff can get people hurt or worse.

I have the same burner and it is a high pressure burner. The difference may very well be orifice size but I'm not certain. The proper burner height is with the last color flame tickling the pot. This allows best burn of both the fuel(propane) and the byproduct from the first color flame(CO). That may sound strange but CO will burn somewhat, it is still a carbon molecule. If the pot is too close to the flame you will get less BTU and more dangerous CO buildup. This was explained to me in length by someone many of us admire and has far more schooling and knowledge than I could ever want.

I used to have that same burner and swapped out a 10psi reg. for the original 5psi with no problem.

I've always been curious about this. I built my rig where I can raise or lower my burner. I've been happy so far, but wonder what moving it could possibly do. Is there a recommendation? Does it change according to BTU?

I just measured both of my burners(SQ14 & SP10) and both are about 3inches away from the bottom of the pot.

I have that same burner and just put a 20 psi regulator on it. No blow outs and it works really well. I used to have it really close to the kettle but just lowered it to get a better burn.

From the manufacturer:

Cast Iron Burner with 6" neck - This popular design high pressure propane cast iron burner also produces up to 160,000 BTU/hr of heat quietly and efficiently. The propane burner comes with an air shutter and a 3/8" flare fitting. The bolt at the bottom of the propane cast burner head is either 6mm or 1/4". An Insect Guard screen is available as an optional extra. Optimum working distance from top of cast to bottom of heated surface is 4 to 5". Diameter of burner head is 4". Height from base of cast to top of burner is 3". Distance from center of burner bolt at bottom of burner to air inlet at the edge of the cast is 6 5/8". Distance from bottom edge of cast burner head to air inlet at the edge of the cast is 4 1/2".

Back