ABV ? adding liquor to fermented beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

left field brewer

Reaction score
So I am thinking of brewing a low alcohol ale, possibly with some maltodextrine and spiking it with infused vodka. But I want to still end up with a fairly reasonable ABV(under 7%) so I need to determine how much that "x" quantity 40% vodka will raise ABV of 5G(or whatever batch size) of "x%" beer to. I could probably figure it out by myself, but I'm not really a math guy. Besides, I know there are a plethora of smarties here who will be glad to display their numerical prowess. I wish I would have been paying attention more in algebra. Damn.

I still don't understand why you want to do this, but for the math challenged:

There are 25.3 oz in a fifth of vodka.

40% of 25.3 is 10.12 oz of alcohol.

There are 640 oz in 5 gallons.

10.12 oz divided by (640 + 25.3) is 1.5%.

So, adding a fifth of 80 proof vodka to 5 gallons of beer will increase the ABV by 1.5%.

"Infused" vodka. Thanks Yuri, thats what I came up with after thinking for a minute. My initial guess seemed low until I wrote it out. How much do you think I could add before tasting the vodka? I was initially thinking about adding around 3 to 4 cups with less being better. I still want it to taste like a beer but have noticeable added benefits.

Do it an report back. I can't imagine it'll be good, but here's to hoping.

Umm...I think you'd be better off infusing the beer rather than trying to flavor it with vodka. Post the flavor you're after, and maybe we can help.

It is not used for the alcohol from the vodka. I know how to obtain a higher gravity and my beers are usually around 6-7% anyway. I didn't need help to design my recipe, just the equation used to figure out final ABV from combining two ABVs of beer and vodka. I don't think I shall come out and directly say what I am attempting to do. That might implicate me or something. Anyone get it? Oh, and for the record, I DO NOT drink that girly flavored SH*T. Only the straight Goose for me.
Ya figured it out while I was typing. Sorry. I don't understand how it wouldn't work if infused in vodka first. Seems as though being liquid would make it absorb fast into the body. I know beer doesn't have enough alcohol to dissolve enough of the necessary chemical, but vodka should, right?

Seriously, we know you're making pot beer. We ALL do. Otherwise what you're saying doesn't make ANY sense at all. You sound like a narc trying to ask for some of 'the stuff' thinking that if you don't explicitly say it, you won't get in trouble. Yuri was kind enough point out if you searched for "marijuana" in the search box up at the top you'll find a thread with your answer.

EDIT: dammit Yuri! I was too slow!

I think the funniest part is that you seem to think you're being so sneaky about wanting to put pot in beer, but ignoring all of the existing threads about it. Wouldn't READING what's already there be less conspicuous than posting about it yourself, if you're so paranoid?

That is, of course, to say nothing about the stupidity of the idea in the first place, which you may have come to realize if you'd actually done some of the aforementioned reading.
Yuri_Rage said:
Now if only you could reach out and staple it to his forehead :D

anyone ever had Panther Ice?

it tastes like Red Dog with a shot of vodka in it

maybe this is a clone recipe attempt?

Sorry Yuri, I didn't know you'd take that kind of attitude. I was just curious and didn't want to directly discuss it, or search for it. Big brother is watching, ya know(and of course, he knows best). Didn't mean to annoy or offend.

Dude, it was just pretty obvious what you were getting at, and it's been discussed very openly here. Personally, I try to stay away from the topic, but I kinda got suckered into this one. It's ok...next time just do a forum search, first. No hard feelings.

cnbudz said:
I'd like to revise my first post.

Do the shot, chase it with the beer, then just smoke the friggin' joint!

You forgot the "then pass out", or the " then start a fire in someone's kitchen, maybe go to SeaWorld, take my pants off" step.:D ;)

ib4tl!...8910

:D

That was in Beerfest. I can't remember what they called it, but it was chug a beer, take a shot, then take a hit. Anyone remember?

ohiobrewtus said:
ib4tl!...8910

:D

That was in Beerfest. I can't remember what they called it, but it was chug a beer, take a shot, then take a hit. Anyone remember?

Post #1,234 Ohio - Congrats!

East Wind Rain.
It's snowing in Berlin.
The eagle has landed.

See how annoying being obtuse is.

Should I post his IP?

This is not a General Technique.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back