Choosing a good burner...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanana

Reaction score
When it comes to burners which would you go with and why? I'm also thinking 15gal + batches. I want something that isn't a slouch and will get me through some great brews. Needing some help. Any ideas!!!

Blichmann burners kick ass... I have two, one with the longer legs, and the other stock. IMO, worth every penny. I did have a Bayou KAB4 before getting my first Blichmann burner and won't go back to that one. I've also brewed with people with the 'jet' burners. They sound like jets when you get them burning well enough to even try to come close to how the Blichmann performs. I'm typically getting more wort up to a boil than the other brewers were. I got it there faster too.

For 15 gallon batches, I would go with the Blichmann in a heartbeat.

Many people in here swear by banjo burners. I have a friend that does 40 gallons at a time with them on low pressure propane. I however only use a standard bayou classic burner (it's the sp10) for my 15 gallon pot.

Someone posted something about a 110k or so BTU burner from Lowes or homedepot for 49$$$. Is that a good deal?

Blichmann burners kick ass... I have two, one with the longer legs, and the other stock. IMO, worth every penny. I did have a Bayou KAB4 before getting my first Blichmann burner and won't go back to that one. I've also brewed with people with the 'jet' burners. They sound like jets when you get them burning well enough to even try to come close to how the Blichmann performs. I'm typically getting more wort up to a boil than the other brewers were. I got it there faster too.

For 15 gallon batches, I would go with the Blichmann in a heartbeat.

I use the Bayou KAB4 for my 11 gallon double batches. It will easily boil my 13 gallon pre-boil volume in about 15 minutes after I put the runnings in the pot. It's also pretty efficient. I can get about four 11 gal batches from one 15lb tank and that includes heating all the mash and sparge water as well. It works out to about $2 worth of propane for every 5.5 gallon fermenter it produces...not bad really.

I'm in the market for a new burner myself, but torn on what to get.
I am leaning toward the blichmann burner, although it pisses me off to have to pay the blichmann tax just because they've put their name on it.
They do seem to be the best blend of efficiency and power though.
I wish Bayou classic still made the SP10 with a 20psi regulator. My friend has one and its a great burner for the price.

Someone told me that at homedepot or lowes there is a good and cheap burner that puts out over 100k btu and is around 50? I like the Blichmann, I mean who doesn't, but it's hard to spend that money when so many others have made it work and made it work well without shelling the money. I almost feel like your just paying for a name.

It's pretty short sighted to just look at the retail cost and say it is cheaper and does the job. Here's some real math from my personal experience:

My Blichmann can do about 18 five gallon batches per propane tank, while my Bayou SQ14 can do about 8.

A propane refill at WalMart cost me $16.00, so the SQ14 uses about $2.00 a batch in propane, the Blichmann uses about $0.89 a batch in propane

The Bayou SQ14 cost me $50.00. My Blichmann cost me $149.00.

SO, easy math, easy conclusion. If you are going to do LESS than 89ish batches on the burner over it's lifetime, the SQ14 is cheaper. If you are going to do MORE than 89, the Blichmann is cheaper.

This doesn't even factor in the build quality over a longer period, where the Blichmann wins hands down. I brew 30+ batches a year, so the Blichmann is a no-brainer for me. If you don't brew much, a less expensive retail cost burner may be right for you.

At around $100.00, the Banjo burner has the same efficient burner element as the Blichmann, but a housing more like the SQ14, and presents an even better value. Then, you are talking a break even point of closer to 45 batches.

I might be off a little, but overall, you really can't argue with the numbers. The more expensive, more efficient burners are a much better value for those that brew frequently.

I have the blichmann. It is not only quiet but it heats damn fast

EDIT: Just notice blichmann not Brinkmann. Saw turkey fryer in earlier post - IMO just enough for 5 gallon batches

I have a Brinkmann turkey fryer burner and a Bayou Classic SP10. The SP10 is at least twice as fast as the turkey fryer and I will soon be replacing the fryer burner with another SP10.

With my turkey fryer I would guess to make strike water from tap temps for a 10 gallon batch would take well over an hour.

I just purchased the Brinkmann Outdoor Gas Cooker Stand from Home Depot. It is the 100,000 BTU burner and does a good job. It boils 6 Gals of water in about 20 min. It controls the flame well too.

I sware I have to keep myself from buying the Blichmann. I would if my SQ14 didn't do such a good job with my 5 gallon batches. (~6.5-7 gallon boils) I used to think I would go for the KAB6 but changed my mind after reading how it sits the kettle too high and needs to be modified (lowered) for best results.

That said... If I were looking for the larger batch boils as you seem to be, I would throw down the cash for the Blichmann Floor Burner!

The blichmann kettles are overpriced bling. Their burner, on the other hand is the best value, best performing, most practical, and simply must-have burner available. (Get the 24 inch extensions too, they are worth it

I have one, and 2 of my brew-buddies have them. None of us would ever go with anything else.

I'm getting 6 gallons out of fermenter (filling two 3 gallon corny kegs), which means I'm putting 6.75-7 gallons in. Which means I normally start the boil with close to (or over) 9 gallons. Which is why I both use a keggle AND the Blichmann burner (with the longer legs). IF I was only getting ~6-7 gallons up to a boil, the Bayou burner(s) would probably do ok. I've long since left that batch/pre-boil size behind. :rockin:

IMO, the Blichmann burners are well worth the cost. Even when I get a brew stand, I plan on keeping them for when I either brew someplace else, or have people over that also want to brew.

I'm all about the whole using something for all levels, something that can grow with me. Now, the Blichmann burner, can it be attached to a welded brew stand for later one all grain brewing.

I'm all about the whole using something for all levels, something that can grow with me. Now, the Blichmann burner, can it be attached to a welded brew stand for later one all grain brewing.

I don't see why not. It's mounted to the Blichmann housing with screws. So as long as the mount holes in the stand align it should be fine.

I'm in the market for a new burner myself, but torn on what to get.
I am leaning toward the blichmann burner, although it pisses me off to have to pay the blichmann tax just because they've put their name on it.
They do seem to be the best blend of efficiency and power though.
I wish Bayou classic still made the SP10 with a 20psi regulator. My friend has one and its a great burner for the price.

Blichmann takes the same burner unit as the Bayou Classic and polishes it along with drilling out all the holes and giving it a different regulator. Then puts it into a stainless steel casing. IMO, it's worth the "tax" since they actually do extra work to make it better.

Nohup said:
The blichmann kettles are overpriced bling. Their burner, on the other hand is the best value, best performing, most practical, and simply must-have burner available. (Get the 24 inch extensions too, they are worth it

I have one, and 2 of my brew-buddies have them. None of us would ever go with anything else.

Ok so officially I think I'm saving up for the Blichmann burner. Can anyone tell me if the 24 leg extension is sturdy, because the legs sort of look close together.

Oh and when I am talking about "being over priced" I was referencing their kettles, I'm going with spikebrewing.com because I think they have better deals and I like their pots a little bit better.

I'm in your position also. I looked at Bayou Classics new 15gal Brewing setup, Polarware etc. I told myself no way would I spend the extra $1-200 more to drink the kool-aid of owning a Blichmann. But after a few more batches under my belt and the mistakes that happened I looked at the Blichmann more seriously. Sure it has a lot of bells and whistles many of which are standard. But then I realized if I wanted alot of the same features I would have increased the price considerably on lower priced pots. Even then I ask, "what if?" when it came to evolving my brewing. Personally I hate buying something that suits me for a time or simply doesn't perform as I had hoped and I wind up spending more than if I just bought the more expensive product. I have had more positive results from paying a bit more than buying stuff that is less expensive. I was going to go with the $300 16gal Bayou Classic brewing pot setup and a KAB6 burner. After carefully weighing features, benefits, customer satisfaction I decided I am going with the Blichmann 20 gal pot and floor burner with leg extensions.

Seanana said:
Ok so officially I think I'm saving up for the Blichmann burner. Can anyone tell me if the 24 leg extension is sturdy, because the legs sort of look close together.

Oh and when I am talking about "being over priced" I was referencing their kettles, I'm going with spikebrewing.com because I think they have better deals and I like their pots a little bit better.

Yeah the legs a sturdy, just dont be stupid and use the burner on non level ground

The legs are very sturdy. I actually drilled holes in the bottom of the legs and bolted my Blichmann to my brew stand instead of "mounting" the burner, and the legs keep the burner firmly in place.

All good points in this string but something noone has touched on is natural gas. if you ever want to upgrade to NG then you will want some kind of banjo burner such as the blichmann or the one by bayou classic. the smaller burners like the SP10 are great for propane puting off about 150000 BTU's but cannot (or should not) be used for NG.

TopherM said:
It's pretty short sighted to just look at the retail cost and say it is cheaper and does the job. Here's some real math from my personal experience:

My Blichmann can do about 18 five gallon batches per propane tank, while my Bayou SQ14 can do about 8.

A propane refill at WalMart cost me $16.00, so the SQ14 uses about $2.00 a batch in propane, the Blichmann uses about $0.89 a batch in propane

SO, easy math, easy conclusion. If you are going to do LESS than 89ish batches on the burner over it's lifetime, the SQ14 is cheaper. If you are going to do MORE than 89, the Blichmann is cheaper.

This doesn't even factor in the build quality over a longer period, where the Blichmann wins hands down. I brew 30+ batches a year, so the Blichmann is a no-brainer for me. If you don't brew much, a less expensive retail cost burner may be right for you.

At around $100.00, the Banjo burner has the same efficient burner element as the Blichmann, but a housing more like the SQ14, and presents an even better value. Then, you are talking a break even point of closer to 45 batches.

I might be off a little, but overall, you really can't argue with the numbers. The more expensive, more efficient burners are a much better value for those that brew frequently.

I think you have a valid point, I didn't really know about the Blichmann burners. I was really just referencing the kettles. I'm sure there is some crazy reason I don't understand as why they are better, I just can't spend that much on a kettle.

another plug for the blichmann.

there is a comfort knowing I'll never have to buy another burner. It's sturdy, hot, and very efficient. I do 5.5 gallon batches in a 15 gallon kettle and have it turned WAY down to maintain a good boil. I've gotten 4 brew days on my current LP tank and it's still not empty, that's with heating strike and sparge water too.

Used to be a commercial raft guide and we used one of these prepping meals for 30+ people, thinking about one in the future since I still have access to some outfitter pricing. It is simple Super tough and folds up nicely if you need to save space. We used some huge pots on it on all kinds of surfaces and never had a stability problem. 120k BTU so it will boil basically any size and has good temp control. Anyone ever tried one for brewing?

Master Blaster

18 batches per tank really? I get 4 with my burner and though it may not be the most efficient burner, I can't even fathom 18 batches. Is that with heating both the strike and sparge water?

Back