How long would you let it sit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmishAmbush

Reaction score
I am brewing a bock beer and the instructions say to bottle after 7 - 10 days and then let it sit for another 21 days. Is this about right or would you let it sit in the fermentor for longer than 7 - 10 days? I have been read some threads on the forums where others have let their beer sit in the fermentor for a month or so. Does it make a difference?

Dave

I am brewing a bock beer and the instructions say to bottle after 7 - 10 days and then let it sit for another 21 days. Is this about right or would you let it sit in the fermentor for longer than 7 - 10 days? I have been read some threads on the forums where others have let their beer sit in the fermentor for a month or so. Does it make a difference?

I'd give it 2-3 weeks, bottle, and let it sit for 5-6 weeks in the bottles.

I like to primary for one day per 10 grav pts. 1.040 beer = 10 days, 1.060 = 15 days etc. and then I rack straight to the keg where it is allowed to condition for one week per 10 gravity points before carbonation and tapping. This method earned me the quote in my sig. ;)

I am doing a Northern Bock kit now. I am giving it at least 10 days in the primary at 50* and then will transfer it to a secondary for 2 months at 35*. Then I will keg it and give it another month which would be the same procedure as bottling.

Sounds like the instructions you are reading are fairly generic. I'd leave it at least 2 full weeks in primary, 3 weeks if you don't plan to secondary. Once you bottle I would give it 30 days at a minimum but nothing says you can't sample a bottle here and there during that time.

If it is a true Bock, you might have some problems with your fermenting temperatures. A Bock is a lager, and lager yeasts like it aroudn 55F, give or take a few degrees. At your temperatures, you might wind up with very fruity Bock that has at least a touch of acetaldehyde.

TL

Tex is right, that is too high of a temperature for a lager. I think it is even too high for an ale which I try to keep at 70*.

I pitched my lager yeast at 60*, and then stuck it in the fridge at 50*. When I transfer from the primary to secondary, I am going to let it sit out for two nights at room temp and then put it at 35* for two months. Since this is my first lager, I asked and overall these are the temps suggested by people on this forum.

Okay. I didn't have a spare fridge to sit this fermenting bucket in so i went out and bought an igloo cooler that I could sit the bucket in. I also bought 10 small blue ice packs. I figured I could rotate 3 - 4 at a time to keep it in the proper temperature range.

ON another note. You would think the LHBS would let a first time brewer know that he was picking a style that would need to be kept at a cooler temperature. Ah well. they were busy that day.

Thanks for the help guys

Dave

My first beer was a Canned Muntons Bock with an Ale yeast that I fermented in the high 70's that turned out great. Don't get discouraged yet. Of course my next batch was a real non canned extracted that I fermented too hot and it's going to be sitting in the bottle for a while!

Back