What auber PID should I use with a Honeywell VR8200A2132 gas valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maida7

Reaction score
I'm building a brutus style system. Low pressure propane. I decided to go with the Honeywell VR8200A2132 gas valves

I'm thinking I will get my PID from Auber because they seam pretty popular with other brewers and I have already bought some RTD temp probes from them. What model is appropriate to use with this valve?

Model: SYL-2362

or

some other one? relay? SSR?

I suggest that you use the Auber SYL-2342 PID.

Here is a wiring diagram that might help you in your build:

As always - Click in the image to see and save a full scale diagram that is printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

Wishing you success.

P-J

As always - Click in the image to see and save a full scale diagram that is printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

Wishing you success.

P-J

Great wiring diagram! But the 2362 will suffice as well with this diagram. Even my pump doesn't exceed the 3A limit on the 2362.

The SYL-2362 will work, it isn't a flexible as the SYL-2342 though. The SYL-2342 is only $3 more.

Wishing you success.

P-J

Excellent. This diagram is very helpful. Thank you!

You use the 8300 gas valves. I'm using 8200 but I don't think it makes any difference.

I'm guessing this diagram will work with the 2362 or 2342 PID since the load of the gas valves is so small. Correct?

I have plenty of household electrical knowledge so I'm confident I can get r done but I've never used a resistor before. Are you showing 2 resistors? Do those get connected with crimp wire connectors?

With the fuses I assume the inline style plastic fuse holders are easy enough.

I will add a second pump outlet and pump switch.

I'm new to PIDs as well. I'm using the 2362. How is the 42 more flexible?

I assume it's more flexible in the output. The 62 has an output of 3 amps at 240vac. The 42 has an output of 10 amps at 120vac or 7 amps at 240vac.

But I'm really new to this stuff.

Anyway, I contacted Auber about my proposed setup. First their response, then my proposed setup:

Auberins:
2342/2372 use fuzzy logic PID control and can only be used for relay contact control; 2362 uses traditional PID control and can be used with contactor or SSR. But since you are planning to use on/off control with a solenoid, there is not much difference. You can use either one.

Me:
I am looking into the differences between SYL-2342, 2362, and 2372.
I am building a HERMS brewing system. I have a honeywell Y8610u
Intermittent pilot that requires 24vac. I will not be direct-firing my
mash. Instead, I will pump my wort through a coil in my hot liquor tank,
and return it to my mash (therefore, HERMS). I understand that I will need
to use on/off relay mode. I would like to be able to manually increase the
required temp to do step mashes, and do an increase to mashout temp (160).
What are the significant differences between these three PIDs? All have a
config for controlling the 24vac solenoid.

With that, I'm guessing the answer is still "it depends". I still haven't decided. I may have after that, but I put this down for a month and need to start a new train of thought. Anyone else?

If I was doing RIMS, I'd probably go with 2362 due to this statement:
A manual control function is also added that allows the user to control the heater power just like a dimmer switch for a light bulb.

However, with HERMS using a coil in my gas-fired HLT, I really just need on/off due to the latency. I think I'm leaning to 2362 still.

If I was doing RIMS, I'd probably go with 2362 due to this statement:
A manual control function is also added that allows the user to control the heater power just like a dimmer switch for a light bulb.

I assume you are refering to using a rims tube with an electric element. Correct? I'm doing a direct fire mash tun. It's also technically a rims style system but there is no rims tube. The heat is from a burner under the mash tun. I don't think you can control the burner like a dimmer switch on a light bulb. Correct?

I just finished a control panel build where I am using a RIMS tube for mashing and Honeywell gas valves on electronic ignition for the boil and HLT. For the RIMS tube I used the 2352 and for the HLT I used the 2342.

those gas valves are super expensive, im going to see if Lowes or HD has them cheaper I get 10%off there atleast

Back