Corny smells like rotten eggs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was supposed to rack from one to the other today to put on keg and leave last of sediment behind. For whatever reason the one I meant to use smells like rotten eggs. Any suggestions for cleaning it?

I am going to rack to secondary, then back to keg to clear up last of crap, so I'll be fine. But I need that corny for fermenting next week.

fill it with water and mix in 1-2 scoops of Oxiclean let it soak for a couple hours and some baking soda.

If it is still stinky, try...
1cup bleach and fill with hot water (Do NOT let it soak for more than an hour as long exposure to bleach is bad for Stainless

you are probably going to want to replace all of the orings also.

I agree with Arkador, baking soda does a great job.

Is this keg new to you?

I used this keg once to lager. Then when that was gone I emptied it, and it's been sitting empty sealed in basement for a while.

I have switched back to PBW and am confident in saying it is a far superior product. I always had problems with oxi doing a half ass job. PBW will spic and span that thing in an hour.

Also, replace you o-rings.

Jesus 2 scoops??? I use like 1/3 to 1/2 and thought that was too much.

I use some to clean my fermenter, more to clean my keg, and yet more to clean my brewpot...

I figure it costs me abnout $1/batch in oxiclean, and unlike PBW, I can use oxiclean for more than just cleaning my brew supplies.

Depending on the packaging the size of the oxyclean scoop may vary. Some packages have a scoop that is a couple tablespoons while others the scoop is about 1/2 cup. "Scoop" is not a ISO standard for volume measurement.

I put that skank thing in garage overnight and picked up oxyclean today. Oddly the smell was actually kind of gone, but I cleaned the keg anyways. Thanks for the advice chaps.

Back