Thermometer broke- which one should I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
I was using a glass floating thermometer for brewing and cheese making- I do extract brewing, partial boils and want to be able to mash the pound or two of grains I usually steep at the correct temp.

Of course, I dropped and broke my thermometer. Which I'm fine with, because the red wax inside holding the metal balls in place would quickly melt when I had it in temperatures above 150° or so.

So I need a new one, and am wondering what people would suggest. Can I use a meat thermometer with a good temperature range? Or will they not work in liquids? I'm fine with something that doesn't float as long as it reads fast enough.

Oh, and price is a factor (sadly).
For instance, would these work? http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Thermometer-Dual-Range-0-230F-0-110C--P6300C698.aspx

Just bought the CDN Pro Accurate.
Now if it will only come before my milk goes sour... not sure mozzarella would taste good with sour milk...

Thanks for your help!

Back