Dont salt the beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimrod3388

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I observed an older gentlemen add salt to his bud light. First, I will put fruit in my beer to "enhance" flavor (Corona, lime). However, I dont understand adding a few dashes of salt to my brew like Emeril. Second, "Chill" brewed by I think Miller, is advertised to have this such salt taste. Whats wrong with more hops to the wort. Is the American palate so weak for more bitterness yet the tang of salt will suffice.

Excuse my rant, but I hope my homebrew cronies will agree!

I have seen my best friend add salt to a beer to create bubbles.
Nothing more.

I asked him why did he need to see bubbles, and he said all beer needs bubbles.

We shared a can of Caffreys (sp) tonight and he did it again. I can only shake my head.

My dad does this. But he's a die hard bud light drinker...so what does he know about beer?

Salt in a BMC beer is not that uncommon and probably makes it taste better. Salt is a flavor enhancer and it can add the illusion of body to a lighter beer and bring out more flavor. So salt up the Bud, but don't get that shaker near my homebrew Jimmy Buffett!

This is how my grandfather taught me how to drink beer. He always added a dash of salt to his Hamm's. In the video "The American Brew" there is a shot of a man, circa 1920's or 30's, adding salt to his beer. And NO, I don't do this now, very often anyways. I do get the craving every once in a while, especially when thinking of my grandfather. :mug:

In my neck of the woods, they will serve you a can of Tecate with a frosted glass that has a salted rim and a lime wedge. Mexicans love lime and salt with everything. - Dirk

Salt is used to enhance body and accent bitterness, i.e. Gosebier.
EDIT: HaHa, I posted a sec after olllllo!

I was always under the impression that the salt was used to take carbonation out of the beer, as well as a flavor enhancer. Since is causes so more bubbling it is releasing gas at a faster rate and therefore flattening the beer to make it easier to drink, or at least less filling.

Lime was originally used in Mexico because when they washed the bottles for re-use the acidity in the lime was only used to kill bacteria around the rim of the bottle
(their water is not so....um....clean) and not intended to be added to the beer. (I think people that don't really like beer made that up)

Me personally, I salt everything I eat....but never my beer!

Dad does this to every can (yes I said can) of beer he drinks. He also drinks nothing but Bush heavy and hates my homebrew.

olllllo said:
Gose has salt in it.

I think mine has a bit too much salt in it, but we'll see. With the sourness it doesn't taste salty, but it is definitely there. Definitely makes the beer interesting.

Well, at the risk of sounding, well, non-beer-snobbish (don't tell my wife) I have enjoyed several High Life's with a light rim of salt at the top of the neck. This isn't my first choice when thinking light (or crappy, if you will) but it will do in a pinch. (First choice for crappy: Kirksville Corona = Miller High Life with a lime)

These comments should be served with a grain of salt themselves. I am a bit of a beer snob (isn't everybody on this site, if only a little bit) who likes almost every beer style (with the exception of those Hefe's and most Steams.....) if done well.

~M~

When I go to Mexico to visit family (SWMBO's family) they always have Tecate and we always squeeze lime in it and a dash of salt. It's actually pretty good that way, but don't bring a salt shaker near me when I'm drinking anything else.

Actually salt will mellow out the bitterness. This is a major way that salt enhances other flavors, by reducing bitterness - it surpresses harsh flavors. Adding salt to a beer will bring out the malt flavors. The loss of carbonation that you also get will reduce the sharpness and enhance the malty flavor.

A great way to familiarize this affect of salt is test it with some tonic water (regular, not diet). First taste the tonic water, then take a good lick of some salt, and then taste the tonic water again. I guarantee that you will be surprised! There is as much sugar in regular tonic water as there is in a standard soda, but you don't notice it as much because of the bitterness of the quinine. The salt masks the quinine and it tastes like real sugary soda water.

I've done this many times with my students and they are always surprised. One of these days I'll have to try it with a fairly bitter beer as it should work there also. It is common knowledge that the more bitter a beer is the less you notice the malt flavors and vice versa. Maybe this is why salty snacks and beer are such a great combo. The salt smoothes out the flavors in the beer.

Iordz said:
Really!? I would be interested in trying that.

http://www.fourpeaks.com/moreBeers.asp

Gosebier (On Tap February 29, 2008) A cross-cultural constant is that water, whether it comes from the Colorado, the Ganges or the Seine, can just get so -- I don't know -- boring? That's why beer has been a favorite beverage since the heyday of Ancient Egypt, and why -- somewhere between then and now -- some creative beer drinkers in Liepzig and Goseler, Germany decided to add to the usual hops, barley, yeast and water two interesting ingredients: coriander and salt. The result was "Gosebier," which became hugely popular, especially in Liepzig. It also became popular to add different fruit and nut-flavored extractions to this tart, refreshing and somewhat acidic wheat beer. Raspberry and almond-flavored Gosebier joined the plain version at tables all over Germany, and there was much rejoicing. Unfortunately, Gosebier was literally knocked out of existence around the year 1516 with the amalgamation of Eastern Europe and the adoption of the German Purity Law, which demanded that beer only be brewed using variations on its four base ingredients. History seems to illustrate that even basic good beer can get boring, and eventually the desire for different flavors overtook the German purity law. Gosebier began to make a comeback. Just as this unique beer was regaining popularity, however, the Communist Party took over East Germany. People had a helluva lot more to worry about than, "what neat, fun ingredients we can throw into our bier now?" Four Peaks is glad to report that, since the dissolution of Communism in that part of the world, Gosebier has certainly made its comeback in Liepzig and even in Goseler -- and that it has finally arrived at our brewery. Brewmaster Andy Ingram -- who was the source for all of this information -- describes the Four Peaks Gosebier as a combination of a Belgian white beer (wittbier) and a Berliner wheat (weisse) beer. "The Gosebier is a wheat beer with a mild spiciness from coriander and a tartness from yeast and lactic acid," said Ingram. "It's refreshing. Many people can get turned off by the idea of adding salt," he said, "but in this case, the addition of salt in just the right quantity does what salt is supposed to do -- enhance the flavors of the beer and give it a big, round mouth-feel." The upcoming beer dinner in March will also feature the three different, traditional Gosebiers as part of the dessert course: raspberry, almond liquer-flavored and regular. Four Peaks Gosebier, which is on tap now at the brewery, weighs in at a light, drinkable 4% alc./vol. Ahh . . . just in time for Spring drinking. Prost!

I put a few grains of coarse ground salt in mine with a shot of lime juice. As stated, it takes some of the bitterness away and makes this homebrew I made drinkable.

It sure is hard to get them lime wedges out of the bottle though !

With a can, squeeze the lime juice & salt BEFORE opening the can, then you have a salt/lime topping and then insert the lime wedge. It sanitizes the top of the can too !!!

ftlstrings said:
Kirksville Corona = Miller High Life with a lime

My buddy calls this a "Faux-rona". He orders enough of them when he's out drinking that quite a few bartenders now recognize it by name.

If someone else wants to pour salt into their beer, then more power to them. Keep it the hell away from my glass, though. If I think a beer needs a little salt, I'll just brew it that way (and often do add a pinch of sodium chloride to my brewing water, as it's often there naturally).

TL

I was at the local watering hole the other night and saw a guy salt his beer. I haven't seen that since I was in college 40 years ago. We just did it back then well, because......... Mostly just watched the bubbles I guess.... I decided to search the site and see if there was any good reason for the practice. I'm not a hops fan but I can't try it out on $1.50 night on the IPA's because it is also kind of the unofficial home brewers night. :D

I admit it - I do it sometimes. Why? For me it's a summer time nostalgia thing. I used to get beers passed to me by my friend old man , always a Miller High Life, and he would drop a pinch of salt down the neck. I did it then, and now, when I think of the old guy ( he's dead and gone ) I pick up a sixer and salt'em.

Truth is, to me, it ain't bad. Have tried it with others, and Bud Light is fair with salt too. Coors not so much. I think it's a better with a skuny candidate beer thing. I dunno. Anyway, just one guys explanation ....

In my construction days, you lost so much sodium throughout a hot day, that we used to go to the American Legion and drink draft and salt it. The bartender knew if it was hot and my Dad or any of us boys ordered draft to bring a salt shaker. Only time I used to drink draft beer.

I am also among the salt and lime for Corona crowd. I'd drink bud light before corona if I didn't have salt.

As a kid I remember going to dinner with my Grandpa and he would add salt to his beer. I don't really remember why, but I do remember I thought it was way cool watching it bubble up. So if he left the table, I would add more salt just to watch the foam. Grandpa was not impressed with the extra tablespoon of salt in his beer when he came back. :drunk:

My Dad taught me to add a pinch of salt to a cup of coffee that may have been sitting in the pot too long at the gas station. It works, it takes out the bitter.

I wouldnt do this to my beer, because I like it bitter!

Whenever I drink Bud Light or corona (Tecate, Estrella, etc.) I salt and Lime it. In So Cal here it's definitely inspired by the mexican culture. I like it generally if I'm drinking out of a can. It's sort of a Summer thing. Good carne asada on the grill, and like 70 bud light cans and my in-laws... what can I say, it's a good time! And to me, the salt and lime add a little something to a generally bland beer (especially tecate!!!). It just is what it is...

Confession time - I made a Marris Otter / Williamette SMaSH a while back - kinda "meh" - ok, not a stunner. Drinking one now, and thinking of thie thread dropped in a pinch of salt.

Whattaya know - it's tasty.

So who knows - maybe different strokes for different folks.. ( and this is the last one of the bottles, and I will rebrew, but try a different hop next time. )

I drink dos equis special lager with salt and lime.. started doing it when I was served it this way on a very hot day on a beach in mexico. Its called a Chilada. A michilada has hot sauce added to the chilada. Something about the salt and lime makes it very refreshing. I can pound a sixer down in no time flat, out in the sun. you pay for it later, but while you are slamming beers in the sun it sure is fun :)

My uncle used to do this when he drank his old mill. Now that he has "graduated" up to miller highlife, he no longer salts his beer.

I love a dash of salt in pilsners! It is great for rounding out flavors. If you've not tried it, you should. I also like a lemon wedge with wheats, orange with Belgian whites, and lime with salt in Mexican brews -- the spice of life!

Pretzels, Potato chips, Peanuts, Pizza, etc.

Not exactly the same as putting salt in your beer, but the net result is salt in your mouth when you wash them down with beer. I think it would be safe to say that most of us enjoy these snacks with a beer.

Pretzels, Potato chips, Peanuts, Pizza, etc.

Not exactly the same as putting salt in your beer, but the net result is salt in your mouth when you wash them down with beer. I think it would be safe to say that most of us enjoy these snacks with a beer.

Spoken wisely. May the beer guides smile upon you.

Ive salted my Buds before. Havent done it in a long time as I not really presented with choice to have to drink it. But all in all, I dont mind it.

Back