Things a Homebrewer Thinks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight:

(BTW I own 13 corny kegs.)

"Phew! It's a good thing those two kegs both started spitting foam tonight, or I'd have to buy more kegs for the beers I'm brewing for my Oktoberfest party!"

Next up: "Hmm. With only this 6-tap keezer, I'm gonna have to start thinking about how I'm gonna serve the 7th or 8th beer I'll have kegged by then!"

(So what happened, did we homebrewers quit thinking? This thread kinda dried up for awhile.)

I was thinking of doing an overnight smoke on a brisket on Saturday night. Then I remembered that I wanted to get *1* more brew session in to have a session IPA ready for my Oktoberfest party... And with three kids (plus a few work events I have coming up), I can't ask my wife for another evening just for brewing.

Then it hit me -- if I'm going to be up overnight tending a smoker anyway, I can brew too!

Tell my fiancé that if I can have an all day brew fest, I would brew less in the following months. White lies are harmless, and home brew is delicious

Sure wish I was brewing and not canning lol

image-651366519.jpg

Eyeballing each store to see has the cheapest propane exchange. (so far, it's Dominics at $17.99)

When your propane tanks are all empty, and you think "dammit, all I want is a grilled burger..." but never curse the fact you used all the propane (even the backup tank because I'm a lazy sob) brewing.

Eyeballing each store to see has the cheapest propane exchange. (so far, it's Dominics at $17.99)

When your propane tanks are all empty, and you think "dammit, all I want is a grilled burger..." but never curse the fact you used all the propane (even the backup tank because I'm a lazy sob) brewing.

I've been using propane express, $20 flat, they come pick up the empty and leave a full tank. Lazy at whole new, and convenient level!

You got a tractor supply store or anything similar near by? You can get that tank refilled for ALOT cheaper.

I bought a second keg with its own regulator so that I would not have so many bottles.

I need to get the beer out of the keg and into bottles so that I can put another beer in the keg.

jhoneycutt said:
Found one similar to Tractor Supply called Agway? Never heard of it but google says they're similar... Maybe next time you're at a lowes or home depot ask...

The local uhaul here fills propane tanks. Charge by the pound.

When your at work starring at a barrel on top of a bucket and say to your self dam this is like the size of a keg/ ss pot and end up making plans for a brew stand with dimensions and how much material I will need

image-4083004240.jpg

image-3804505258.jpg

The local uhaul here fills propane tanks. Charge by the pound.

Some Do-It hardware stores also fill propane tanks. I now have three tanks the last two where free bees. I took them to Lowes for to exchange for a shiny new full tank and now just get them filled as I need them.
Payed $40 (after tax) to get them all filled last time or roughly $13 a pop.

They will also fill most any tank size so you can go with a #40 if you happen to brew often.

Some Do-It hardware stores also fill propane tanks. I now have three tanks the last two where free bees. I took them to Lowes for to exchange for a shiny new full tank and now just get them filled as I need them.

They will also fill most any tank size so you can go with a #40 if you happen to brew often.

If your work uses propane see if you can get your tanks refilled under their account. I love volume discount.

The Tractor Supply here fills for under $5.00

My local supplier fills for 8.99 but if i miss them and have to go to the hills have eyes gulf station I would have to pay like 16.99 if not more now I haven't gone there in a long time since finding my new place

Anticipating the moment when swmbo discovers that I just spent $90 on two beer kits at Austin Homebrew Supply...

"But honey...
Samuel Smith’s Nut Brown Ale
54 beers in a 5-gallon kit = $44.46
54 beers in 4-packs at Total Wine ($9.99) + tax and crv = $151.38
Savings = $106.92
and
Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen
54 beers in a 5-gallon kit = $45.96
54 beers in 6-packs at Total Wine ($9.99) + tax and crv = $102.82
Savings = $56.86
so
Total savings for both kits = $163.78 or 64%!"

Why does Austin homebrew send me emails for really cool stuff I want at discount prices right after I place an order

"VERY COOL! My cider is FINALLY down to 1.000, so I can bottle tonight, YEAH! I'll weigh the sugar and get it going first, then let it cool while I sanitize the bottles. Okay, put the battery in the scale, hit ON... hit ON again... ... What the bless, the 9-volt battery is almost new... YOW, it has a good zap on my tongue!... WHAT THE bless?!" Try it 50 more times... bang the scale on the counter... try it again... "GAWDAMNFVCKINGPIECEOSH!T!!!!!! Now I gotta get a new fvcking scale and I can't bottle tonight!... bless!"

True story... about half an hour ago.

After finding a great deal on CL for equipment for home brewing and bringing the listing to SWMBO:

Me: Look at all the great stuff we can get for $500!
Her: Do we really need another Kegerator (this would be the second one)
Me: Well it comes with a whole bunch of other items that we need. And means we could have one more beer on tap (would make 3 beers on tap)
Her: You clean the space for it and we can get it.
Me: Done and done.

(I got the stuff Sunday)

When I totaled the amount of worth of all the items even in a used condition after having a full inventory of what was coming for the $500 it totaled between $750-$1000 worth of items. Including the 10 gallon brew pot with spigot that I've been looking at! (Now to put a thermometer on it)

That conversation last week lent itself to this one yesterday:

Me: So one of my buddies at work has an upright freezer that he is looking to get rid of.
Her: We just got a whole bunch of brew stuff. Why do we need another freezer?
Me: I can throw a temperature control on it and use it as a fermentation chamber!
Her: How much is he asking for?
Me: (obviously knowing she is worried about too much spending) He's only looking for $75 MAX! and would be willing to go as low as $50!
Her: Oh thats it?! I was expecting $150 minimum. How soon can we get it? Oh and you get to clean the area in the garage for it.
Me: Still waiting on photos and dimensions before making the deal.

Gotta love SWMBO when she brews right along side you! Little does she know that these purchases only lead to more! (like the thermometer kit for the pot and the digital temp controller for the freezer)

All I got left to clean is the bottling bucket & wand/tube. Fermenter soaking. I can still get in my partial mash brewday. Even though I gotta pick up son at work @ 4PM. I can still do this...:drunk:

"I hope my wife doesn't clean up the living room while I'm at work today. She might throw away my empty bottles."

Back